Nausea while running??

Options
I have been working my way up to running, last week I was able to make it a full 2 miles at a pace of about 5.5mph. But twice this week I have had to walk to keep from being sick. My stomach has started getting very upset and it is frustrating me because I think I should be improvign my indurance, and this seems like going backwards.

I make sure not to eat too soon before my run ( I have a snack at 9 and run on my lunch break at 11). I don't have any medical conditions, other than asthma, but that has been under control the whole time. So I don't know what is going on.

Any runners out there have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, or how to push through this and improve my running?

Replies

• katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Odd. Its good to wait a few hours after eating to run, and you're doing that. If you are eating for energy before your run, get simple carbs, like white bread, etc so your stomach can break it down faster. I avoid sugary stuff as well. Could it be gas as well? If its lady time you could just be bloated/gassy :embarassed:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have been working my way up to running, last week I was able to make it a full 2 miles at a pace of about 5.5mph. But twice this week I have had to walk to keep from being sick. My stomach has started getting very upset and it is frustrating me because I think I should be improvign my indurance, and this seems like going backwards.

I make sure not to eat too soon before my run ( I have a snack at 9 and run on my lunch break at 11). I don't have any medical conditions, other than asthma, but that has been under control the whole time. So I don't know what is going on.

Any runners out there have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, or how to push through this and improve my running?

My guess would be overexertion is causing it. Maybe dial down the intensity and it will go away with time. Dehydration could also cause nausea, but 2 miles isn't likely to cause enough dehydration to make you feel sick- you would have to be somewhat dehydrated before going in to the run to experience those symptoms, so drink more water if you're not getting enough.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the EXACT same problem. As soon as I exerted myself and not overly working, I would feel the need to throw up. My doctor told me I have reactive hypoglycemia. It means that even before you go running you need to eat a bit like a half hour before. I tend to eat about 6 almonds and ready to go. You could also use those running gels as well to keep your blood sugar up while working out. I know it sounds crazy but its a true diagnosis. So make sure to work on it and make sure to stay hydrated as well. Good luck. If you have any more questions don't hesistate to add me as a friend.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel nauseous after a hard run. Maybe you're pushing too hard if you have just started running. Try taking a walk break every couple of minutes, or run a little slower and see if that helps. Once you build your endurance you can work on improving your speed.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Is it getting warmer where you are? Overheating/dehydration cause that for me. If you are super-new to running and have built quickly to running 2 miles at 5.5, then maybe your heart rate is slightly too high? This can cause lots of problems for me. It will also speed up the overheating and dehydration. Instead of trying to run the whole time and getting discouraged when you can't, make it your plan to run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute and repeat or something like that and see if it helps.

I hope you figure it out! I love running, and it is such good exercise that you can take anywhere you go!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I get this too. Most of the time it is gas, but sometimes I just can't seem to fight it. I just walk for a while until it settles and then run again. It is SUPER frustrating cause you know you could handle the distance any other time. Just don't fret about it. We all have things that slow us down. The important thing is that you start back up once you feel better. If you figure out a way to stop the pain, please let me know! :flowerforyou: Sorry I couldnt be more help.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    During our team trainings at night, it's pretty common for the guys to puke. The days where I push myself to that point are the ones I feel I go 110% It's really from pushing our bodies so hard that the diaphram spasms. It will pass.

It does always make for a good story post-workout.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

This is odd since 2 miles isn't enough time or distance to suffer from the usual suspects - dehydration, glycogen depletion, or lactic acid build-up. Plus, you are good about eating well in advance.

Is 5.5 mph leaving you winded? Do you recall your Hear Rate? Is your heart pounding at that speed?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds strange, but do you have any problems with motion sickness, car sickness or vertigo type thing? If so, it could be related. Two things to try...wear a headband or hat that covers your ears. Suck on a piece of hard candy (like a Jolly Rancher ) when you run. I have experienced similar problems and these two things have worked for me. Also, make sure you are eating enough. Low blood sugar can also cause this type of reaction.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I started running, I would feel like I would throw up and my hubby would say keep running. If I had to puke then I did and then just kept going. After a few times then I got past it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    This is odd since 2 miles isn't enough time or distance to suffer from the usual suspects - dehydration, glycogen depletion, or lactic acid build-up. Plus, you are good about eating well in advance.

I'd agree on the lactic unless this is a particularly strenuous run for her. A relatively short run doesn't disqualify the other two as factors, though. The machine must be fed.

I'd start by having a carbohydrate snack about a half hour before running (a little oatmeal, a couple of slices of decent bread, something in the 100-200 calorie range) and drinking plenty of water.

If that makes the symptoms go away, then it was probably either glycogen depletion or dehydration.

I used to run 2-3 miles at lunch then drink water and eat something when I returned. I dry-heaved a lot and couldn't run to save my life. Having two 16oz glasses of water and a granola bar a half hour before my attempt really improved things, and my efforts started actually resembling running. Sorta. Well, it wasn't "purple sweaty fat man dry-heaving on some stranger's lawn" at least. Progress!
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement. The comment about lactic acid build-up reminded me of something my high school soccer coach warned me about. I have not been stretching properly after running, and even though I have been working up to running the full 2 miles in intervals (walk/run), this is new a difficult for me. I should be stretching to release that acid build-up. I am going to try making sure I get in a good stretching session each night and see if that stops this problem.

You guys are awesome!! I hope I get it figured out, I really do want to be one of those crazy folks that runs the 14ers I hike every summer!