Resistance bands vs dumbbells

Options
Does anyone have any opinions on this? I'm trying to decide what would be the better way to go. Part of me is thinking dumbbells because that is all I've ever used, but they can add up if I keep having to buy heavier ones. I would love to get the SelectTech dumbbells, but they are soo expensive. I'm intriqued by the Bodylastic sets. Are they awkward to work with? I could get a lot more bang for my buck. I already have 3, 5, 8 & 15lb dumbbells, but would need to add something between the 8 & 15 and then something heavier for legs.

Replies

• mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've tried both. For me bands are easier and the dumb bells are harder - therefore give more of a workout. But you are right they are more expensive. There are other brands of adjustable weights other than Select Tech that in my opinion are better....and cheaper. You might check craigslist for used ones also.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are not going to offer you any real advantage over dumbells. Most of the movements they are used for can be easily done with dumbell, and there are a ton of other things you can do with weights you couldn't do with a resistance band.

Perhaps an adjustable dumbell would be a better investment.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I just switched from jillian michaels 30 day shred to slim in 6. It uses resistance bands instead of weights where as Jillian uses weights. In the slim in 6 videos say if the resistance bands are too hard switch to dumbells. I assumed it was because the resistance bands were harder.

Basically I am not sure yet which ones I like better. I guess time will tell if I dont see continued results.

Bump to see more opinions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Bands are "progressive" resistance only. This means that the resistance is only on the "concentric" contraction of a movement and not the "eccentric" contraction. With dumbells you get both contractions. If you want to save space and money, look into TRX suspension system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have used both and personally feel like the resistance bands are uncomfortable in my hands. I've decided through trying different things that old school methods (like dumbbells) work best for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    dumbbells give you the same resistance through the entire movement whereas bands are harder at the end/top of a moment, but very little resistance at the bottom. Dumbbells in my view are much better, but bands are a good option when traveling.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with using bands. Some of them can be used to get in excess of 100# of resistance.
    Bands are also really good to use for stretching.
    You don't need ones with handles either, you can just get the "loop of rubber" ones at different thicknesses. Those are uch more useful and adaptable (you can also use bicycle inner tubes).

There is a difference in the way they can exert your muscles over a free weight. Often with a free weight the big resistance is in the initial part of the movement - once you get past that certain point, it can get easier to move. However, the band is typically the opposite, where it gets harder the longer you are into the movement. More advanced moves can and will utilize both weights and bands so the exercise starts hard and ends hard :)

So, in summary. Nothing wrong with bands as there's a lot you can do with them More bang for your buck and when you out grow them for strength movements, they are still perfect to use whilst stretching. They can also be doubled or used together to increase resistance and assist other exercises (e.g. Hold a dumbbell and a band).
    Start with the bands (or bike tube) then invest in dumbbells if you feel the need. The last thing you want is a useless dumbell that you spent money on and out grew in no time.
  • kcoyle220
    kcoyle220 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd probably search for deals and try to get both.

Straight weight is great for building muscle, but bands have their place too.
    I use resistance bands a lot for upper back work, warmups, rehab work, and to accommodate resistance on other lifts (adding them to barbells).
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    @ilovedeadlift, is that picture a pull of >5 bills ?
    I'm assuming you have 100/55/45/35+bar (and change?)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have resistance bands, dumbbells, and a suspension trainer. My opinions on each one:

Resistance bands:

PROS
    -Many basic lifts end up with more core engagement vs. dumbbells (a result of you standing on the bands to keep tension)
    -Ability to recreate not only dumbbell exercises, but also cable machine exercises such as lat pulldowns and cable crossovers (when used in conjunction with a door hook, which most band kits come with)
    -Portable
    -Cheap

CONS
    -Many exercises feel awkward due to how standing on the bands to keep tension can throw off your balance
    -Exercises that don't normally involve a large range of motion in the travel of the "weight" (such as deadlifts and shrugs) are impossible to do
    -Exercises that involve standing on the bands are limits to once you can do completely flat footed (no calf raises) because if your foot loses the band, the band snaps up and hits you.
    -Pulling on the tension of the band can limit your range of motion, resulting in doing some exercises with poor form that you would otherwise do with proper form, such as a smith machine.
    -Bands that come in higher resistance levels (I would say upwards of ~80 lbs of tension rating of the band) are very awkward to use because the tension bands can create at those high tension levels can put tension on your tensions and joints in a way weights don't, resulting in a risk of injury.

CONCLUSION
    -Bands are an affordable home replacement for a cable machine, NOT for dumbbells. The ones I have at home I use exclusively for exercises that require use of the door hook. Exercises that involve having to stand on the bands end up being just too awkward.

Dumbbells:

PROS
    -Resistance does not depend on range of motion, so exercises that involve limited range of motion of the weight itself such as shrugs and deadlifts can be done.
    -Allows free movement.
    -Allows all manners of resistance levels.

CONS
    -Not portable.
    -Not cheap.
    -Limited to exercises that depend on the downward pull of gravity to create resistance, so in order to do many exercises it must be supplemented with a cable machine (or bands).
    -Takes up lots of space.

CONCLUSION
    -Great for someone with money to throw around or a lot of storage space, but a complete set is not feasible for most people. Overall the best solution for home if you have the space and the money, but ideally should be complemented by a cable machine or at the very least a pullup bar and a set of bands.

Suspension trainer:

PROS
    -Great total body training tool.
    -Great for complexes and circuit training.
    -Modifying resistance level mid-set is as easy as stepping forward or backward a step.
    -LOTS of core engagement with most exercises, essentially eliminating the need to do core-specific exercises if you set your circuit up right.
    -Portable
    -Affordable
    -FUN TO USE!
    -Useable by all fitness levels.
    -Improves balance and coordination.

CONS
    -Unless you get one with a rotational pulley mechanism, you cannot do many isolation exercises.
    -Bodyweight training is not ideal for adding high levels of muscle mass (if that is your goal)
    -You have to do a lot of research when shopping for them to find out which one is right for you.

CONCLUSION
    -Probably the best choice of the bunch unless your goal specifically is building muscle mass. It's portable, it's fun to use, and it can be adapted to any fitness level.

I hope this didn't sound biased at all lol. If it did I didn't mean for it to. But I really love suspension trainers. I own two, a Lifeline USA Jungle Gym XT and a Crosscore 180. I also own a set of resistance bands and some dumbbells. The dumbbells mainly collect dust and the resistance bands are permanently fixed to the door hook because the only thing I use them for is lat pulldowns.