5' 8" aiming to be 110...

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
Yesterday a female posted on this site that she was 5' 8" tall, and 123 pounds. She stated she was looking to achieve a goal weight of 110 pounds, to reduce her 'muffin top' and 'tone up'. I, along with about 20 others, responded that this is an unrealistic and unhealthy goal for a 5' 8" female, and that instead she should consider weight training. Of course, this would result in the number in the scale going up, but her muffin top would be reduced. I tried to explain how muscle is more dense than fat, so it weighs more but takes up less space. Well, apparently she didn't like the answer because the post has since been deleted. Then when I went to the gym last night I saw this...

IMG-20120510-00080.jpg

What do you know? A perfect visual representation of what I was trying to explain! It shows what 5 pounds of muscle looks like (the red) compared to 5 pounds of fat (the yellow junk). I snapped a picture and logged on today to share the photo with this woman, but since her post has been deleted I cannot. I'm posting it here so hopefully she will see it. This also goes out to all the other woman on MFP who are obsessing over the number on the scale. I challenge you to forget about that number! We're all here to just make our bodies look better right? So why focus on an arbitrary number? Increase your muscle mass and you will look thinner. It's that simple ladies! Pick up some weights and look like a goddess. :)

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    There's a really good youtube video illustrating this idea as well that I found awhile back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw

Although it is not more important than the way I look and feel, I will say that the number on the scale IS important to me. I get frustrated when people start encouraging people to "forget the scale" because just like any other tool, it is an important indicator (although not the end-all be-all).
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I agree. Weight is a good indicator, and you should weigh yourself from time to time. I just want to encourage women not to worry about it *all* the time. There are too many women who weigh themselves daily, which just leads to depression and then giving up all together. I usually weigh myself about every week or so just to make sure nothing crazy is going on, but rely more on how my clothes fit on a day-to-day basis.

And that video is great, thanks for adding!
  • momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was actually just posting this morning about how I wanted to lose the little extra in my thighs/baby pooch, but that I wasn't comfortable losing any more weight. I am 5'7 at 119, and I can't imagine being 110 pounds. I am gonna push the weights starting tomorrow, because I don't want to be stupidly underweight.
  • MantraMommy
    MantraMommy Posts: 22
    Options
    This is an AWESOME visual. Thank you so much. This is very inspirational.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    Yep, kelsey. Just, yep.

I was hoping the thread was something like "I AM 5'8" AIMING TO BE 110:

1. in my back squat, today; or
    2. for my deadlifts, today; or
    3. in my bench press, today; or
    4. seconds to get through "the body matrix"

Just saying....
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! :bigsmile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The scale can be a good indicator as long as you are NOT athlete or a heavy weight trainer. I say this as many athletes (excluding long distance runners) have more muscle to support the sport and many times will be over weight and obese according to their BMI. I will never be "healthy" according to the weight charts and obese according to the BMI charts since I am 200 lbs. But I am 12% body fat.
  • marirocks225
    marirocks225 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    this post was so helpful !! thanks :)
  • miamigirl123
    miamigirl123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!!! There are two main reasons why people want to lose weight: to be skinnier or to be healthier. I find that using health as a motivator, makes weight loss a long term achievement as compared to just looking skinnier. I know this because I have had both goals in mind at some point in my life, and being healthy is a great reward for me!! The toned abs are a great bonus ;)
  • fatforthewin
    Options
    This is a good topic, but "ideal weight" is pretty relative. In my opinion, "weight" (much less "ideal weight", whatever that is) is not a very good determinant of health at all. Much better to have blood samples taken and hormone levels checked. And bone density tests and lean mass tests.

I really don't like pushing people into a "health" mould. We are so diverse it seems a little crazy to me.