How to find fat burning zone?

I just bought a Polar FT4 HRM. I thought it would calculate on there what my fat buring HR zone would be (maybe it does and I just don't know how to work it). I remember my personal trainer told me a formula for finding the fat burning zone. Does anyone know how to calculate this? Also, what is the difference between Fat Burning Zone and Fitness Zone. I saw someone talking about that on another post. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    There are a lot of calculators out there. But how I was taught was if when you're doing cardio you can't hold a conversation then you're going to fast.
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    BUMP
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Fat burning zone is a myth.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Don't even look for it.

The fat burning zone is around 60% to 70% of your maxHR. In this low intensity zone you do use a higher percentage of calories from fat as fuel but you use way fewer calories in total.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/the-secret-to-weight-loss-workouts-you-may-not-like-the-answer/article1662687/

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

Hitting the training or cardio zone is still relatively low intensity, still burns calories from fat but burns a lot more calories and is sufficiently intense to provide significant improvement sin cardiovascular health.
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    i don't know about the separate zones but i do know they say to take your age from 180 and thats ideal. (i.e. I'm 27 so i start with 180, subtract 27 = 153... ideal heart rate for best cardio increasing endurance and still burning good amounts of fat) also on another note while talking about it your heart rate should never go over 220 - your age, thats very bad for you ;)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Whether or not fat is the primary source of fuel during your workout is irrelevant. Caloric balance over time is what determines net fat loss.

For example, using primarily stored carb during a workout ---> those stores are refilled later on in the day
    > less carbs available for immediate energy
    > fat burning pathways upregulated. When it's all said and done, it's calories in/calories out.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you're averaging at least 65% of your maximum heart rate, then you are burning calories.

Here's an interesting tool for closely estimating calories burned based on your average heart rate during activity, and VO2Max (which is comparable to the OWNindex that your HRM can determine for you)

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I just got a Polar HRM today too!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    i don't know about the separate zones but i do know they say to take your age from 180 and thats ideal. (i.e. I'm 27 so i start with 180, subtract 27 = 153... ideal heart rate for best cardio increasing endurance and still burning good amounts of fat) also on another note while talking about it your heart rate should never go over 220 - your age, thats very bad for you ;)

220-your age as MaxHR has been shown to have little or no scientific validity yet there are a bazillion HRMs out there using it.

Based on that my MaxHR would be 164 and my heart should explode if I hit 165bpm.....I'll average around 150 on a long run and can carry on a conversation, I'll easily peak in the 180s doing hill work.....

Where did 180 - your age come from?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Yeah, I never really bought into the whole 'fat burning zone' thing. I never ONCE paid attention to trying to stay in that range (usually I was/am over it) and I certainly managed to lose a sh*tload of fat!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    If you're averaging at least 65% of your maximum heart rate, then you are burning calories.

if you are breathing you are burning calories
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    hi
  • secretlobster

if you are breathing you are burning calories

Sorry for not phrasing this well. I mean, you are burning a substantial amount of calories through cardiovascular exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Don't even try, just workout hard, the harder you work the more cals you burn the better shape you get in the more fat you lose.

fat burning zone is a myth.
  • secretlobster
    fat burning zone is a myth.

It really is. Trying to maintain some kind of "fat burning zone" is going to be frustrating for no real payout. I don't believe in a fat burning zone personally, I lost 40lbs without caring about heart rate because I worked hard... The amount of weight you lose will be a function of how well you eat, and how hard you work :)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Fat burning zone is a myth.

It is not a myth, the source of fuel your body uses (stored glucose vs. stored fat and glucose together) does vary based on exertion levels. The myth is that it has any real impact on weight loss--it doesn't, for reasons others have described. It's pretty much only relevant if you're doing something that involves endurance (e.g. running a marathon).
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    interesting read guys .....so does anyone actually know how to work it out then?? lol
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    interesting read guys .....so does anyone actually know how to work it out then?? lol
    1. Find your resting heart rate first thing in the morning.
    2. Find your max which for women is 206 − (0.88 × age). Or do a "run 'til you puke" test to get it more accurate.
    3. Subtract 1 from 2.
    4. Multiply the result by 0.6 and add back resting heart rate. That's your 60% bottom of fat burning zone.
    5. Repeat step 4. multiplying by 0.7. That's your 70% top of fat burning zone.

Then ignore all that and work out much harder!
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    1. Find your resting heart rate first thing in the morning.
    2. Find your max which for women is 206 − (0.88 × age). Or do a "run 'til you puke" test to get it more accurate.
    3. Subtract 1 from 2.
    4. Multiply the result by 0.6 and add back resting heart rate. That's your 60% bottom of fat burning zone.
    5. Repeat step 4. multiplying by 0.7. That's your 70% top of fat burning zone.

Then ignore all that and work out much harder!

lol thanks I think I will take that advice (might just program it in my ft4 just for reference just cos I'm geeky like that) :)
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Even in endurance training the "Fat Burning Zone" is not relevant enough to worry about how to find it.