Runners (or cyclists): Jelly Beans vs. Gu

Options
MoreBean13
MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
Hi! I've been wondering recently if you could substitute any nice sugary garbage candy for gu on long runs. It would certainly be easier and cheaper to throw a small handful of jellybeans (or gummy bears or whatever) in a baggy then remembering to bring a gu with me...

This came up the other day, I accidentally did a much longer run than I intended when I left my house, so I had nothing with me. I always keep a couple bucks cash in my armband for an ICE bottle of water en route, but I wondered if I could get the same benefits from cheap-o candy during a long run as clif shots or power gel or gu. Any thoughts?

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I saw that raisins are supposed to be good for this for long runs so I am going to try when I hit 10mi. I am curious about this too.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have never tried gu or any other type of gels. Years ago when i started running they simply were not around to the extent that they are now. I always relied on jelly beans and candy. I suppose i should give the gels or blocks a try. Maybe they work better, but I have nothing to compare them to. So i guess I can't actually answer your question, but I can verify that jelly beans and gummie candies will work better than nothing at all.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a marathon runner and he swears by chia seeds soaked in water overnight. It makes a gel that has both carbs and protein in it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't like to chew while I am running, so the gels work better for me. That being said, you don't really need them for anything under 90 minutes. Your body should have enough fuel stored for that time period. With THAT being said, I think it's better to train without supplemental nutrition and use it on race day. Train the body to use it's own fuel stores as efficiently as possible and then supplement that on race day when you really need it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    C'mon it's gotta be POPTARTS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I use GU...but I dont use anything if its under an hour. Im addicted to the PB ones! On my last half...I did a gell..a clif bar and about 20 pretzel m & ms. I ran really well :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I don't like to chew while I am running, so the gels work better for me. That being said, you don't really need them for anything under 90 minutes. Your body should have enough fuel stored for that time period. With THAT being said, I think it's better to train without supplemental nutrition and use it on race day. Train the body to use it's own fuel stores as efficiently as possible and then supplement that on race day when you really need it.

For the most part I agree with you and I know when to use supplements. I disagree about using something on race day that you haven't trained with though, I would never try something new during a race. I'm talking about a situation where I was on a long run, and I felt like I was losing my gusto at around an hour in.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The advantage to Gus is convenience and the fact they have electrolytes in them. That said I know people who can't stomach them so they take PB&Js, bananas, etc. I would imagine candy would work the same way Coke does for triathletes/marathoners.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

For the most part I agree with you and I know when to use supplements. I disagree about using something on race day that you haven't trained with though, I would never try something new during a race. I'm talking about a situation where I was on a long run, and I felt like I was losing my gusto at around an hour in.

I should have added that I do training runs where I practice with that I'm going to use on race day. I just don't use any supplements during training runs as a matter of course.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I use GU...but I dont use anything if its under an hour. Im addicted to the PB ones! On my last half...I did a gell..a clif bar and about 20 pretzel m & ms. I ran really well :)

Oh man, clif bars sit like a rock in my stomach! I couldn't eat one of them until afterwards.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was using clifshots and found them quite good (chocolate......yummy) but I've started making my own "gel" in a flask and it's a fraction of the cost. (Honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water to dilute it - and it tastes like Halloween candy!:happy: )
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    My hubby is a marathon runner and he swears by chia seeds soaked in water overnight. It makes a gel that has both carbs and protein in it.

That is one I've never heard of! Maybe I'll give that a shot sometime! Not exactly something you could get at a 7-11 on the way though :tongue:
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Long distance hiker here...Gummy bears work great!!! Though, I'm not sure how I'd feel about chewing and running either.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I was using clifshots and found them quite good (chocolate......yummy) but I've started making my own "gel" in a flask and it's a fraction of the cost. (Honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water to dilute it - and it tastes like Halloween candy!:happy: )

Ooh that sounds interesting. I have all of those things...but do youpull out an actual flask when you're running. or are you talking about like those little water belt flask things? Haha its a pretty funny image imagining you with a madmen style pocket flask on a run

ETA...I bet those honey sticks - straw looking honey filled things would work too. and a salt packet....
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options

That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options

THIS !!

I was wondering what was considered a long run, but this post says all that's needed to be said really.

Except I will say, gummy bears is not real food, it's more likely to be detrimental to overall performance in the long term. They may provide a short term spike that may make you feel energetic, but there's no long term substance behind them. Eventually, it'll probably turn into a thing where you are just gobbling gummy bears for no real benefit - even a cyclical thing where you need gummy bears to run because you're eating gummy bears.
  • strangeways
    strangeways Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gu and other gels are not just straight suger like cheap candy. They provide sodium (50mg) and electorolytes that help with cramping. However, they are not needed on anything less than an hour. I am a cyclist and will ride sometimes for 4 hours at a time. At times when I have failed to use Gu I have had cramping in my hamstrings. I swear by the energy gels and believe they not only provide the energy that candy would provide but provide additional benefits to keep your muscles performing over long periods of time.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I use a few "sport" jelly beans (they have the same benefits as the gels, but in bean form) The gels make me queazy. A friend of mine likes to munch on little pieces of raw potato on long runs.... :huh: .... uuhhh... I'll stick with my jelly beans!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Ooh that sounds interesting. I have all of those things...but do youpull out an actual flask when you're running. or are you talking about like those little water belt flask things? Haha its a pretty funny image imagining you with a madmen style pocket flask on a run

ETA...I bet those honey sticks - straw looking honey filled things would work too. and a salt packet....

LOL - a little gel flask but a real flask could be way funnier!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Gu and other gels are not just straight suger like cheap candy. They provide sodium (50mg) and electorolytes that help with cramping. However, they are not needed on anything less than an hour. I am a cyclist and will ride sometimes for 4 hours at a time. At times when I have failed to use Gu I have had cramping in my hamstrings. I swear by the energy gels and believe they not only provide the energy that candy would provide but provide additional benefits to keep your muscles performing over long periods of time.

Good answer...I wonder what other electrolytes we're talking about, other than sodium. I'm going to look in to it. Some of the ones I've tried have caffeine too, which I appreciate greatly.