0.4 milligrams riboflavin
    9.0 milligrams niacin
    0.6 milligrams vitamin B6
    1.6 micrograms vitamin B12
    1.2 micrograms vitamin K
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Venison is great!! That is all I eat! and it is not high in cholesterol! Its a clean healthy meat!

look it up anywhere it is high in cholesterol....i eat a lot also but just stating facts.,

It has slightly less cholesterol than beef but beef also then has more than four times the amount of saturated fat.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    lol, how nutritious something is isn't a matter of opinion.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Crockpot. Delicious slow stewed. Guess I didn't answer the question though.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's very lean for red meat. If you don't like the game taste soak it overnight in milk and juniper berries if you have them.

Always inspect the liver of any wild game you kill. Should be spot free.

Thanks for the reminder on checking the liver :):):)
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    Venison is great!! That is all I eat! and it is not high in cholesterol! Its a clean healthy meat!

look it up anywhere it is high in cholesterol....i eat a lot also but just stating facts.,

It has slightly less cholesterol than beef but beef also then has more than four times the amount of saturated fat.

hence my first response
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Venison tamales are the bomb!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    its high in cholesterol but has very little fat

Its not nearly as high in cholesterol as beef. My dad's doctor will not allow him to eat beef, but he can have all of the venison he wants. It has no preservatives, no hormones, and very little fat. The only ground meat I eat, year round is venison. In chili, spaghetti sauce, or burgers, you can not even tell the difference.......
  • SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ah venison is delicious (and lean) Buffalo/Bison is another good option!
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    A 3-oz. serving of roast venison, for example, has 75 mg of cholesterol, while a similar cut of beef contains 76 mg of cholesterol. However, the venison slice contains less than 1 g of saturated fat, whereas the beef has 4.3 g -- more than four times the amount that deer meat provides.

Significance
    At 75 and 76 mg of cholesterol, a single serving of venison or beef roast represents about 38 percent of your daily cholesterol allotment.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/342472-the-cholesterol-of-venison-vs-the-cholesterol-of-beef/#ixzz1uacAXvrF
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Buffalo trumps all!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    For one 3-ounce serving of venison, you would have approximately:

130 calories
    26 grams protein
    2.0 grams of fat
    67 milligrams cholesterol
    0.9 grams saturated fat
    3.5 milligrams iron
    26 milligrams magnesium
    338 milligrams potassium
    3 milligrams zinc
    11 micrograms selenium
    0.24 milligrams thiamin
    0.4 milligrams riboflavin
    9.0 milligrams niacin
    0.6 milligrams vitamin B6
    1.6 micrograms vitamin B12
    1.2 micrograms vitamin K

Who eats just 3 oz of steak, you guys are silly!
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    A 3-oz. serving of roast venison, for example, has 75 mg of cholesterol, while a similar cut of beef contains 76 mg of cholesterol. However, the venison slice contains less than 1 g of saturated fat, whereas the beef has 4.3 g -- more than four times the amount that deer meat provides.

Significance
    At 75 and 76 mg of cholesterol, a single serving of venison or beef roast represents about 38 percent of your daily cholesterol allotment.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/342472-the-cholesterol-of-venison-vs-the-cholesterol-of-beef/#ixzz1uacAXvrF

If only dietary cholesterol had a direct correlation to blood serum cholesterol. Alas, it does not, thereby making your argument moot.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol Differences
    Based on preparation, venison contains fewer calories and grams of cholesterol and fat than comparable beef cuts. One example is a venison loin. A 3-ounce serving has about 15 fewer grams of cholesterol than a beef tenderloin--62 and 77, respectively.

Read more: The Cholesterol of Venison vs. the Cholesterol of Beef | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5844840_cholesterol-venison-vs_-cholesterol-beef.html#ixzz1uafDZInD
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    According to the USDA nutritional database, venison is 116 calories with 18mg of cholesterol per 3.75 oz. I think that is proof enough that it is good for you.:bigsmile:
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, how nutritious is venison (deer meat)? In my experience, I have found it quite a bit more lean than beef and very high in protein, all good things. Not particularly high in calories either. However, I am by no means a nutrition expert. What are your thoughts?

I love deer season! So much deer meat this past year! Brother and step-dad killed 3 deer a piece. Cheaper than beef for sure and so much better and fresher! I LOVE it. I make everything that I would make with beef or turkey. I use tenderloin a lot and ground deer. LOVE!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmm.......I'm getting hungry for a bambi burger! :laugh:

We have a butcher shop close to home that carries farmed venison & bison. Love 'em both. (Never was much of a hunter myself)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    love me some venison, got a freezer full. going to have to defrost some steak for this weekend now! yum!
    Way more lean than beef!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been eating one pound at least four nights a week for the last year. I really like venison.

It has definitely helped me take off the weight.

I can it in the fall in a pressure cooker. Then when i need a quick easy snack I just pop the top off a jar sit down with buffalo sauce dip and enjoy.....