quick.. how do i know which kind of protein powder to get

Options
soulynyc
soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
i am trying to buy some protein powder. I am on gnc website looking to see what they have available.. they have Whey, Casien egg and soy. i want to use it for baked goods and smoothies as well as for homemade protein bars. I do not work out at the moment due to an injury. i only have 1 opportunity to buy a product because i traveled 2 hours to buy it.. then i'm back on my way home. any information would be helpful thank you

Replies

• ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Blue bonnet is a good brand of protein powder. I always get the "Whey Protein Isolate" in plain and chocolate so that I can mix. This one is really good in smoothies in my opinion :smile:

Hope I helped :smile:
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was told by my physician to use Whey Protein, I've been using the GNC pro performance unflavored and I add it to chilli, soups, etc, but now that the weather is warming up, I've been adding it to cold smoothies. One of my pals recommended the Syntrax Nectar protein...that's on my list to buy next. Good Luck!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate is good... I LOVE Lean Body by Labrada... fabulous stuff!! Incredible nutrition profile as well

Egg is great, I buy egg whites byt the gallon jug from www.eggwhitesinternational.com and I can drink them straight, in milk, cook them, use them in baking, etc.

Casein is slow-digesting which is good but something like this is usually incorporated into whey blends anyhow.

Soy contributes to estrogen production so I stay away from it, even as a female. I have enough, thank you very much lol
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The protein I use is a blend of casein, egg and whey. Its called Trutein. Link here if want info on it. http://truscience.com/trutein.html
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot about a brand called "Unjury" that's supposed to be very good.
    Comes in various flavors.

I have not tried it yet...waiting until pay day :0)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want it for. Whey isolate is the best fast absorbing. Casein is a slow absorbing so usually recommended for night time so you don't wake up so hungry, etc.

Whey concentrate, and I can't remember the other one, are not quite as good as the isolate. By that I mean you get more calories for the amount of protein. The isolate gives you the most protein for the fewest calories.