bike riding not for me

Options
I thought i would try something new , well not new but i havent rode a bike in years . i have been having problems with my back da last 10 months and have had to have tons of injections but lately its been a little better than it has been so i thought i would take a little ride on my sons bike . The journey didnt work out so well , i got down the street and had to turn around by my neighbors house . i live in the hills so to speak and i just coulndt take riding uphill . my little bike ride was all of 3 minutes lol . i think i will stick to simplier excercises for now

Replies

• leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised at how much more enjoyable bike riding would be if you had a bike fitted to you! But biking is not for everyone, try some other things to find what you enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I can't get much further, don't feel bad. lol
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have to agree with leann that having a bike that's fitted for you makes a huge difference, but not everyone likes cycling. No one can convince me to love running (and I've done some serious running). The Tour de France is going on right now, daily, for the next 2&1/2 weeks on the VS Network. Watch it for a few minutes for some inspiration. It works for me.... :happy:

exercise.png
  • mtbRN
    mtbRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As someone who once hated bikes and used to fall off of bikes for no apparent reason I must reply :happy:

A proper fitting bike will make a ton of difference, it will help tremendously, investing in a bike of your very own will help you to enjoy the sport and give you motivation to use it.

Does the bike you use have gears? I always hesitated changing gears when I first started out. It wasn't until my hubby showed me how to properly change gears for different terrain that I could get up all the hills (I mean you don't have to change gears, eventually you'll get stronger and manage to power up those hills but it does make it more enjoyable)

Biking is now a passion for me, whether it is cross-country, road, or downhill riding it is so wonderful to be outside, being active and on my bike. It takes time, last year a 10km ride left me short of breath and hills, ha! I mostly walked up all of them, two weekends ago, I am proud to say I completed a 200 km bike ride to raise money for cancer research. It was hilly, windy and very challenging but I did it!!

Don't give up... just take it slow.
  • skywalker
    Options
    As someone who once hated bikes and used to fall off of bikes for no apparent reason I must reply :happy:

A proper fitting bike will make a ton of difference, it will help tremendously, investing in a bike of your very own will help you to enjoy the sport and give you motivation to use it.

Does the bike you use have gears? I always hesitated changing gears when I first started out. It wasn't until my hubby showed me how to properly change gears for different terrain that I could get up all the hills (I mean you don't have to change gears, eventually you'll get stronger and manage to power up those hills but it does make it more enjoyable)

Biking is now a passion for me, whether it is cross-country, road, or downhill riding it is so wonderful to be outside, being active and on my bike. It takes time, last year a 10km ride left me short of breath and hills, ha! I mostly walked up all of them, two weekends ago, I am proud to say I completed a 200 km bike ride to raise money for cancer research. It was hilly, windy and very challenging but I did it!!

Don't give up... just take it slow.

Awesome!!!! :drinker:

exercise.png
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with leann that having a bike that's fitted for you makes a huge difference, but not everyone likes cycling. No one can convince me to love running (and I've done some serious running). The Tour de France is going on right now, daily, for the next 2&1/2 weeks on the VS Network. Watch it for a few minutes for some inspiration. It works for me.... :happy:

exercise.png

I'm glad you brought up the Tour de France. It's been a very hectic few weeks, and I forgot all about it. I enjoy watching that, and will have to remember to put it on.

I also enjoy bike riding, around my neighborhood. I was going for a 6 mile ride a few times a week. The problem I had was that my butt hurt after riding, which made it uncomfortable to go riding again, until I realized that I was not sitting far enough back on the bike seat (I have to be careful because I have my 3 year old son in a seat on the back of my bike, and I don't want him kicking me:laugh: ) Now I have to wait to go bike riding for a few more weeks because my oldest son (9) fractured his ankle, and has at least 2 more weeks in a cast, and he had wanted to go with me:ohwell:

I would say just take it slowly. It took me a while to be able to do the 6 miles, since there are some inclined streets, and I wasn't used to changing gears. Good luck. :smile:
  • skywalker
    Options

I'm glad you brought up the Tour de France. It's been a very hectic few weeks, and I forgot all about it. I enjoy watching that, and will have to remember to put it on.

I also enjoy bike riding, around my neighborhood. I was going for a 6 mile ride a few times a week. The problem I had was that my butt hurt after riding, which made it uncomfortable to go riding again, until I realized that I was not sitting far enough back on the bike seat (I have to be careful because I have my 3 year old son in a seat on the back of my bike, and I don't want him kicking me:laugh: ) Now I have to wait to go bike riding for a few more weeks because my oldest son (9) fractured his ankle, and has at least 2 more weeks in a cast, and he had wanted to go with me:ohwell:

I would say just take it slowly. It took me a while to be able to do the 6 miles, since there are some inclined streets, and I wasn't used to changing gears. Good luck. :smile:

If anyone here is interested, some of us have started a cycling challenge/club and it's open to all levels. We pledge a weekly mileage goal. Whether you ride 1 mile or 1000 miles, all are welcome. Check out this thread for info.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/59202-mfp-spitfires-cycling-club-week-2

exercise.png