Up? Up??? What the? Grrr.

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
Sooo I was down 14 pounds about 2 weeks ago, I go to weigh today, and I'm up 3/4 of a pound (which is nothing, I know). I realllly was not expecting to be up. I've been a pretty good girl over the past couple of weeks. Sigh. Here's hoping it was just "one of those days", and I'll see a nice drop next time I go to weigh myself. Grrr @ food...and the scales...and hormones. :explode:

I always tell people not to stress when they're up a little, but now I'm stressing. I had my hopes up SO high before I went to weigh in. I mean 2 weeks and no drop? Devastating much?

Replies

• leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Sooo I was down 14 pounds about 2 weeks ago, I go to weigh today, and I'm up 3/4 of a pound (which is nothing, I know). I realllly was not expecting to be up. I've been a pretty good girl over the past couple of weeks. Sigh. Here's hoping it was just "one of those days", and I'll see a nice drop next time I go to weigh myself. Grrr @ food...and the scales...and hormones. :explode:

I always tell people not to stress when they're up a little, but now I'm stressing. I had my hopes up SO high before I went to weigh in. I mean 2 weeks and no drop? Devastating much?

shake it off and don't stress! You may want to change up your excercising and/or your foods to trick your body out of a plateau. And if it's your TOM that would explain it as well. You may try limiting your salt intake and drinking more water. Whatever you do don't stress, stress makes you hold onto those pounds! Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Aww, don't worry about it! Heck, I've had up to 5 weeks in a row without losing anything! :noway: Eventually though, the scale DOES move downward again though! Remember, slow and steady wins the race! :smile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh scales.....

My advice would be to step away from the scales during your initial losing. I find them VERY helpful in maintenance, because they will quickly signal to you when you need to reign yourself in, however during the losing phase, frequent weigh ins (and I consider weekly to be too frequent) you will see disappointment.

I see so many posts by people who want to quit because of a one pound increase, or because the scale is not moving. I did four months of serious losing on this site, and many weeks I would see no change, or up a pound, and then the next week, 3 pounds gone, then a few weeks with no loss, and then suddenly 5 lbs gone. Not everyone loses in a steady stream of 1-2 pounds a week. Your body needs time to adjust.

Stick with it, and seriuosly, can you weigh once a month? After a day of low salt, no carbonated beverages, and low carbs? Then you will be happy with the number! :wink:

You'll do great - just don't let the scales rule you. If you are doing the math here on MFP you already know if you are going in the right or wrong direction. Don't let the scales mess with you!
    :flowerforyou:

And your face or gorgeous btw!!!
  • bdnicholson80
    Options
    Ms BrendaLee, sometimes it is discouraging, I know...but look at the bright side, you didn't even gain a pound in two weeks! Thats huge! Just keep doing what you're doing, don't give up. Maybe add a few more minutes to your workout? Hang in there...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You all actually made me smile. :) It's amazing what a little encouragement can do.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Brenda, your doing great.
    Remember as everyone else said, don't let scales mess with you.

I've done the same thing where I thought I had a good week and gained 1lb. Next week I lost 3.
    Maybe not as fast as we all want it to disappear, but it is in the right direction.
    Again this week I gained a lb, so I'm hoping my body will catch up next week.

You know you've been doing good, then get out you tape measure. Inches melted off will give you that satisfaction that it is working.

Also remember.
    Drinking Water and weight.
    1L = 1000ml
    Weight of 1ml of water (1cc) = 1gm
    1000gm = 1kg = weight of 1L of water. (4cups)
    1kg = 2.2 lbs

Any given day we are drinking 5lbs of water and eating xx lbs of food.

Good luck, keep it up.