Silly 5k question

Options
Forgive my ignorance... but can you listen to your ipod while running in a 5k? Not sure how exactly it works!! :blushing:

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    It depends on the race. I've run two 5K's this year and both have allowed headphones. Check the race website if there is one. If they don't allow headphones, it should say on there.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    most don't allow it for safety reasons, as long as you are not looking to place top 3 in your age group then you could wear it but you would be dq from awards.
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options
    Normally it is not allowed. National organizations that sanction races like the RRCA (road runners club of america) or the USATF (for triathalons) not only disqualify runners with headphones, but will actually not allow them to finish the race.

Even if you don't get thrown out, a DQ will not only take you out of awards but your time won't be posted on the internet (or in any newspapers or newsletters that cover the race.) That is a bummer because you won't have "proof" of your acomplishment or a record or your time. Why would you pay to be in the race and then take a DQ? You can do a run with headphones anytime and not pay the 20 bucks....

They do that because it is a safety hazard to run with headphones. It is nice to get into the "zone" with your music when jogging... but it also leads to you getting hit by a car sometimes. Stroller, dogs, etc are also not allowed.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    most don't allow it for safety reasons, as long as you are not looking to place top 3 in your age group then you could wear it but you would be dq from awards.

I'm just looking to finish!! Thanks :flowerforyou: