New rules of lifting for women

Options
2»

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I've got the book, but don't have all the equipment (only got barbell/weights and dumbells), and I'm not ready to walk into a weight room in the gym, especially with the book!

Does angone know if stronglifts needs gym equipment, or are there any other programmes that just use weights?

stronglifts is barbells only.

Workout A:

squats 5x5
    barbell row (pendlay) 5x5
    benchpress 5x5

Workout B:

squats 5x5
    shoulder (overhead) press 5x5
    deadlifts 1x5

The goal with stronglifts is to increase by 5# each time (except deadlifts 10#). Because you are lifting 5 sets of 5 reps, you can increase your weight faster than NROL4W (it has you doing first 2 and then 3 sets of 12, 10 and 8 reps). NROL therefore can hold you back a bit on strength gain progression once you get accustomed to lifting and want to move up in weights.

The one thing that NEITHER of these programs addresses is that until you can deadlift and row 95#, if your gym does not have bumper plates, the barbell is going to be too low to the ground and cause potential injury unless you stack some plates on either side. I found it best to stack 3 25# plates on each side and cover with towels to prevent the bar from rolling until you can get to the point where you can lift the barbell loaded with 2 25# plates on it (95# total). I started both those lifts at 65#--it is very difficult to go lighter with anything resembling proper form.

Also NROL4W does not point out how important it is NOT to use a Smith Machine (fixed or 3D) -- don't use it! You can go to the stronglifts website, or even search on MFP for why not to use it, so I won't waste space here.

Even if you're not going to go with stronglifts, I highly recommend using the website for information on proper lift techniques -- there is a great video on how to properly squat (again NROL4W does not even mention the need to go parallel or below). Also there is great information on how to use the low bar position for squats (don't get a sore neck, and don't use the sissy pad), grip improvement, why NOT to use gloves, etc.

Finally, Mark Rippletoe of Starting Strength also has some great videos, and in particular, this one for proper deadlift form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

Listen carefully -- he discusses how the bar needs to be at the proper height, and he mentions that Crossfit has bumper plates in order to get it there. Make sure if you don't have those bumper plate you raise it up, and be aware that pulling from the rack is a rack pull, not a deadlift.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I'm intrigued, but, can I do it alone? I don't have a gym buddy. Do you need a spotter and someone who knows what they're doing to be successful? I have zero experience lifting :-\

If your gym has a power rack and you learn to use it with the safety bars, then yes you can do it without a buddy. (Power Rack NOT Smith Machine).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued, but, can I do it alone? I don't have a gym buddy. Do you need a spotter and someone who knows what they're doing to be successful? I have zero experience lifting :-\
    if you belong to a gym, get a session with a trainer to show you how to do the movements. not just the ones in stage 1 but also the more explosive moves you'll be doing in later stages.

i dont have a gym buddy either but i do OK without a spotter. you can always attach the side rails on the power rack to help during the squats and bent barbell rows. if not, you can also ask someone who looks friendly to spot you, just make sure to ask when they are between sets. most people are happy to help. the main point of strength training is continually pushing yourself out of your comfort zone weight wise, and people can be just as lazy with NROL as they can with strong lifts as they can with any strength training program

@sleepytexan : i kind of disagree about NROL holding you back on strength progression. it's not written anywhere that you have to stay at the same weight. just like with any lifting program, people need to be honest and continually push themselves. for instance i continually increased my weights with every set i did NROL
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have it, just finished Stage 2 and LOVE it!

I have lifted for years but not nearly heavy enough and not enough compound moves. I think it is a fantastic program to use and highly recommend it!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have the book and spreadsheets and plan on doing it from home.so, it's nice to see others are doing it from home as well.

I saw in the NROL4W group, you can find videos on YouTube that show you proper form. That could probably be very helpful for people doing it at home.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

@sleepytexan : i kind of disagree about NROL holding you back on strength progression. it's not written anywhere that you have to stay at the same weight. just like with any lifting program, people need to be honest and continually push themselves. for instance i continually increased my weights with every set i did NROL

No, of course you choose your weight, however, no one can increase as much when they are trying to do sets of 12, 10, or 8, as they can when they are doing 5 sets of 5. And on the deadlifts, if you are trying to do 3 sets of 8, there is no way you can increase 10# each time as you can with 1x5.

Take a look a stronglifts and read the reasoning behind the program -- people get to a point where they can't increase and Mehdi gives an example of a guy stuck at (I forget, but let's say) 200# deadlifts for a year bc he's just trying to push 3 sets of 8, 10, or 12 reps and he can't increase weight without failure.

It's a powerlifting thought process instead of bodybuilding -- going for strength gains over muscle pumping. Powerlifters don't do lots and lots of reps, it defeats their purpose -- of getting strong. Body builders have a different purpose -- big, but not necessarily as strong.

Now I am not saying any one of us wants to be powerlifter or a bodybuilder, I am just saying that compound lifts vs. split routines work the same muscles, but all at the same time, therefore you are in and out of the gym faster. Plus, it's really easy to remember what you're doing if you only have 3 exercises for each workout, and you don't have to carry around a book (I figure Stage 2 in NROL must take over an hour -- even longer with a partner; what are there, like 13 exercises in split routines?). Finally if you like increasing weight, you can do it more quickly on 5x5 than you can on 3x8, 10 or 12.

blessings.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

No, of course you choose your weight, however, no one can increase as much when they are trying to do sets of 12, 10, or 8, as they can when they are doing 5 sets of 5. And on the deadlifts, if you are trying to do 3 sets of 8, there is no way you can increase 10# each time as you can with 1x5.

Take a look a stronglifts and read the reasoning behind the program -- people get to a point where they can't increase and Mehdi gives an example of a guy stuck at (I forget, but let's say) 200# deadlifts for a year bc he's just trying to push 3 sets of 8, 10, or 12 reps and he can't increase weight without failure.

It's a powerlifting thought process instead of bodybuilding -- going for strength gains over muscle pumping. Powerlifters don't do lots and lots of reps, it defeats their purpose -- of getting strong. Body builders have a different purpose -- big, but not necessarily as strong.

Now I am not saying any one of us wants to be powerlifter or a bodybuilder, I am just saying that compound lifts vs. split routines work the same muscles, but all at the same time, therefore you are in and out of the gym faster. Plus, it's really easy to remember what you're doing if you only have 3 exercises for each workout, and you don't have to carry around a book (I figure Stage 2 in NROL must take over an hour -- even longer with a partner; what are there, like 13 exercises in split routines?). Finally if you like increasing weight, you can do it more quickly on 5x5 than you can on 3x8, 10 or 12.

blessings.

but NROL, also points out that if you choose a high enough weight that you can't complete all the reps in that set then that's fine. do the reps you can do and dont worry about the rest of the reps. for instance if you're at a weight where you can only do 4 reps, then do the 4. next time do more reps until you're doing them all.

i did loads of strength training in the past (former competitive powerlifter and played a sport where i needed to train primarily to increase my bulk and explosive strength) and although this is a bit different than what i had been taught, it's still not the same as saying only choose a weight where you can do ALL reps.

for the record, how i was taught (and what i've been doing with NROL) is that if i reach a weight where I can only do half the reps at that weight, i dont consider that the end of my set, i just drop it back down to the previous weight. the next time i do a few more reps at the higher weight until i'm doing all reps at that weight. once i can do all reps at that weight, then i increase the weight..

these are small little cheats that strength trainer and powerlifters do and have been doing for years. i just wanted to make it clear that mehdi isnt the only one telling people to do this. :smile:
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage 2 and love it!
  • sleepytexan
    Options

but NROL, also points out that if you choose a high enough weight that you can't complete all the reps in that set then that's fine. do the reps you can do and dont worry about the rest of the reps. for instance if you're at a weight where you can only do 4 reps, then do the 4. next time do more reps until you're doing them all.

i did loads of strength training in the past (former competitive powerlifter and played a sport where i needed to train primarily to increase my bulk and explosive strength) and although this is a bit different than what i had been taught, it's still not the same as saying only choose a weight where you can do ALL reps.

for the record, how i was taught (and what i've been doing with NROL) is that if i reach a weight where I can only do half the reps at that weight, i dont consider that the end of my set, i just drop it back down to the previous weight. the next time i do a few more reps at the higher weight until i'm doing all reps at that weight. once i can do all reps at that weight, then i increase the weight..

these are small little cheats that strength trainer and powerlifters do and have been doing for years. i just wanted to make it clear that mehdi isnt the only one telling people to do this. :smile:

You're right, yes, and some say Mehdi stole his entire schtick from Wendler. I'm just pointing out that NROL is still shooting for higher reps, whereas the entire mindset of 5x5 is different--it's the goal, not the backup plan. Regardless, NROL just has a dang lot of different split routines; that takes a lot of time.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I did it last year and loved it. It seemed easy at first, but I wasn't pushing myself hard enough. Once I did, I saw great results and gains and it jump started my love for lifting :-)
  • cristenjo
    cristenjo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    B
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

You're right, yes, and some say Mehdi stole his entire schtick from Wendler. I'm just pointing out that NROL is still shooting for higher reps, whereas the entire mindset of 5x5 is different--it's the goal, not the backup plan. Regardless, NROL just has a dang lot of different split routines; that takes a lot of time.
    yep.. the biggest drawback is that everything after stage 1 takes so much time. stage 1 took me anywhere from 25-40 minutes as the weeks went on.. stage 2 about 45- 60 minutes, stage 3 is about the same. i started going to the gym twice a day because i like being able to do 30 minutes of cardio on days and spend some time in the whirlpool the days i lift and i just dont have the mental strength or patience to spend 2 hours a day in the gym at one time.

besides that i generally like 90% of the exercises, but some of the moves i absolutely loathe (ie reverse lunge with forward reach, 1 pt DB row, 1 legged romanian deadlift). i'd rather work on my balance during yoga and use my lifting time for strength gains.

ok hopefully i havent dissuaded anyone from trying it out with that :laugh:
  • Lambert310715
    Lambert310715 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have just got this book...

I really need help on the programme? i think i am being really dim and probably not looked at it long enough but i don't get the work out programme for stage 1 at all....

Can anyone guide me..

Thanks..
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    send you a mail ;)
  • Lambert310715
    Lambert310715 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sleepytexan
    Options

yep.. the biggest drawback is that everything after stage 1 takes so much time. stage 1 took me anywhere from 25-40 minutes as the weeks went on.. stage 2 about 45- 60 minutes, stage 3 is about the same. i started going to the gym twice a day because i like being able to do 30 minutes of cardio on days and spend some time in the whirlpool the days i lift and i just dont have the mental strength or patience to spend 2 hours a day in the gym at one time.

besides that i generally like 90% of the exercises, but some of the moves i absolutely loathe (ie reverse lunge with forward reach, 1 pt DB row, 1 legged romanian deadlift). i'd rather work on my balance during yoga and use my lifting time for strength gains.

ok hopefully i havent dissuaded anyone from trying it out with that :laugh:

Yes, since I workout with a partner, and our gym only has 1 power rack (it gets busy and sometimes you have to wait to get back over to the rack after you left to go use the pulley or do step-ups or whatever), by the end of Stage 1 we were in there well over an hour. Once you include the warm-up (we do 10 min on a spin bike and a few other exercises) and a 10-15 min stretch at the end), we were between 1:45 - 2:00.

We are now amazed how fast we are in and out after our 2nd "official" SL workout (50 minutes including warmup/stretch), but DANG those pendlay rows! holy smokes! You grab the rack and complete everything there, BOOM! No walking to another part of the gym and coming back to find it occupied.

Anyway, as I said originally I do greatly appreciate NROL4W for getting me started, and I definitely learned a lot from it. Obviously, it works and the results you can see in people's photos on here are impressive.

Even prior to completing Stage 1 I had my own NSV at Target (in the dressing room trying on shirts--they have full length angled mirrors so you can see your back), and DANG! I HAVE MUSCLES!!!! :laugh: