Looking for Support From Ppl Who have been Skinny Before

Options
Hello I am looking for support and friends from people who spent a majority of there life skinny and recently gained weight within the last 5 years.

I am just looking for people who have experienced life on Both sides.

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well, I wasn't "skinny" but I used to be 120-125 lbs and in really good shape (from being in lots of sports and being an avid swimmer)...of course at the time I thought I was huge because I had a lot of body/self-esteem/insecurity issues in high school and early college...but now I'm 28 years old, 5'4.5", started at 195, and have lost 21 on MFP so far. 70 lbs to lose and about 50 of them left to go.

Not sure if that fits what you're hoping for but add me if you want to. :)
  • AyceeB
    AyceeB Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes that is what I am looking for :) I am the same height as you and was the same weight lol. I am looking for support because a lot of people don't understand what I am going through because my life has completely changed since the weight gain. I wasn't a fat kid or teen i didn't gain all this weight until I was about 26. So I am just looking for support from people similar to me.
  • amy12321
    amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just gained 40 pounds in the last 3 years and I haven't been able to get it off. I was SO athletic and it's made my running, swimming, skating, and lacrosse playing much more difficult.
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    Wen I was younger, i was around 125. After my kids I gained all my weight, I am 28 and 5'3" started out at 196 lost 12 lbs so far!
  • AyceeB
    AyceeB Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the post. I really need support
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 1 ..i was at one point 120 lbs.... 5 years ago i started putting on weight and not watching what i ate...and got to 170 lbs...so im working my way back to a decent number for my height ... i KNOW you can do this!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I weighed 102lbs when I got married - fast-forward to 2005 and I was about 130 after 3 kids. Then I started putting on weight and by last Dec. I was up to 179lbs. I decided on Christmas Eve that I wasn't going to go into the 180's.. EVER. I started walking that night and as of today I've walked over 400 miles and I'm walking 1,000 total this year for St. Judes. I'm now down to 147 so that's a bit over 30lbs so far. My goal is 120-125 for a healthy weight range. I am 5ft 3".
  • ellesince1993
    Options
    yiiip. that sounds like me.
    i used to be 100pounds - naturally.
    and then i started binging on food and stoped exercising when i started work...
    feel free to add so we can help each other :)
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I was chubby through my teens, then thin for the next 2 decades. Started gaining after I hit 40, more after 45. I'm back to being thin after hitting goal last May, in maintenance now. You can friend me if you want.............
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was thin all my life until about sophomore year of college. I am 5'6" and was around 135-140 lbs. when I graduated HS. The end of my freshman year, I was 145. Then over the summer and beginning my sophomore year, I packed on over 20 lbs. or so. I tried losing weight but didn't know what I was doing since I'd never had a weight problem before, so nothing really happened nor did I stick with anything. In 2010, I hit my highest weight of 200. Now it is starting to come off. I want to get down to about 150. Yes, I have seen both sides, sister. I want to hop the fence back over to the thin side again!!
  • Christypowell89
    Christypowell89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    (5'6 145lbs) Last time I was skinny was when I was 18(130lbs) and had a 2 yr old. I only lost the weight then because I was working a very physically demanding job. After losing that job I had became pregnant and had a miscarriage, fell into a deep depression which only made it harder on my body. I reached 165 lbs then became pregnant again which of course only added more weight. I don't know what I weighed after I had my 2nd son but I know I wasn't where I wanted to be physically. I lost 30 lbs over a span of 2 yrs and am currently 145lbs with alot more muscle since losing the 30lbs. Motivation is the key to getting where you want to be, Nobody can want it more than you, and no one can achieve it for you. Work your *kitten* off because it will only get easier. I wish you the best.
  • lins_q
    lins_q Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to be around 120 up and down a little but not far off up until a year ago. Between health problems and bad habits I'm at 140 now and not liking it. I used to love working out and got such a buzz but have found it so hard to get back into it.
    So today is day 1 for me, at least if I track I can't lie about the food I'm eating. Need this to work I'm so unhappy and not feeling me!
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I gained mine from having children
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I have only gained weight in the last 3-4 years, over 50 pounds! Five years ago I was 115 and 5'4" and mostly very happy with my body and I have been skinny most of my adult life. When I was a kid I was kind of chubby though lol I've been losing though.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I was skinny until I got pregnant with my son in 1998. I was 120 pounds. I gained weight with both my kids. I've lost 35 (30 on here and 5 on my own).
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    5'4" and 125 for most of my life. Now at 214 (have lost 10 lbs since my last Dr. visit and 4 pounds since on MFP. It's been more like 10 years since I put on the weight because of undiagnosed hypothyroid but that became an excuse after my thyroid levels were normal. Add me if you'd like!
  • jeseraimince
    Options
    I was 105lbs, naturally through healthy eating and exercise. Over the past 2-3 years i gained 40lbs so now i am trying to lose a lot of it. Not all of it, because i've got a different shape now, but as much as i feel i should.
    Good luck with your weightloss!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good idea for a support thread! And good luck on your journey. I'd love to have more friends who are in a similar situation to my own - I weighed between 130 and 140 until 2006 (which, good lord, has been SIX years ago now, but still), and I gained a few pounds a year until I topped out at 180 or so last year. I've lost, then gained, then lost some more, and I don't have a scale at home to check my weight, but I think I'm probably down to about 175 right now. I've learned to like jogging (and I'm planning to run my first race, a 10k, in August), I do strength training at home, and I want to become comfortable riding my bike. And I LOVE to cook, especially unusual cuts of meat or delicious vegetables!

Hope you've found some support here, and I'd love to hear from you!

- Becky
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    I used to be skinny too - up until about a year ago. I gained 50lbs in under a year, I finally got tired of looking at myself in t he mirror and joined MFP. My weight gain was due to medication and just a general lack of caring about myself. Well now I care - MFP has been good for me, I log everything and I have lost 6 lbs in 5 weeks. Good luck on your journey!
  • angemarie23
    angemarie23 Posts: 55
    Options
    I was about 125 lbs in high school/college. After going through 3 pregnancies I've been about 195 for the last few years. I'm now at 172.5 working my way down to about 135-150. I'd love to join your support team here on MFP. :-)

Angie