MFP Exercise Log

Options
kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
How do I know if the exercise log is accurately calculating the calories burned? Today my boyfriend and I went cross-country hiking in the woods, and got lost haha, so it ended up being 2.5 hours of hiking. But, when I entered it, it said I burned 799 cal, which seems a little high. Am I underestimating myself? Or could the calculator be off?:ohwell: just a little confused. Thanks!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Actually that seems about right to me. The only real way to know would be if you were wearing a heart rate moniter. Since you weren't just be careful about how much you eat, if it were me I would just eat half of the exercise calories and see how hungry I was of course. :happy: Great job on such a long hike!

~Leash :heart:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am a physically fit person. When I started using my HRM I found out that MFP was way overestimating my calories burned from exercise. There are other websites out there that can better estimate, like webmd, where you can enter in your current weight.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    wow! I tried the webmd calculator. They didn't have a hiking option so I tried walking, 30 min/mile and I only burned 410 calories :noway: . Not sure if this is the speed i was going, and it was cross-country so there was lots of rocky hills and such, but still quite a difference, I think the real number is probably somewhere in the middle, so I'm just not going to eat those calories. But this has made me seriously consider investing in a HRM
  • sibetsimo
    sibetsimo Posts: 39
    Options
    Hmmm... where on webmd is this calorie counter? I've only been able to find the exercise one (like on here) and it doesn't even have "elliptical" (then again, maybe I can't spell?)... :tongue:
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Well done on the hike! I've recently started using a HRM and was horrified to discover that I burned half the calories swimmming that it calculated on here. Due to the various factors involved in trying to calculate these things, a HRM is always going to be your best bet.

Erika