Hello....and embarrassing "run" today!

Options
I've drifted from WW to Weight Loss Resources to MFP and all the way back round again.....except now I'm 20 lbs heavier than my original "heaviest" weight in 2004. Jeez. :(

So I have some work to do.....first goal is to get down to 161lbs, which is about the lightest I got to on WW years ago when I plateaued.

In the meantime, I have started getting back to running by starting the C25k program. Today was day 2 of week 1, and whilst the running parts were fine (as fine as they can be when your joints are screaming that they cannot haul 209 lbs up hill), I picked a bad time of day and found myself faced with what felt like a billion teenagers all around my route - all young, lithe, fit and gorgeous, enjoying the first bit of sunshine we've had in weeks here in the UK. Each time my C25k app told me to start running after the walk breaks, it would be up hill and straight towards a group of slim beautiful people. I confess I felt far too self conscious to jog towards them puce-faced, with everything wobbling like a blancmange, and blowing like a whale. So it almost ruined my run. :(

I still completed it but the intervals got a bit messed up. I know I shouldn't care what anyone thinks - I've got my earphones in so I wouldn't hear any shouts of "run, fatty" anyway - and at least I'm trying to get my weight down.

I guess I'm still a vain, fairly slim 18 year old inside this nearly-40 yr old fat body!!

Replies

• beena1979
    beena1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Teenagers are the worst to run by! Don't worry about anyone else. You are doing a good thing for you. Anyway, I was on WW too and lost a total of 90 lbs. I've since gained 30 back and I couldn't focus on WW anymore. I think I was just fed up with it. I'm a runner and run all the way up to full marathons (twice). So it's hard to lose weight but have to eat appropriate amount of food to have sufficient nutrition for that type of running.

Anyway, good luck. I just started this last week. I've done well most days, but messed up twice. Every day is a new day!
  • wangkl
    wangkl Posts: 1
    Options
    As someone who used to be a fit, cross-country runner in high school, I did see my fair share of overweight people running and jogging on the same trails I used to train. If it makes you feel any better, my first thought was always, "good for them!" and a sense of pride for a stranger. Same thing for overweight people at the gym. I always was far more disgusted by the thin women who needed makeup and designer workout clothes to hop on a treadmill.

Use them for motivation. Instead of being ashamed, think of them as your cheerleaders instead. :) It's much harder to work out in public when you're overweight than if you're already at your goal shape!
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just remember --

Those beautiful teenagers today are tomorrow's overweight adults. :smile:

Steve
  • Oilfanchick
    Oilfanchick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself!!!! I was that girl too, still am. I started at your weight, hoped on the scale today, 165! And running was my favorite, and still is. Be proud of who you are. And think in 40 years, those teenagers may be you! Feel free to add me! We can support each other!
  • augstrac
    augstrac Posts: 14
    Options
    This describes my thoughts exactly i need to read the replies to get myself on the way. I live in town so i probably will do night jogs with my dog so the dark can veil me. lol
  • nell1972
    nell1972 Posts: 19
    Options
    Oooh all these runners! I'm really not built for running (being very short and round, like a spacehopper wearing running shoes), but I actually really enjoy it. I'd rather run than go cycling, any day.

I cannot claim to have got to full marathon standard, but I have got up to 5k (continuous running rather than intervals) twice. It only takes one terrible run - painful and really not enjoyable - to set me back, and the body lose fitness so quickly!

How do you all keep your motivation after a bad run?

Thanks for the supportive responses, wow you guys are fast!
  • iggymomma
    iggymomma Posts: 6
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, my first thought was always, "good for them!" and a sense of pride for a stranger.

Ditto for me! Chances are they are thinking the same thing -- smile and be proud of yourself! :drinker:
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad :) I twisted my ankle and stumbled and fell right in front of a group of people when I was out running yesterday :P haha so at least you didn't do that! :flowerforyou:
  • barblcurry
    barblcurry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to be a fit, cross-country runner in high school, I did see my fair share of overweight people running and jogging on the same trails I used to train. If it makes you feel any better, my first thought was always, "good for them!" and a sense of pride for a stranger. Same thing for overweight people at the gym. I always was far more disgusted by the thin women who needed makeup and designer workout clothes to hop on a treadmill.

Use them for motivation. Instead of being ashamed, think of them as your cheerleaders instead. :) It's much harder to work out in public when you're overweight than if you're already at your goal shape!

I completely agree!!!
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Did you know any of them? You have lost just short of 50 pds. That is so awesome and you should be so proud of yourself. Don't let a bunch of teenagers stop you from doing anything!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    You mustn't feel bad at all!!!

keep going!! I did day 1 of week 7 after giving up on c25k week 1 day 2 last year. i even puked up, and calmly carried on going after 23 minutes

don't ever be embarrassed about making yourself better, and you can do this!!

good luck!!! and I too live in england and rejoicing that we have had no rain today !!
  • MikMont
    MikMont Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No worries! I am pretty sure that when I run I look like I could fall out at any moment. Im happy to run near crowds because at least I know that if I do fall out/die right then, someone can call for help :laugh:
  • sdmomof2
    sdmomof2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started here this week. I did restart C25K this week also. Last Fall I completed the training and in Nov. ran my first ever 5K. Now, I am using the word 'ran' very liberally.... someone on C25K once used the term 'wog' and I think I am closer to that walk/jog. Anyway, I just completed the first week so I am pretty happy. I don't have the same problem with running past thin young people...I live on a farm and so the only observers are usually the cows. However, since I started trying 'running' (for the first time in my life) I realize that it is a very powerful and rewarding feeling to accomplish this goal. I also along the way encrouaged others so that makes me feel good. My dad has health problems, he is 70, and so when I don't think I can go do it again I think of him and all the other people who REALLY can't run. I am 43. Good luck to everyone on their journey!
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    4th day back to fitness and I'm running/jogging/walking the local park track and here come these two 18-20 year old girls and I think, they are just here to look pretty. Then they started jogging and I noticed they were not really dressed appropriately for that, one's chest was bouncing so hard it is a wonder she didn't fall over!! HaHa. The best part, 30 minutes later I was still jogging, but they were not!!

mother of 2 with bursitus
    203 lbs

GO ME!
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options

GREAT REPLY!!!:flowerforyou:
  • nell1972
    nell1972 Posts: 19
    Options
    All these responses, thanks so much.....I often write posts on forums just to get thoughts out of my head, don't always expect the kind and considered replies I have received here on MFP, so thank you.

I must say that MY first thought when seeing someone rather overweight out exercising, is to feel a surge of pride for them. :) You're all right, today's thin teens are tomorrows overweight population!

Stacymama that's so kind of you to say, but I actually have 49 lbs TO LOSE.....so I will use your lovely comment as inspiration!
  • shollet
    shollet Posts: 12
    Options
    run in sunglasses - you never feel quite so "exposed" when your eyes are hidden.
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Don't worry what anyone else thinks - you are doing this for you. I am not really a runner - but getting there. I ran my first 10k on Monday - it wasn't pretty or fast, but I did it. To be honest I should probably have started on a 5k but the 10k was the first to come up in my area. Anyway I did it and I'm delighted and now I am going to concentrate on really becoming a runner. Good luck and keep going.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate running by teenage guys, they seem to think either staring at my boobs or hurling insults at me is a good idea. The other day one yelled out his car for me to go on a diet!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GouVYvB50fY/To9Lj7U18iI/AAAAAAAAAGc/NOledLvd27E/s1600/runninggirls.jpg

Great post by the OP by the way ... Some of those kids will be mean to save face (sad I know) but I would bet most appreciate that you are doing something to better your health ... at least I would hope so .. keep firing away!