HELP

Options
Loraah
Loraah Posts: 111 Member
I am confused!

My TDEE = 2411
My BMR = 2009

But MFP thinks I should be eating 1450

I've upped my calories to 1700 anyway just because I didn't feel like I was eating enough

I'm 119 kg so have a lot to lose. I don't care if it takes a while to lose as my main goal right now is fitness.

Am I eating too little or too much at 1700

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am confused!
    My TDEE = 2411
    My BMR = 2009

That's because you told it you wanted to lose 2 lbs/week. A lower goal will give you more calories.
    I've upped my calories to 1700 anyway just because I didn't feel like I was eating enough

if you log your exercise MFP increase your calories accordingly.

Give it 4 weeks to see if you're gaining or losing.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what yarwell said.

If it helps, I'm around 155lbs (70kgs?) and MFP has allocated me about 1400 cals, losing 1lb per week (from what I recall) and I'm 5'9". 1700 for someone of 119kgs doesn't sound unreasonable.

Good luck :-))
  • Loraah
    Options
    Really helpful guys thanks

And extra helpful as I'm 5'9" as well so I think I'll give 1700 a go for a while and if I gain, ill drop my calories back down again
  • Loraah
    Options
    I've read countless times on here that I shouldn't eat below my BMR but MFP obviously thinks I should

I definitely want to be losing 2 pounds a week, I've got a long way to go
    I am confused!
    My TDEE = 2411
    My BMR = 2009

That's because you told it you wanted to lose 2 lbs/week. A lower goal will give you more calories.

if you log your exercise MFP increase your calories accordingly.

Give it 4 weeks to see if you're gaining or losing.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism and daily activities.. Give it a try for a couple of weeks and see the results!
  • duke101
    duke101 Posts: 1
    Options
    Your BMR figure of 2009 should reflect the number of calories you need to eat to maintain your current body weight if you are doing no fiscal activities during the day.
    If you burn 500 calories a day through exercise you will need to take in 2509 calories a day to maintain current weight.
    To lose 1 pound a week you will need to reduce your total number of calories for the week by 3500 (or 500 a day).

Try using this calculation for your BMR and see how that compares to MFP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation

Hope this helps.
  • Loraah
    Options
    This is so useful! I can't believe how easy this all is. I was just confused because I read so much stuff on here about eating at least my BMR

using this equation MFP have got it right and I don't need to worry about this stuff again
    Thank you!
    Your BMR figure of 2009 should reflect the number of calories you need to eat to maintain your current body weight if you are doing no fiscal activities during the day.
    If you burn 500 calories a day through exercise you will need to take in 2509 calories a day to maintain current weight.
    To lose 1 pound a week you will need to reduce your total number of calories for the week by 3500 (or 500 a day).

Try using this calculation for your BMR and see how that compares to MFP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation

Hope this helps.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've read countless times on here that I shouldn't eat below my BMR

yeah, there is a chorus line singing that. It doesn't work well if you are sedentary, don't do much exercise and want to lose weight at a reasonable but safe rate.