Serving jobs stink in my area have crazy demands.

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Btw, word of advice, never be rude to your server before you get your food or drinks. Alot of them are over qualified and unhappy because of the job market so if you are prissy or rude, they might spit in your food or worse. Also, if you tip crap or stiff them, dont go back, they might mess with you. They remember you and tell other servers.
    This kind of thing is what makes me lose all respect for what you're saying. I've been a server too and I would never think of tampering with a customer's food. That's immature, and illegal.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Glad I don't live in Texas, we have minimum wage in Cali and it's 8.00 an hr, unless you have a commission job but our waitress jobs here usually aren't commission.
    Glad I don't live in Cali, with their outrageous cost of living. :bigsmile:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Its not illegal to pay someone under minimum wage? i thought thats why they called it minimum wage?
    Most states allow it when it's a tipped position. hence, the importance of the tip.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to the fact that people don't think they have to tip.

I appreciate and have no problems tipping a good server. It's when they come to my table with a bad attitude, get my order wrong, or just don't bother checking to see if I need anything else that perturbs me and makes me not want to leave a tip.

As a patron, I don't agree with tip pooling/sharing. The cook & "bus boys" get paid an hourly rate much higher than the server. The server has to put up with the bad attitudes (or good) of the customer's, do the majority of the work, and therefore deserve the tip 100%. This is just my opinion of course.

As other posters have stated; however, it IS a job and if she's not happy with the requirements needed to have said job, it's time to find another line of work.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Blah Blah blah is all I read.

She has a job. You do what you need to in order to keep said job. Knowing what she has to go through has opened both of your eyes to what makes a great server. Tip Well when you get one.

You see, you dont know what you are talking about. They say only very few pass so she might not have a job after all. My point is, its just serving food. Its lame to require 6 months of learning knowledge in 4-6 days.

So, basically, she has to learn her job and learn it well in order to keep it. Sounds reasonable.

And, no, it's not just serving food. You have to have the type of personality to deal with the general public and be motivated to do a good job, regardless of the type of job. I get so tired of people in the service industry who refuse to do their job and then want to whine about how badly they're treated. I'm sorry, but if a service job isn't to your liking, then move on and let someone else do it. That's not to say you're going to have a bad day once in a while, but that goes with any job.

As a previous poster stated, at least she has a job. Now it's her responsibility to keep it or look elsewhere.

Ok, you too are missing the point. I agree, everyone should learn their job but its not realistic to learn so much info within 4 days. Its insulting to think or say you can learn everything a cook and bartender knows within 4 days. Also, the harrasment trying to scare them off is not cool either.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Ok, you too are missing the point. I agree, everyone should learn their job but its not realistic to learn so much info within 4 days. Its insulting to think or say you can learn everything a cook and bartender knows within 4 days. Also, the harrasment trying to scare them off is not cool either.

If it wasn't realistic then they would have zero employees. Assuming this restaurant operates and has people working as servers then it IS realistic, just not for your friend. And an intense round of "customers from hell" simulation? Sounds like good training. If someone can't take a person being rude to them in a fake, simulated way, then they aren't going to last long in the service industry.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to the fact that people don't think they have to tip.

I appreciate and have no problems tipping a good server. It's when they come to my table with a bad attitude, get my order wrong, or just don't bother checking to see if I need anything else that perturbs me and makes me not want to leave a tip.

As a patron, I don't agree with tip pooling/sharing. The cook & "bus boys" get paid an hourly rate much higher than the server. The server has to put up with the bad attitudes (or good) of the customer's, do the majority of the work, and therefore deserve the tip 100%. This is just my opinion of course.

As other posters have stated; however, it IS a job and if she's not happy with the requirements needed to have said job, it's time to find another line of work.

I completely understand not tipping or lowly tipping a bad server. I'm just saying that a lot of people don't tip whether the service is good or bad.

Most chain restaurants have to tip out bussers and bartenders.

Also, it's not always the server's fault if your order comes out wrong. The QA might over look your dish and someone other then your server runs it out. There's a lot going on in the kitchen during high peak times and it can be overwhelming to everyone. Imagine checking hundreds of plates for things like no tomatoes or no sauce. One or two are bound to be over looked.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was in college. The fact is, servers tend to do better when they like their jobs. Today, it seems service isnt as good, maybe its because they just beaten up by everyone. Alot of times bad service happens because they are tired, mentally drained from all the negativity from customers, coworkers, and managers. Most dont get breaks and alot of tiems work double shifts. If something goes wrong, its not the end of the world, you survive. Most servers and places will want to fix whatever went wrong. Btw, word of advice, never be rude to your server before you get your food or drinks. Alot of them are over qualified and unhappy because of the job market so if you are prissy or rude, they might spit in your food or worse. Also, if you tip crap or stiff them, dont go back, they might mess with you. They remember you and tell other servers. WIth me, when I go out, Im just happy and glad im able to go out and have drinks and dinner. Alot of people dont have that luxury.

Mess with my food because I'm unhappy with something?

Ridiculous and just another reason why I no longer go out to dinner. I can make the same stuff at home (and it is usually better for me anyway) and I don't have to worry about pissing off someone who is mad at the world and have them spit in my food or something.

And yes, I worked as a server in the past and no matter how rude the customer was? I NEVER, EVER would have done anything to their food.

That's immature and as far as I can tell pretty unethical too. Would you like if I spit in YOUR food because you pissed me off?

I doubt it.

If you hate your job that much, get another one. Your unhappiness, resentment and downright bitter attitude towards your job and life show in the way you present yourself which results in poor customer service. Poor customer service equals less in tips.

Leave your troubles and unhappiness at the door.
  • StarkLark
    Options
    Messing with people's food is wrong, but it definitely happens. And not to the people who are simply unhappy, just to the people who are unhappy and horribly mean about it.

/server for 7 years, never screwed with anyone's order.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    *snip*
    Holly balls the industry has gotten crazy. It seems to be the norm now. They expect u to learn everything about bar-tending (pretty much every drink made and how to make them, ounces and glassware and the history of the drinks), cooking, and other stupid things like the history of the place, managers (also the trainers, founders, corp, and assistant managers) names (proper spelling) and have to learn all this in 4-6 days. If you score less than a 94 percent, you fail. They also make you take a sales test as well and see how you overcome objectives. The final is that you have to serve the managers and they ar mean to you snf harass you and insult you to see if you will quit. They think its representing the customer experience. Thats hard for people with kids or other jobs.

I'm curious why your friend is doing bar tending if they've never taken a class or had experience. Obviously to do this you have to know drinks, serving sizes and glassware.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Btw, word of advice, never be rude to your server before you get your food or drinks. Alot of them are over qualified and unhappy because of the job market so if you are prissy or rude, they might spit in your food or worse. Also, if you tip crap or stiff them, dont go back, they might mess with you. They remember you and tell other servers.
    This kind of thing is what makes me lose all respect for what you're saying. I've been a server too and I would never think of tampering with a customer's food. That's immature, and illegal.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You can't talk about how over qualified these people are, and how they get bullied and then in the same breath say that they will spit in your food and mess with you. There's no sympathy there, That doesn't fly. If you spit in other people's food you don't even deserve the $2.00/hour you're getting.
  • calvert6183
    Options
    I did it when I was in college. The fact is, servers tend to do better when they like their jobs. Today, it seems service isnt as good, maybe its because they just beaten up by everyone. Alot of times bad service happens because they are tired, mentally drained from all the negativity from customers, coworkers, and managers. Most dont get breaks and alot of tiems work double shifts. If something goes wrong, its not the end of the world, you survive. Most servers and places will want to fix whatever went wrong. Btw, word of advice, never be rude to your server before you get your food or drinks. Alot of them are over qualified and unhappy because of the job market so if you are prissy or rude, they might spit in your food or worse. Also, if you tip crap or stiff them, dont go back, they might mess with you. They remember you and tell other servers. WIth me, when I go out, Im just happy and glad im able to go out and have drinks and dinner. Alot of people dont have that luxury.

Ridiculous and just another reason why I no longer go out to dinner. I can make the same stuff at home (and it is usually better for me anyway) and I don't have to worry about pissing off someone who is mad at the world and have them spit in my food or something.

And yes, I worked as a server in the past and no matter how rude the customer was? I NEVER, EVER would have done anything to their food.

That's immature and as far as I can tell pretty unethical too. Would you like if I spit in YOUR food because you pissed me off?

I doubt it.

If you hate your job that much, get another one. Your unhappiness, resentment and downright bitter attitude towards your job and life show in the way you present yourself which results in poor customer service. Poor customer service equals less in tips.

Being upset about food is stupid in the first place. Im not talking about being upset, im talking about people yelling and cursing at people. In the old days, they would get the crap beat out of them. Like I said most are willing to fix it. Its just food. Also, people shouldnt be able to talk to people any way they want and they just take it. You dont own them nor have the right to yell or say rude things. Its simple, if you dont like something like the place or service, just dont go back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options

I doubt it.

Being upset about food is stupid in the first place. Im not talking about being upset, im talking about people yelling and cursing at people. In the old days, they would get the crap beat out of them. Like I said most are willing to fix it. Its just food. Also, people shouldnt be able to talk to people any way they want and they just take it. You dont own them nor have the right to yell or say rude things. Its simple, if you dont like something like the place or service, just dont go back.

Come on. Like I said earlier, I worked at TGIF for twelve years. No one ever yelled at a server. They may have been upset, but come on. They were usually either hungry or drunk. If ya can't take the heat, don't work in the kitchen.
  • StarkLark
    Options
    Come on. Like I said earlier, I worked at TGIF for twelve years. No one ever yelled at a server. They may have been upset, but come on. They were usually either hungry or drunk. If ya can't take the heat, don't work in the kitchen.
    You worked in a restaurant for twelve years and never saw a server get yelled at by a customer?!

I shoulda worked at TGIF :tongue: :drinker:
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

This. It's terrible what people say to servers because the cook under cooked their burger or they got the wrong dressing on the salad. They'll cuss at a server, demand to see the manager, be an @ss to the server the rest of their meal and in the end not leave a tip. A lot of servers will greet each table with a professional manner (not all though) but if the table is unsatisfied with the server, they can pick up on that. After a table has been displeased a server may assume they aren't going to tip so they care less about that table and pay more attention to the other tables.
  • calvert6183
    Options

This. It's terrible what people say to servers because the cooked under cooked their burger or they got the wrong dressing on the salad. They'll cuss at a server, demand to see the manager, be an @ss to the server the rest of their meal and in the end not leave a tip. A lot of servers will greet each table with a professional manner (not all though) but if the table is unsatisfied with the server, they can pick up on that. After a table has been displeased a server may assume they aren't going to tip so they care less about that table and pay more attention to the other tables.

Finally, someone gets it. Thank you.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    You worked in a restaurant for twelve years and never saw a server get yelled at by a customer?!

haha I guess she's the most perfect server ever that she never had a customer yell at HER!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I doubt it.

Really? Never? Luckily, I have never had to be a server (knock on wood), but everyone I know who has says that it's the worst job they've ever had. I have worked in the retail/service industry, and some people are downright abusive to workers for no reason, and I do mean abusive, cursing, yelling, complaining to the manager who then apologizes even when it's clearly the customer being an outright a** and then the customer walks away all smug because they think they've "shown them" or something, I don't really know what goes through such people's heads. They like to try to exert power over others or something. And just being a customer in restaurants I have seen other customers be outrageous to their server. You can bet that if I know that customer complained to the manager and I witnessed what went on I'm going to say something to the manager, I'm not going to let someone get p***ed on by someone else who gets some sort of sick satisfaction out of getting a hard worker into trouble. (Not to say there aren't terrible servers, who definitely don't deserve much of a tip if any at all, but I have been witness to far more crazy customers).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options

haha I guess she's the most perfect server ever that she never had a customer yell at HER!

Maybe I'm being a little too literal. No one ever YELLED at me. I'm not saying they were never upset. But if you serve a hundred people a day an you have one person every three weeks that are upset, unless you do it on purpose - I don't think it's really a deal-breaker. Every job has frustrations. I'm saying that being a server has ups and downs. I was never yelled at. Nor did I ever hear of anyone "yelled at." So, yeah, I'm that good.
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've waited tables for 8 years and it is a hard job, but at least it is a job. I deal with drunks when I work my 2 nights a week and it is not a pleasant experience.