New to this site and ready for a BIG change

Options
estherguas
estherguas Posts: 113 Member
Hello, my name is Esther and I just joined this site.. I'm trying to lose weight as I am currently the fattest I have ever been in my entire life weighing in at 304 pounds (holy crap), I know how I got here but honestly I can't believe I am. I mean what the heck happened? all of a sudden I can't even squeeze my butt into my fat jeans and I'm in a weight bracket that I never imagined and always swore I would not be. I recently had a visit with my doctor and he prescribed me 37.5mg phentermine tablets he explained that they are an appetite suppressant and that they will help me to eat less and also have more energy so I can actually get on my treadmill and not just talk about getting on my treadmill. I just started taking them on Monday 7/6/09 and so far so good, I was a bit nervous to take the pill because I'm not really a pill person especially when the majority of prescription drugs out there while they may be effective usually come with a slew of side effects... so far the pill is doing what it's supposed to do the truth is since Monday I have almost had to force myself to eat and I have a ton of energy the only thing is.. I've been struggling with eating enough... Monday I only ate 1100 calories and Tuesday 1200 my doctor said I should be eating between 1500 and 1800 calories per day to lose weight and be healthy and even worse than that the calories I am consuming are not quality if you know what I mean, A typical day is a small bagel with cream cheese or english muffin with butter..lunch is an Atkins shake and maybe a sugar free jello or apple sauce cup and dinner is a small portion of whater I can get my hands on...My brother in law suggested that I start cooking more so I can eat healthier but who has time to cook?!! So I went out and bought a cookbook called Cook yourself thin and I think I am going to try to make a few of the recipes and see how that goes... my goal is to lose 120 pounds but honestly even if I only lost 60 pounds that would be a vast improvement...I'm hoping to meet some new people and possibly find a support group here.
242545.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Welcome to the site!!! I know your doctor said you should be having that many calories, but really as long as you are having ATLEAST 1200 you should be fine :happy: Anything below 1200 puts your body into starvation mode and you body will actually hold onto the fat even more :frown: And I learned that the hard way...ummm...a few times :blushing: LOL! And that's a great cookbook! Another great cook book is the Hungry Girl book :wink: And I know that cooking takes a bit of time, so in my case...I make extra and freeze my own "frozen meals" portioned to however many calories!!! Maybe that's something that would work for you! The lean cuisines and smart ones that i've bought, i've saved the trays and use those then just put aluminum foil over it and write on the top what's in there and some of the nutritional information!!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers cookbooks are great, too. We have a bunch of them. I'm not a cook but even I can make those recipes.

If you're not eating enough, your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose weight or worse - you will gain weight. Hubby gained 100 pounds because he wasn't eating enough (just ate once a day, salad).

You can use shortcuts for healthy snacks, you know there's always fruit. Raw veggies you can cut up a bunch at once and put them in snack baggies so all you have to do is grab one. I also like Nutrigrain waffles, 2 are 170 (or 140?) calories, and I put a TB of peanut butter on them and make it like a sandwich, very filling, and good for you. Bagel with cream cheese is fine - whole wheat bagel, low fat cream cheese.

Another trick I use is I get Smart Ones entrees, and on days I dont' have time to make my lunch, I heat up one of those. I also buy the bagged salads with the dressing and everything already in there, and eat half the bag (usually 2-3 servings in a bag) and the Smart Ones entree, and it's a low cal, but very filling meal.

If you can't eat enough, try drinking it, with yogurt smoothies or something.
  • thefroggie79
    thefroggie79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've taken phentermine before and what I did with the pill is cut it in half and take half in the a.m. and the other half in the early afternoon (2hrs after lunch)....that way I would actually feel hungry to be able to eat the right amount of calories! I actually only took phentermine for a month in that way b/c I felt it "trained" my body to eat and be used to eating a certain amount of food. Plus I felt like my body was gettin gused to the pill anyways. I ended up losing a total of 20lbs doing it this way. I'm thinkin of doing it again now that I have had another baby and need to lose that 20lbs again!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so motivational, helpful, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear from someone who has taken phentermine too and had success, I feel the same way like the phentermine is changing the way I think about food and how much I eat of it.. like I'm being trained to listen to my body and only eat when I am hungry instead of out of boredome or worse pleasure...lol
  • silmor
    silmor Posts: 12
    Options
    Gosh,
    I took phentermine as well, for only a month, i did lose weight. but i gained it back. I am on ADD meds now, which make people lose weight, but not me... I must be really special because i never lost weight on it and it is a 'speed' like med. Good luck, and i am glad you are on this site, it will help you to reach your goals...
    Blessings
    Silvia
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I weighed more than you when I started (using another site). The lowest I ate was 1400 usually I ate around 1700.
    Weight Watchers cookbooks are great, too. We have a bunch of them. I'm not a cook but even I can make those recipes.

If you're not eating enough, your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose weight or worse - you will gain weight. Hubby gained 100 pounds because he wasn't eating enough (just ate once a day, salad).

You can use shortcuts for healthy snacks, you know there's always fruit. Raw veggies you can cut up a bunch at once and put them in snack baggies so all you have to do is grab one. I also like Nutrigrain waffles, 2 are 170 (or 140?) calories, and I put a TB of peanut butter on them and make it like a sandwich, very filling, and good for you. Bagel with cream cheese is fine - whole wheat bagel, low fat cream cheese.

Another trick I use is I get Smart Ones entrees, and on days I dont' have time to make my lunch, I heat up one of those. I also buy the bagged salads with the dressing and everything already in there, and eat half the bag (usually 2-3 servings in a bag) and the Smart Ones entree, and it's a low cal, but very filling meal.

If you can't eat enough, try drinking it, with yogurt smoothies or something.