Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    They really need to let people know that it's "added" sugar and not just sugar in general.

I think this fails the logic test - if I use concentrated apple juice to sweeten an oat based cereal is the "added" sugar a problem ?

Fruit juice (natural, expressed, no added anything) contains sugars - sucrose, glucose and fructose - just like regular sodas do. Fruit is essentially fruit juice plus a bit of fiber and pulp used for cattle feed.

http://www.hookedonjuice.com/
    Yes, it's going to confuse people for eternity. Nothing wrong with sugar.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I dont understand why people think that sugar is ok if it comes from fruit. some is ok but too much is too much. your body dont care where sugar comes from but it cares if you give it too much. too much fruit sugar is just as bad as if you dump too much sugar in your coffee

well, you're right that your body breaks it down into chemical elements the same, regardless of source. but barring a pre-existing condition? sugar in moderate amounts doesn't matter. a healthy body will process it just fine.

are you worried about diabetes? is that the deal here? because sugar doesn't cause that. the failure to process sugar the right way is a symptom of the disease.

or are you thinking sugar = weight gain? because that's a calorie.

well .....now you changed or clarified your position....now you say "in moderate amounts"...thats my point.....earlier you said dont even track it...others have said if its sugar from fruit dont worry...but .fruits are like anything....moderation...but some think you can just eat all the fruit you want...you cant ...you still need to watch those calories and sugar too if you are managing your weight

well, no. not changed. I said from the start that if you are counting your calories and eating within your goals, you're fine. don't worry about the sugar. because, when you're doing that, you are already going to be consuming it in moderate amounts -- unless, I guess, you just fill your entire day with all candy and soda and zero real meals/food.