Is it possible for the scale to be wrong..

Options
in your favour? I've been eating well over my 1200 a day quite frequently, sometimes couting in exercise, sometimes not. If I go 100-200cal over 1200, I don't really worry too much, because thats still a 1200cal deficiency. So anyways, I weighed myself yesterday morning, and the scale said I was down to 150.8, and I'm think progress! yay! finally! Cause I've been stuck at 152-153 for awhile now. I went for an 80km bike ride yesterday, so, well, obviously I didn't eat all the calories lol, it was like 1700 or something crazy. But now I'm back up to 152.2 :grumble:

I understand that weight can fluctuate with food and water and such.. upwards, but is there anyway to get a false negative reading that's below your actual weight? I usually drink upwards of 3L a day, so I don't think I was dehydrated.. Or am I actually down to 151 and I'm justing having a water weight day today? :crossesfingers:

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so much. Your weight can fluctuate either way up to 5 pounds at any given time during a day. I only weigh once a week at most. I also use a tape measure twice a month. My weight hasn't gone down much but I am losing inches.
  • DFoether
    DFoether Posts: 8
    Options
    Do you move the scale or weight yourself at the same place on the same type of floor covering everytime you weight in? Some people on here have noticed that different types of flooring (i.e. carpet as opposed to tile) give a different reading on the scale.

I get the same thing on my scale at home, but usually I get like a 7-8 lbs negative one day and the next will have lost only a pound or two. I can't explain it either, but it does happen.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had this happen.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Scale can be wrong if you put it on carpet, or uneven floors.
    Some people put the scale on the floor at the exact same spot to get a reading.

I just looked up the weight of water, as I wasn't sure myself.

1L = 1000ml
    Weight of 1ml of water (1cc) = 1gm
    1000gm = 1kg
    1kg = 2.2 lbs

So if you drank 3 Liters that would be 6.6lbs of water in a day. So you can see how people's weight can fluctuate.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Okay thanks guys :flowerforyou:
    I only weighed myself 2 days in a row to see if the loss had held, cause I was a little skeptical lol.
    But I just measured, and I've lost half an inch off my waist and thighs, so there has been progress :bigsmile:
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My scale actually changes readings if I move it to different places around my room. I suspect that the floor isn't completely level and that is affecting the measurements.