Recipes for Butternut Squash

Options
agarlits
agarlits Posts: 429 Member
Anybody got any recipes they can share?

I want to try something new tonight (I'm the cook at the house) and I've been wanting to try butternut squash but dont know any recipes and didnt want to pull anything off the internet unless I know its good.

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    I like to just roast the whole squash in the oven at 375 for about an hour (or until it is soft when poked with a fork).

Split it open, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. They are very good just natural like that.

You can also make a great soup out it, by adding some milk (I use non-fat), salt, pepper, a touch of butter, and blend it up with a stick blender right in the pot.
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    I've got one for garlic butternut squash that I find super yummy. Lots of colour added to the plate! (originally from allrecipes.com they have lots more squash recipes!) :smile:

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp salt (I don't like salt, so I normally only add a small pinch)
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    (I normally also add some red pepper flakes for a little more kick)

Directions:
    Combine the parsley, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add squash and toss to coat.
    Transfer to an ungreased shallow 2qt baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400F for 50-55 minutes or until squash is just tender (time is definitely variable, it depends on your oven).

I find that the squash can be really hard to cut unless you have a really strong, large knife. My trick is to put it in the microwave for a few minutes just to soften it up a little bit to make your job easy. Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl Butternut squash fries

Cut (into fry shapes) and clean 1 butternut squash

Sprinkle with Kosher salt

bake and 350 until they are as soft at you like (mine take about 8 minutes or so). They are so sweet and so good. Can dip in sugar free syrup but I LOVE mine just as is!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Cut in to wedges (no need to take off the skin, but do scrape put the seeds), sprinkle with cumin seeds and pepper (a bit of olive oil if you can afford the caloeris), roast in the oven for 20-25 mins and then whizz up in a blender (skin and all) with a little bit of hot water/stock/cream (delete as per your diet allows) - yummy soup and so easy!