Extra skin

Options
I was wondering does any one know how long it takes your skin to catch up?? I didn't lose the weight very fast but now I have some flabby skin. Thanks!

Replies

• christahollis
    Options
    The most consistent estimate I've seen is a year. A year at your current weight, and your skin will readjust as much as it's ever going to...
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i was told it takes years of water and exercise.:cry:
    but your young age will help too!:wink::wink:

i'm sure u will receive many post replies from more knowledgeable MFPers then this flabby old lady!:tongue::tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • rwiener8
    rwiener8 Posts: 1
    Options
    My friend who had a lot of extra skin found that water aerobics and swimming helped. Good Luck!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Thank you.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm really worried about this and I'm curious to hear the answers.
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    To everyone who responded THANKS!!

I have the extra on my stomach which I understand after having three babies. I am mostly concerned with the skin on my arms. It would be great if it all went away, but if it doesn't that's okay too. I was just wondering if it was permanent or if my body would reabsorb the old me.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    depending on age, how stretched out it was to begin with, how long it was stretched, and the quality of your food intake, it may never come back fully, but yes, it can take a year at minimum for your skin to regain it's elasticity. Healthy fats, and all the RDA vitamins required will help it "snap back" but in some cases after large weight loss, surgury is the only option for reducing a lot of extra skin.
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    Well I had three full term pregnancies then I was at the 145-150 in between each pregnancy. I don't want to lose anymore weight so I am working on maintaining. My youngest is 17 months now so I am hoping that my next summer things will come back a bit. I am not expecting to ever look like I did before the kids but more skin firmness would be nice.

Thank you everyone!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age and genetics as far as skin elasticity goes. It is not recommended to have any "work" done until you have been at your current weight for at least one year. Basically so you don't do like Eric on the biggest loser and go get all the excess cut off and then gain weight back.

Anyway, a little skin is better than a lot of weight. :wink:
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    Thank you!! I would much rather have the skin than the weight. :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!