Transition to Vibram's for over-pronators?

Options
Ok I've been researching Vibram's Five Fingers to see if they are suitable for people who over-pronate. There's so much conflicting information out there. So, I thought I'd see if anyone has any personal experience with them. I'm aware that you need to transition slowly but I'm wondering just how slowly?...and even if I should as an over-pronator? Also, I'm curious what shoes you used to make the transition.

Another consideration is that I'm just hearing now that you should forefoot strike....when I learned to run I was told to heel-->toe so I forced myself to start doing so. So, now I'm having to relearn my natural running form...I was thinking more minimalist shoes would help with that. I've been wearing thick stability shoes with an orthotic and it felt ok when I was heel toeing but it feels so awkward and heavy when I try to forefoot strike.

Also, if anyone has any really good links for info that would be awesome!

Replies

• VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • jackilbride
    Options
    Vibrams are great, but when they say slowly, they do mean slowly. I wouldn't do more than a mile or two a couple of times a week to start-- be overly conservative, as you can really injure yourself if you jump in to Vibrams or any minimalist shoes too quickly. Some people don't have any problems.... others, like myself, wind up with an injury that sidelines them for weeks.

Minimalist shoes do help promote a forefoot or midfoot strike, but keep in mind that this is going to force you to use muscles that you probably haven't used before. You will be sore, and you have to give your body plenty of time to adjust.

That being said, there are a lot of shoes that are still a minimalist style but that are a little more similar to the stability shoes you're used to. Most shoe companies are jumping on the minimalist bandwagon right now. Running in something like that for awhile might help ease the transition into Vibrams.