proteins

orr_stacie
orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
Is it THAT bad to go over in proteins? I seem to keep going over. Im not a big meat eater but I still seem to go over. HELP!

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    unless you go over a LOT then its really not an issue if your protein intake is..lets say 50% of your intake for that day then yea that's not good, but a little isn't bad you need good carbs in your diet and healthy fats so dont feel that those macros are "bad"
  • orr_stacie
    Thank you!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Exactly the post I'm looking for. The protein requirement is way too low, especially for anyone looking to grow or maintain muscle. I lift a lot so I just ignore the reccomendation. It's all just a guidline anyways. Most of my earned cals go into earing more protein so I can protect my muscle and burn fat.

No, it is not bad if you go over. You want to get a good amount of carbs in for the energy and nutrients they provide, but the protein will boost your metabolism, keep you full, and support fat-burning muscle. I aim for 100 g of protein a day.

I'd say it would be too much only if you didnt leave enough caloric room for whole carbs and oils and produce.
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm a vegetarian and always go over on my proteins lol not by loads I find it a useful tool on here because I always have to much sugar (didnt realise how much was hidden away in things) and am always under on my fats so have altered some of the things I eat slightly x
  • creature275
    I'm a vegetarian and always go over on my proteins lol not by loads I find it a useful tool on here because I always have to much sugar (didnt realise how much was hidden away in things) and am always under on my fats so have altered some of the things I eat slightly x

what....your vegetarian so you go over on your protein?? do you drink a lot of shakes haha, I think you meant to say carbs, and veggies are good carbs low GI so dont even count those "sugars" from veggies
  • kateguy1981
    lol no its proteins go over on those not by loads but go over on my carbs and not enough fat. I like my pulses and quorn lol
  • kateguy1981
    lol no its proteins go over on those not by loads but go over on my carbs and not enough fat. I like my pulses and quorn lol
  • creature275
    whats pulses and quorn? Im American I dont know what those are
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Exactly the post I'm looking for. The protein requirement is way too low, especially for anyone looking to grow or maintain muscle. I lift a lot so I just ignore the reccomendation. It's all just a guidline anyways. Most of my earned cals go into earing more protein so I can protect my muscle and burn fat.

No, it is not bad if you go over. You want to get a good amount of carbs in for the energy and nutrients they provide, but the protein will boost your metabolism, keep you full, and support fat-burning muscle. I aim for 100 g of protein a day.

I'd say it would be too much only if you didnt leave enough caloric room for whole carbs and oils and produce.

You can manually adjust your macros, that is what I have done with mine. I set them to 30 P, 30 F, and 40 C. I also manually set my calories since I don't agree with eating 1,200 a day (as suggested). As long as you know what you want, manually set, it's a much better tracking tool that way. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    whats pulses and quorn? Im American I dont know what those are

Pulses are legumes - beans, lentils etc. Quorn is actually available in the US - its a mycoprotein derived from fungus.

I get between 100g and 150g of protein a day without needing to use protein powder usually. It's actually not hard if you eat a lot of dairy like I do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    MFP default is set really low. You should really treat it like a minimum (same for fats). I feel that 45/30/25 C/F/P is a better macro set up (I have mine set at 40/30/30 but do not worry if my protein is a little lower as long as I hit the equivalent of 1g per 1lb of lean body mass). You would have to eat A LOT of protein for quite a while to actually eat to much.
  • kateguy1981
    quorn is actually a really good source of protein and is a lot lower in calories then meat obviously not everyones cup of tea but I find it fine especially if you use the mince in chilli or spag bol x
  • orr_stacie
    thank you
  • orr_stacie
    Thanks!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member

what....your vegetarian so you go over on your protein?? do you drink a lot of shakes haha, I think you meant to say carbs, and veggies are good carbs low GI so dont even count those "sugars" from veggies

It's really easy to get protein as a vegetarian lol I try for 120-130 OP if that helps you any.
  • jonand57
    jonand57 Posts: 14 Member
    I also agree that the default macros are too low for protein. I set mine to 40/30/30 CPF and usually hit 100 grams of protein without supplements. The most important thing I learnt:drinker: from this site is that its not so important on the calories you eat but the quality of calories. Stay away from highly processed and fast foods and the weight will eventually come off. I have been able to do this without much stress. Altlhough yesterday I did share a large popcorn and Twix chocolate bar at the movies with my wife. I enjoyed the treat.