beware of the internet

Options
Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
several recent threads have offered up articles from the internet regarding diet and fitness. many of them offer old information and some offer blatently wrong information. without fail however, many MFP members quickly claim they will adapt their program to incorporate the wrong information into their regimen.

because someone has "published" their view onto the internet does not mean they are qualified to advise you.

we are not sheep. are we?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I must say many of these "Articles" are just blogs or random unqualified people's opinions. Hell some of them are just overlong advertisements for supplements.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome in the 21st century..... world of misinformed and media driven sheeps..... getting medical advice from internet has never been a good idea... however it is pa of the human nature / culture to follow these advices.... ever heard about the "wise woman" treatment or way or doing things based on what the neighbors of our second degree cousin's wife was doing ?

No surprise there.... even now, people still go see "healers" and miracle makers so why not follow misguided info from the internet ?
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ... So what you are saying is that eating one small puppy a week won't make me lose weight faster?!

hotdog.jpg
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ... So what you are saying is that eating one small puppy a week won't make me lose weight faster?!

hotdog.jpg

Well, only if the puppy was fed a grain free diet
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    several recent threads have offered up articles from the internet regarding diet and fitness. many of them offer old information and some offer blatently wrong information. without fail however, many MFP members quickly claim they will adapt their program to incorporate the wrong information into their regimen.

because someone has "published" their view onto the internet does not mean they are qualified to advise you.

we are not sheep. are we?

Lemmings :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    One can find some really great information on the web, as well as some really bad information. The trick is being able to sort out one from the other. That can be hard at times. Exactly why I often ask questions here about things I can easily Google. Not because I don't know how to use a search engine, but because I want to guidance of more experienced persons.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    One can find some really great information on the web, as well as some really bad information. The trick is being able to sort out one from the other. That can be hard at times. Exactly why I often ask questions here about things I can easily Google. Not because I don't know how to use a search engine, but because I want to guidance of more experienced persons.

I agree.

Also the problem is that there are lots of contradicting information on internet that is being posted here that is making one's head spin. And even blogs or websites from among those reputable fitness personalities you can also find contradicting information. Some say functional fitness is the best while other says one should focus on body builder style of training. Some says HIIT is the best while steady cardio is bad for you & in the meantime others will point out the opposite.

I think it is best to just stick to whatever is working for us & not rely solely on the internet. Internet's job is just to give some opinions & insights but it doesn't mean that they're 100% right.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Contradicting information may actually not be contradicting. Many times people are talking about specific application to a specific problem. Trying to generalize that information doesn't really work.

There is a quote about beginners and experts on a subject and how they handle information about said subject..but I can't find it. I did find this handy dandy chart though. No clue how to scale the damn image. Basically people in the novice range (many of us) aren't seeing the whole picture and think that doing X with solve problem Y, when it really only solves Y/100.

novice-to-expert.png