Clean Eating

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
I'd like to start eating clean!! I have semi tried it for about a week and felt AMAZING! But then I caved and had Dairy Queen and feel crappy. I want to hit it hardcore and really focus on only filling my body with nutrient rich foods and limit processed foods as much as possible!

For anyone who eats "clean" -

tips? websites? recipes? grocery list ideas? any advice will be helpful! THANKS! :)

Replies

• MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno was a good read :-)
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hey I eat clean and second the tosca reno books...they helped. My diary is open if you want to see it. My one fault living in Europe so long is I drink red wine daily...but cardiologist says my heart is that of a 20 yr old and to keep it up, so i log it and drink it. Thats my vice....gave up sugar, white flour ....all junk....body fat% dropped significantly.

Add me if you like
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I wanna know to Sarah!
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    hey I eat clean and second the tosca reno books...they helped. My diary is open if you want to see it. My one fault living in Europe so long is I drink red wine daily...but cardiologist says my heart is that of a 20 yr old and to keep it up, so i log it and drink it. Thats my vice....gave up sugar, white flour ....all junk....body fat% dropped significantly.

Add me if you like

I want to like red wine but I only like white. :( I don't like a dry wine. But don't like it overly sweet.
  • mruszaj
    mruszaj Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer really recomemnds this for eating clean, nutrient rich, unprocessed foods.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder

Stay in tier 1 and 2, the lower you go in tiers, the more processed and calorie dense the food is. Uh-mazing!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! i'm excited to start cleaning clean for REAL!

:)

add me if you eat clean and want to support each other !
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Google tosca reno and the gracious pantry. Tons of info. Shop the perimeter of the store. Venturing in the middle for grains etc. If you want ideas my diary is open.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yep, Tosca Reno is alright, but when you go to the grocery store, do your shopping along the outside (along the walls) of the store and not down the isles. Eat meat, some potatoes, and lots of vegetables. Variety, balance and expand your horizons by trying a new vegetable each month. (because nobody does that **** weekly :) )
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I ate clean (no processed foods, white flour, etc) for a couple of months last year and I felt AMAZING. Then fall set in, the garden stopped producing vegetables, and I started a new time consuming job. Excuses, I know. Then I started feeling awful again, and it snowballed.

I super recently had a really ugly food week (or month) and I got fed up with feeling so slumpy.. I decided that I was only going to allow myself to eat clean. I eat organic when possible, but it can get expensive.. But I will allow myself to eat fruits, vegetables, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, almond milk, steel cut oats, rice, quinoa, nuts (although I have cut them out recently because I can't seem to control my portions), lean meats, hummus, eggs, etc. I still have a little book called "Food Rules - An Eater's Manual" by Michael Pollan, and it's a good, quick guide. I read it in an evening after dinner. It has little rules.. One is "Don't eat anything that your great grandparents wouldn't recognize" -- Anyway, it's a good little read, I recommend it.

If I had to suggest only ONE resource for you, it would be to watch the documentary "Food Matters". This is what changed my life last year, and I watched it again to get me back on track.

I recently signed up for a full-share CSA that will begin in June (which will force me to eat lots of veggies so they don't go bad!). And I stick by my guidelines. As long as I'm within my calories, I can eat tons of fulfilling, great-tasting foods. It's really not a "diet" but a lifestyle.. And to be quite honest, I don't miss the junk very much.

Will I have a meal every once in awhile that is not "clean"? -- Yes, I'm sure. There's a place in town that has Bacon Macaroni and Cheese and it's by far one of the most amazing things I've put in my mouth. But I know I won't make it my whole meal. I'll get a salad as my main dish and eat a small portion of it on the side.

Keep a food journal (outside of your diary) and keep track of your mood, how the food made you feel, etc. There are tons of books, websites and magazines with great menu ideas.

Feel free to add me, I need more clean eaters on my list. :)

[Edited for typo.]
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer really recomemnds this for eating clean, nutrient rich, unprocessed foods.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder

Stay in tier 1 and 2, the lower you go in tiers, the more processed and calorie dense the food is. Uh-mazing!

wow! That is super great stuff.

To OP... It is my goal to eat clean.. but I'm so bad at it, especially on the weekends, or when I'm super busy. I work full time and I go to school full time and I travel a lot- so I eat out a lot. Hopefully this info will help. Thanks for posting and getting the convo going.
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks going to look up these tips later