What would you do if you earned $10,000 per month?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I think it would really depend on your cost of living. If you made $10k a month while living in an area in the mid-west where the cost of living is relatively low it could definitely stretch.
    True. My mortgage alone is $4000 compared to when I lived in VA with about the same size house with a mortgage half the cost (since the house was half the cost).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Cost of living here is LOW. I can survive on $1500 a month if I had to because I live very modestly. Luckily we have more than that so I SAVE everything above and beyond what I need because i believe there will be no social security by the time I am that old.

But if I had 10K a month? I would SAVE 5K, every month, and live a tiny bit more freely than I do now, but I would not go crazy with it. I don't believe in car payments. Only drive what you can buy outright.

Totally off topic, but did anyone else notice how ridiculously hot Robin is?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'd do a lot
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you earned $10.000 a month then you'll probably we working 12-15hr days every day and having to be on call to work evenings and weekends too. Because you'll be a director or SVP and have heaps of responsibility. You may have little time for family, exercise and recreation beyond attending client dinners, networking and the other things a job at that level brings. Sure you'll be able to own a nice house, a nice car and take luxurious holidays, which you will need to compensate for the 46-48 weeks a year you'll be working.

You'll pay more tax, have more expensive outgoings and overheads and possible more stress and headaches.

Unless you are über-disciplined, you'll probably overeat and/or gain weight from lack of exercise.

Now, if we won the Lotto and that was our monthly income after tax and we didn't have to work, life would be sweet!

We probably wouldn't move, but definitely get that extension we want built.

I'd have a PT to whip my *kitten* into shape and get me to work on my strength training.

I'd have an endless swimming pool built at the bottom of the garden.

We'd travel more - go places we've always dreamed of and fly business-class and stay in 4**** hotels (and I know the ones I want to stay at :wink:)

Certainly we'd donate more to our chosen charities and I'd get to see dad more often.

But having said all that, I can't really complain about my life. To quote Paulo Nuttini, I have food in my belly and licence for my telly and nothing's gonna bring me down. I have my health, a loving husband, fantastic friends. Who could ask for anything more! :bigsmile:
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A horse.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Pay off my car and my husband's car, save up for a downpayment on a house or else build our dream home. (It's one of those tiny homes: only 450 sq ft and no mortgage.) Other than that? Probably save it for retirement. A small portion would go to things like new clothes, more Christmas presents, and semi-annual vacations, but nothing lavish.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'd save like ****! Because pretty soon they'd realise that I wasn't worth what they were paying me and kick me out.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pay off student loans.
    Travel to each continent.
    Buy a beach house(modest)
    Have my dream kitchen and yard with pool.
    Donate to charities regularly.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    I would live instead of surviving!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That is several times what I make each month, but I can pay my bills on what I have and that is good enough for now.

I imagine that I would put more away in savings, stop putting off necessary repairs on my house (cracked walls, leaky roof, no hot water to the shower, etc), and would make sure my son, who has some pretty major social and behavioral issues, gets the help he needs.

Those are things I can't afford to do now, but even though my house is falling apart and my son needs more help than I can get him, I do my best and just try to be grateful for what I do have.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'd hire an accountantsince the taxes on that would be insanely high. Lol also
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    as for saying 10k isnt a lot..

think where you live!

I live in Nassau county, long island new york, one of the most expensive counties in the country (and highest taxes).. i live near some of forbes top zip codes..

10k a month in middle of no where nebraska (no offense) is A LOT of money. 10k here is mostly average for a household.. 10k as an individual is awesome though! (whoohoo)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, like, "Sign up for my MLM scheme, and you'll be making.."
    But seriously, I really couldn't afford such a drastic pay cut.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    as for saying 10k isnt a lot..

think where you live!

I live in Nassau county, long island new york, one of the most expensive counties in the country (and highest taxes).. i live near some of forbes top zip codes..

10k a month in middle of no where nebraska (no offense) is A LOT of money. 10k here is mostly average for a household.. 10k as an individual is awesome though! (whoohoo)

yeah--I was looking at manhattan apartments....yowsa...2k is nothing for a teeny shack.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    2k for a tiny nothing in a part of manhattan you wouldnt want to live in.. try 3k just for a nicer area for i dunno 500sqft?
    yeah--I was looking at manhattan apartments....yowsa...2k is nothing for a teeny shack.
  • michaelnares
    michaelnares Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the more you make the more you spend
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Get my jaw wired shut :)

Seriously, I'd hire a PCA for my daughter who has Aspberger's Syndrome. I'd buy a new car to replace my junker. Pay off my house.

There are a lot of people that I know or have know to whom 10k could mean the world..for them, I'd share..wouldn't that be fun :)
  • titefleur
    titefleur Posts: 1
    Options
    avec 10.000 par mois moi je macheterais un gym je deviendrais proprio jacheterais les machines comme sa jpourais pas dire que parce que je travail de nuit je peu pas mentrainer sa serait rendu sa mon job :D
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    the more you make the more you spend

I agree, and I am more than sure that many people on MFP saw this and thought "I could never survive on $10,000 per month! " Depends on your cost of living I guess.
  • indy_jh
    indy_jh Posts: 20
    Options
    As others have already stated, I think $10k/month could be a lot or not much at all relative to your local cost of living. ($10k/month is decent in my line of work, but it's not exorbitant.)

But, if I can rephrase it a bit: What would I do with a LOT of money each month -- assuming it would be steady for the rest of my life?

Travel. I'd go all over the world.

Buy a small farm in Northern Cal or Southern Oregon and have some animals and a kick-*kitten* out-door grill where I'd have friends and family over for some great barbecues.

Get more education -- but stuff I WANT to learn rather than what I NEED to learn, like oil or water-color painting and wood-working.

I'd remodel a little house (or build one), and I'd have a killer garden.

(Hell, I might just do all that anyway...)