Am Confused

Options
Gentyl
Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
Hi, I'm fairly new here (April 18th) and am very confused. Initially, I lost the first 10 pounds within the first week, just counting calories, exercising every once in a while as my body would allow, and then, if it's even possible, I plateaued for 2 weeks! Last week, I stopped even counting my calories, ate sensibly whatever it is I wanted, but stopped eating after 4 PM, and Viola! I've lost 3 pounds this week. How does that happen??? I mean, seriously?! I know I"m going to have to get consistent here pretty soon, as I have another 60 or 70 pounds to lose, but, my goodness me.. It's all so very odd.

I think I just really need support. My daughter graduates from college next year, and I don't want to go her graduation like this. I weigh 196 pounds right now, and I just am disgusted with myself. So, please feel free to add me as a friend, those supportive people. I'm a very supportive person, I can assure you.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Welcome! A few tidbits 1) Losing 10 pounds in one week is an indication of water-loss rather than fat loss - but that's still quite a bit 2) Most folks' weight loss isn't a consistent journey of 1-2 pounds a week - it can and most likely will fluctuate up and down; 3) Your metabolism doesn't shut down at 9 at night, so it really doesn't matter when you eat. 4) You can, however, be consistent in your efforts. Eat the right amount of calories (no steady under-eating; you really don't want to slow down your metabolism), get some exercise that you enjoy, eat healthy foods most of the time, drink enough water, and get a decent amount of sleep. In other words, make this a lifestyle change you can live with and give it enough time. Good luck to you!
  • MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a year long goal to lose 75 pounds too. My little sister is getting married and I can't imagine putting my current body in a maid of honor dress. I've lost weight in the past and I found counting calories, working out at least 3 times a week and being consistent were the big things. I drank lots of water and found Zumba which is still my favorite. I gained back all the weight and then some after my wedding and 2 pregnancys within 5 weeks of each other. your weight will fluctuate up and down. only weigh in once a week and always at the same time. I found that if I weighed every day it just frustrated me because it fluctuated so much with water. I hope you make your goal! I just started here a couple of days ago but I started working on it all about 5 weeks ago and have lost 13 pounds since then. It takes time but you'll get there!
  • jacksie21
    jacksie21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome, I find that MFP is a great site, it helps me keep on track during the day, I have the app on my phone and I use it throughout my day. A big loss at the start happened because you started eating the proper amount of calories for your body. A plateau isn't a cause to be upset...at least you didn't gain! You said you lost by eating sensibly, which has the same effect of eating the proper amount of calories. Being aware of what and how much we are putting into our bodies is the key, no matter which way we go about it!
    You have set yourself a goal, that is something to focus on, keep up with this site it helps. I just started in January and I have a long way to go but it is getting easier every week, I will add you as a friend if you like, having someone to keep you on track is helpful.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stopping eating at 4 pm isn't doing you any good, in fact it may be doing you more harm than good. I had roughly 120 pounds to lose (I'm 40 down, woohoo!) and I eat every 2-3 hours without ever going over 3 hours without a snack or a meal. This is what I was taught at the clinic I went to for my food issues (binge eating, food obsessing, etc). If I eat dinner and it's three hours later, regarless if it's midnight, I have a snack. The point is to keep my bloodsugar as steady as possible throughout the day. I also eat breakfast within 30 minutes of being awake just to make sure I get my day started on a positive note.

You have to give your body time to adjust and work it all out. Like the previous poster said, you can't expect a consistant loss every single week. It's just not realistic for most people and not because of their efforts but because there are SO many factors that play into your weight, such as sodium intake, water retention, exercise, your monthly period.

Basically you just have to find out what works for you and your lifestyle and stick with it for a solid 2-3 months and see if it's something that you can both live with and get results with.

good luck!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't always linear, and that can be frustrating. But if you are consistent, and patient, it will work.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a year long goal to lose 75 pounds too. My little sister is getting married and I can't imagine putting my current body in a maid of honor dress. I've lost weight in the past and I found counting calories, working out at least 3 times a week and being consistent were the big things. I drank lots of water and found Zumba which is still my favorite. I gained back all the weight and then some after my wedding and 2 pregnancys within 5 weeks of each other. your weight will fluctuate up and down. only weigh in once a week and always at the same time. I found that if I weighed every day it just frustrated me because it fluctuated so much with water. I hope you make your goal! I just started here a couple of days ago but I started working on it all about 5 weeks ago and have lost 13 pounds since then. It takes time but you'll get there!

Yes, definitely add me! That would be great.

I gained all of my weight after my third child. It just never came off. It's good to have my daughter's graduation as a goal, and it's great to have your sister's wedding as a goal. You can do it! One day at a time. I think I'm learning that it's about enjoying the journey, to not see it as a chore. I'm not there yet, but it's coming to me.

Thank you all for the advice and support. I'm rethinking this 'not eating after 4 PM'. I think I'm learning to just listen to my body. The human body is, indeed, an amazing machine. Obviously, it's not the greatest idea to go to bed on a full stomach, so maybe just ensure that I don't eat 3 or 4 hours before bed. Or if I feel that my blood sugar is a little low, maybe just a piece of fruit, a glass of soy milk. Mostly, I think I just need to relax! :)