How to cut down on sugar

Options
amy12321
amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
I eat WAYYY too much sugar and I don't know how to cut down. Is it really necessary though? I mean, I don't have diabetes and I'm 18. I get lots of exercise and I don't eat cakes and candies. Sometimes I eat cookies and frozen yogurt. But on an average day... I don't and my sugar is still too much. Anyone have any advice?
My diary is open for anyone to read so just check it out if you want and let me know.
Thanks.

Replies

• yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Stop eating Jam, Brownies, chocolate and cookies, I think it's pretty straight forward :) Refined sugars aren't really good for you, sugars from fruit on other hand shouldn't really count unless you are diabetic because the benefits outweigh the amount of sugar.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I set my sugars to 50g a day for 1600 Cal. I find that covers it, and 50g seems fair to me. You could bake your own goods to control sugar content.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Food awareness. If you know ahead of time what foods contain sugar, and which ones don't you can make better informed decisions.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You don't need to focus on eliminating sugar as much as eliminating REFINED sugar, which really has zero health benefits and can increase your cravings. I was a complete sugar addict all my life, could polish off half a dozen cupcakes in one sitting and had - no, NEEDED - candy daily. I went sugar-free in March and although the first few weeks were tough, I haven't had any desire to eat candy, cookies or sweets now! They're just not appealing. And, for the first time EVER - I've noticed my muffin top is nearly gone. So it does work!

As for your diary - what the heck are you putting in your smoothies, girl??? 30g of sugar is HUGE!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    30g of sugar isn't a lot for a smoothie really. Fruit contains a lot of sugar. And a lot of people add milk or fruit juice on top of fresh fruit. More sugar.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat WAYYY too much sugar and I don't know how to cut down. Is it really necessary though? I mean, I don't have diabetes and I'm 18. I get lots of exercise and I don't eat cakes and candies. Sometimes I eat cookies and frozen yogurt. But on an average day... I don't and my sugar is still too much. Anyone have any advice?
    My diary is open for anyone to read so just check it out if you want and let me know.
    Thanks.
    You aren't diabetic. You can eat as much sugar as you want, as long as you stick to your calorie goals and ensure to get enough protein, fat, and nutrients.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Don't bother tracking your sugar. I've heard that tracking your sugar and carbs is basically the same thing. If you're getting your sugar from fruits, its nothing to worry about. As long as you are sticking with your calorie goal, its all good :)
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    You aren't diabetic. You can eat as much sugar as you want, as long as you stick to your calorie goals and ensure to get enough protein, fat, and nutrients.
    tiger you pretty smart about health and fittness (i truly mean that)so I was wondering if you know if refined sugar is really worse then natural sugar or do I bodys pretty much process it the same?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    tiger you pretty smart about health and fittness (i truly mean that)so I was wondering if you know if refined sugar is really worse then natural sugar or do I bodys pretty much process it the same?

yup. barring a pre-existing condition, if you keep in your calories you aren't going to be eating too much sugar. don't even bother to track it.

and andy, far as I understand, the body will break down sugar exactly the same. doesn't matter if it comes from a grape or a canister on my counter.
  • budhandy
    Options
    Thanks.

yup. barring a pre-existing condition, if you keep in your calories you aren't going to be eating too much sugar. don't even bother to track it.

and andy, far as I understand, the body will break down sugar exactly the same. doesn't matter if it comes from a grape or a canister on my counter.
    thats what I thought, ty tsh0ck
  • fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar so much, MFP doesn't really delineate "good" and "bad" sugars. Watermelon has 18 grams of sugar, for example, and no one can argue that watermelon is BAD for you or that you need to eliminate watermelon.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    if you start reading labels, you will notice that there seems to be added sugar in everything. I am diabetic now, but I have eaten whatever I wanted all my life and am diabetic because of my weight. Learning good eating habits now, will serve you well throughout the rest of your life. I have started trying to cut out all foods with added sugar. I have noticed that foods seem to taste better, especially fruits, which I have never cared for before. I also find that I don't have cravings like I did before. You don't have to cut out sugar completely right now, but just be mindful of what you are eating.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

She can't stick to her calorie goal AND get enough protein if she eats as much sugar as she wants. Simple math.
  • keveem
    keveem Posts: 8
    Options
    It's the Almond butter and yogurt. I use to eat Almond butter and banana every morning but I had to stop. Even know Almond butter is a good fat you still can have to much. Try the raw Almond butter it will cut the sugar.
  • budhandy
    Options
    Thanks.

She can't stick to her calorie goal AND get enough protein if she eats as much sugar as she wants. Simple math.
    hows that
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

uh .... why?

(and she isn't eating 'as much sugar she wants.' you make it sound like she -- or others -- sit above a bowl of sugar, spoon in hand. yeesh.)
  • s41e6
    s41e6 Posts: 15
    Options
    Do you feel like you're addicted to the sugar? It can be difficult to cut because sugar and/or HFCS is in nearly every packaged food. The problem with sugar is that often it's just empty calories. You can easily fill up your calories for the day with sugar and have no room left for real nutrition. Try giving up all sugar and sweet things for a few days, even natural sugars from fruit. Once you start adding sugars back, they will seem so sweet that you'll want less of them.
  • amy12321
    Options
    You don't need to focus on eliminating sugar as much as eliminating REFINED sugar, which really has zero health benefits and can increase your cravings. I was a complete sugar addict all my life, could polish off half a dozen cupcakes in one sitting and had - no, NEEDED - candy daily. I went sugar-free in March and although the first few weeks were tough, I haven't had any desire to eat candy, cookies or sweets now! They're just not appealing. And, for the first time EVER - I've noticed my muffin top is nearly gone. So it does work!

As for your diary - what the heck are you putting in your smoothies, girl??? 30g of sugar is HUGE!
    I just put fruit, fat free plain yogurt, water, and almond butter.
  • amy12321
    Options
    Stop eating Jam, Brownies, chocolate and cookies, I think it's pretty straight forward :) Refined sugars aren't really good for you, sugars from fruit on other hand shouldn't really count unless you are diabetic because the benefits outweigh the amount of sugar.
    The brownies are made with stevia, black beans, and such. They contain no refined sugar at all.
    I've eaten jam probably twice in the past year. It's just that most days I seem to be over on sugar even if I don't eat cookies or frozen yogurt something.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Don't bother tracking your sugar. I've heard that tracking your sugar and carbs is basically the same thing. If you're getting your sugar from fruits, its nothing to worry about. As long as you are sticking with your calorie goal, its all good :)

tracking sugar and carbs is basically the same thing?