losing weight faster without exercising ?

Options
ummm i was wondering has this happened to some of you? it happened to me 4 years ago,i wasn't exercising at all and i've lost 8 kilos in 2 months. now i'm exercising 4-5 times a week and i've lost 4 kilos in 2 months.
why is this so? i want to exercise.
has anybody experienced this?

Replies

• AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    because by exercising you gain muscle, which weighs more than fat..
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    but can i gain muscle if i eat 1200 cals a day? and muscle doesn't weight more than fat...it just takes less space
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    bump
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't gaining muscle on a 1200 calorie diet. However, if you have less muscle than you did last time you dieted, you may lose more slowly. Water weight fluctuations play in as well. When I lift, I retain water for a day or two afterward. I'm sure that other exercise has a similar effect on the muscles. Just be diligent and the weight will come off.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You need to eat the exercise calories to lose.

It's easier to lose without exercising because it's a simpler calculation. The more you burn the more your body is looking for fuel. The more you're craving food. Your body is like a machine that needs to be adequately fueled and maintained.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes....'Abs are made in the kitchen'... I think 70% of what we look like stems from what we eat...the other is from exercise and genetics.

Plus, you're probably gaining muscle while exercising.... Or maybe you weigh less then you did before? I find the smaller I am the harder it is to lose weight because I have less fat.
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    You probably aren't gaining muscle on a 1200 calorie diet. However, if you have less muscle than you did last time you dieted, you may lose more slowly. Water weight fluctuations play in as well. When I lift, I retain water for a day or two afterward. I'm sure that other exercise has a similar effect on the muscles. Just be diligent and the weight will come off.
    i was thinking about the water weight too but the scale didn't move :/
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options

No 1lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as 1lb of fat.

Fat takes up more space than muscle.

Muscle boosts the metabolism the more you work out and create muscle the more efficient your body will burn fat
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't gaining muscle on a 1200 calorie diet. However, if you have less muscle than you did last time you dieted, you may lose more slowly.

There's a lot of truth to this statement.
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    As the saying goes....'Abs are made in the kitchen'... I think 70% of what we look like stems from what we eat...the other is from exercise and genetics.

Plus, you're probably gaining muscle while exercising.... Or maybe you weigh less then you did before? I find the smaller I am the harder it is to lose weight because I have less fat.
    i'm bigger than i was 4 years ago when i lost 8 kilos :( my start weight 4 years ago was 68 kgs and now it was 73 kgs
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    oh and one more thing.
    i had an ED for the past two years...can this be a reason that i'm losing weight slower?
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    Eat back what you exercise. & Make sure you're eating well, not just less.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Options
    This might explain what I mentioned about some muscle loss, which equals a slower metabolism. It may in your best interest to eat more calories and try to build some muscle so that you can burn more in the long run.
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    This might explain what I mentioned about some muscle loss, which equals a slower metabolism. It may in your best interest to eat more calories and try to build some muscle so that you can burn more in the long run.
    so if i eat back my exercise calories will i be losing faster than without eating exercise calorise?
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    bump
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Options
    so if i eat back my exercise calories will i be losing faster than without eating exercise calorise?

Many will argue that you should eat back your exercise calories because MFP figures out how many calories you need to burn to lose a certain amount of weight per week. So, for example, if you are set to lose one pound a week, eating the calories MFP tells you to eat SHOULD result in that loss without exercising. Therefore, you exercise so that you can eat more.

I, personally, rarely ate back my exercise calories while I was actively losing weight. I figured that as long as I got at least the minimum nutrition my body needed (calories and macros), the extra burned calories were just icing on the proverbial cake. I cannot speak for others, but I never hit a plateau and I never experienced 'starvation mode'. I ate more when I was hungry, and less when I wasn't, but I never allowed myself to starve.

You will get a lot of advice about this topic. You will have to decide what makes the most sense to you and do that. Good luck!

I have now changed my focus from losing to building muscle, so I am eating back some of my exercise calories to help with the building process.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First off, your health and fitness is not a sprint. Don't worry about the scale showing a lower number, taking longer this time than a previous time. The primary concept to get the head wrapped around is to get fit in a sustainable way.

If you are exercising this time and consuming more calories to replenish the added deficit caused by said exercise, you are actually retaining muscle tissue. Just so there is no confusion, that is a good thing.

Previously, when in a caloric deficit and not exercising, your body was shedding both fat and muscle tissue to compensate for the reduced calories. Muscle has a higher biological cost than fat due to it consumes more calories just to sit there. If you aren't using it, the body will get rid of it because it is too expensive to keep.

So yeah. if you are exercising this time, the scale will change more slowly. It is very logical and healthier.

Keep in mind it is about being a more fit you, not a number or a clothing size or looking like someone else. Also keep in mind "fit" encompasses the whole package: weight, body composition, cardiovascular conditioning, strength, balance, etc.
  • laurajordana
    laurajordana Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    but can i gain muscle if i eat 1200 cals a day? and muscle doesn't weight more than fat...it just takes less space
    right... i think when people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean if you have a certain amount of space and fill it with either muscle or fat, the muscle would weigh more
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    same experience here, but i didn't really like the way i looked without exercise.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    When I first started.. the weight came off slower but I noticed huge changes in my clothes and the shape of my body. I think I was both losing fat and gaining muscle and they evened out. I added an extra days cardio, paid more attention to macros, and moved from lots of sodium and processed foods (just watching cals) to a much cleaner diet. I lose 2-2 /12 lbs a week regularly on a 1300 calorie diet and 5 solid workouts. I am still building muscle, toning up, and decreasing body fat. My lean muscle mass has increased not decreased. However, I am 5'1. If you are taller.. 1200-1300 calories may not be adequate.