Protein powder and losing weight/toning up??

Options
OK so this might sound like a dumb question, but whenever anyone mentions protein shakes I instantly think of men wanting to bulk up on muscle.:tongue: Anyway I was chatting to a female friend who says she has protein shakes everyday to help tone up and curb her appetite and I think she wants to lose a few pounds too. So, I guess what I am asking is will it not have the opposite effect and bulk up on muscle instead of make you toned and slender?? I started the 30 day shred today as I want to lose quite a bit of weight and I want to know if I am missing out and should be drinking them too lol:drinker:

Replies

• thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sure about this but I think the reason guys use it when they are bulking up is because it throws them over there normal calorie intake and gives them a protein boost. To bulk up you have to eat more calories then you do to lose weight.

On the protein powder we have at home it says for dieters to mix it with water and for people bulking to add peanut butter or use milk with it.

As long as the protein powder does not throw you over your daily calorie goal you shouldn't bulk up. But just like anything else drinkable like soda if it doesn't keep you from being hungry then it is just empty calories. It is a good way to get protein in your diet though if you aren't eating enough.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I drink it to help fill me up, build muscle and relieve muscle soreness. Protein powder is not just for bulking up.

I love adding a bit to my smoothies. :) Or using it for making little cakes or other baking.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    A protein supplement is just that...a supplement. It's supplementing your diet with protein. Not all protein powders are created equal. Some have added carbohydrates and fats, all designed to suit those who are using them for any number of diets from cutting, bulking, low carb etc.

As far as using a protein supplement to "tone" (which is also called losing body fat) or to lose weight in general, will all depend on your overall calorie intake vs. your calorie expenditure. Simply taking a protein supplement will not cause you to gain muscle, nor will it magically cause weight or fat loss.

Use the protein supplement to "supplement" your diet if it's lacking in protein (0.8g per lb of lean body mass is a good goal if you've never researched this on your own), or out of convenience perhaps. Just keep in mind, it's just protein in most cases and you want a diet that is balanced. If using it to replace a meal, read the label, and consider adding some carbohydrates and fats to it to balance it out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A protein supplement is just that...a supplement. It's supplementing your diet with protein. Not all protein powders are created equal. Some have added carbohydrates and fats, all designed to suit those who are using them for any number of diets from cutting, bulking, low carb etc.

As far as using a protein supplement to "tone" (which is also called losing body fat) or to lose weight in general, will all depend on your overall calorie intake vs. your calorie expenditure. Simply taking a protein supplement will not cause you to gain muscle, nor will it magically cause weight or fat loss.

Use the protein supplement to "supplement" your diet if it's lacking in protein (0.8g per lb of lean body mass is a good goal if you've never researched this on your own), or out of convenience perhaps. Just keep in mind, it's just protein in most cases and you want a diet that is balanced. If using it to replace a meal, read the label, and consider adding some carbohydrates and fats to it to balance it out.

This!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I've just started with muscle milk as a supplement when I am lazy...otherwise, I have whey protein that I use to make smoothies...I use it to balance out the carbs
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I too will affirm this.

Many increase their protein intake while in caloric deficit to help retain muscle tissue while losing weight. Doing so goes hand in hand with some form of resistance style training.
  • xxpinkcandyxx
    xxpinkcandyxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Im definitely going to look into it a bit more and maybe start to use it too as I know for a fact I dont get enough protein in my diet. And I can be quite bad with skipping meals and grabbing something to snack on that is usually not healthy!! So if i can incorporate that in instead i guess it would be doing me much more good than a biscuit or a packet of crisps!!!
  • gp79
    Options
    I've just started with muscle milk as a supplement when I am lazy...otherwise, I have whey protein that I use to make smoothies...I use it to balance out the carbs

Using protein to balance out carbs, even if it puts you in a calorie surplus? This is assuming you are wanting to have a calorie deficit?
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

Using protein to balance out carbs, even if it puts you in a calorie surplus? This is assuming you are wanting to have a calorie deficit?

No, I try to maintain a calorie deficit and get protein thru lean meats, nuts...but, I am trying to watch fat as well. Like I said, I use it as a supplement.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My protein shakes have actually slowed my weight loss, though I'm not willing to give them up because I love it for breakfast/after workout. I'm on a very low carb WOE and use a 0 carb whey protein isolate with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, sometimes adding natural peanut butter or unsweetened cocoa for extra flavor.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    DH had been telling me for over a year to drink a protein shake (he does protein powder + water). I just could not get it out of my head that it would make me "man-like" and stop ne from losing weight.

So, I had some female friends suggest that I should increase my protein. I did research and sure enough, it looked like I should have 1gram/lean muscle mass.

So, I increased my protein and I drink whey protein (I choose one with low carbs) + skim milk. I do not have this as a meal replacement. I have it after I workout at night or as a mid-morning snack on the days that I workout in the morning.

I have lost weight! I have not gained any manly muscles but I do have nice lean muscles. it does work! GP79's advice is right on! Do not be scared to use a protein powder!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    it's okay if you use it as a supplement as other have said. I like bsn dessert protein, it's low carb and the best tasting one I have found to date. I put it in a smoothies and use it as a meal replacement.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Protein is the one of the nutrients that will not give energy, instead it costs the body calories just to break it down... why the atkins diet works...

That being said, it can be used to boost your weight loss goals.

The reason it helps... when you're exercising, your actually destroying your body's muscles. Protein it gives your body the materials it needs to repair it's self.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Protein is the one of the nutrients that will not give energy, instead it costs the body calories just to break it down... why the atkins diet works...

The reason it helps... when you're exercising, your actually destroying your body's muscles. Protein it gives your body the materials it needs to repair it's self.

I never realized this. :) Thanks for sharing.

I drink protein shakes, but not everyday. I am on a tight schedule *and* a tight budget most of the time, which sometimes causes me to eat less protein than I should. It is a good on-the-go snack or meal, imo.

I use designer whey and it is only 100 cals a scoop and it always makes my belly feel full afterward. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

If your suggesting that protein is calorie neutral or calorie negative, that is total BS. The calories to digest protein do not equal it's energy. Totally false.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

If your suggesting that protein is calorie neutral or calorie negative, that is total BS. The calories to digest protein do not equal it's energy. Totally false.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/42494/food_and_drink/
    protein_burns_calories_and_wont_make_you_hungry_easily.html
    My source, where are you getting yours?
  • gp79
    Options

Negative. Do not listen to this advice.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Negative. Do not listen to this advice.

O.o
    I never know who to believe! Lol.

If it *is* untrue, that's probably why I've never heard it though. Lol.
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i use protein powder for bulking and to lose fat,if you wanna lose fat then take this with water and use it like a meal replacement and you will see results,if you wanna build muscle than use it with milk and make sure to be in a calorie surplus
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/42494/food_and_drink/
    protein_burns_calories_and_wont_make_you_hungry_easily.html
    My source, where are you getting yours?

The source is not great, but even if you take it as scientific fact it does NOT say that protein does't give you energy. It says protein takes more energy to break down than carbs or fat. The reason Atkins works, in my opinion, is protein keeps you very full so its difficult to eat too many calories.