Another HRM question thread.....

Options
Okay, weird question. The heartrate monitors that have the chest straps, when you get sweaty wont they slide down? Does anyone has issues with them not staying put? Is is worn above or below teh bra area? And is the chest strap the best type or HRM as opposed to the wrist watch type?

Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    my chest strap doesn't slip and I wear it under my jogbra strap. I see other women's much lower. I sweat a ton during spin and have never had it move. Sorry, can't answer the other question, except that I love my HRM.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I thought all of the hrm had chest straps with wrist watches to display the information.?

I wear mine just below where my bra sits and no it does not slide down when I get sweaty - and I get very very very sweaty.:embarassed:
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    wrist only not as good as chest strap
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If I wear mine without a workout bra (maybe doing yoga so just have a tee shirt on) it TOTALLY slides down on me :angry:

So I just make sure to wear a workout bra all the time when I'm working out so I don't get aggravated with the bloody thing moving around. :glasses:

And yes, get a HRM with a chest strap.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I wear mine just under my chest, as they say.

When it has "moved" because it doesn't really slide down. I realized that I must have lost another 1/2 to 1 inch on my chest, and the adjustable strap just gets tightened.

Chest straps are more reliable than wrist watch types.
    Without chest strap HRM's you have to stop your exercise and put your finger on the watch so it can get a reading, then exercise more, and repeat so the watch gets an average of your heartbeat during workout.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The ones with the chest strap are more accurate.

The chest strap shouldn't move but if you are small enough in the chest area, the strap might be too big and then it can move. I have this problem. I wear it criss-cross to get around that -- under one boob and over the other.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Chest straps are more reliable than wrist watch types.
    Without chest strap HRM's you have to stop your exercise and put your finger on the watch so it can get a reading, then exercise more, and repeat so the watch gets an average of your heartbeat during workout.

Thanks for sharing this information!:flowerforyou:
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So how inaccurate are we talking for just the wrist type?

That's the sort I just got and there is a HUGE discrepancy between what it says that I burned and what this site suggests I would have burned.

I was doing intervals with the couch to 5k and measured several times throughout the workout. My heart rate was around the upper 150s to lower 160s when walking and pretty steadily 180 or 181 when jogging. And there is like a 300 or 400 calorie difference between what my watch says and what myfitnesspal says.

Hope I haven't hi-jacked this thread. Thought it was at least semi-related. Thanks.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I also tuck mine under my bra strap. This helps because I am a pear shape (skinny on top huge on the bottom) and the strap is too large even at its tightest.