Restaurant Marinade

Options
lar4290
lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
Help! I'm usually really good about estimating restaurant calories, even though I typically go to local restaurants instead of chains (thus no calories posted online). I typically add in a liberal amount of oil, etc. based on cooking style and measure the ingredients in the dish. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for estimating calories in marinades however? I know how to estimate when I'm at home (measuring what's in and then what's left over after the food has soaked). Any rule-of-thumb, however, when eating out?

Replies

• thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. I have a hard enough time figuring out the calories in the seasonings and mixes I make at home let alone figuring out what a local restaurant is using.

What I would do is contact the manager of the establishment or maybe talk to the head cook and just ask them if they can give you the nutritional information off of the ingredients they use. I imagine they won't tell you the recipe itself but maybe they can give you basics of what the nutritional info is for each ingredient they use in their meals.

For some reason I thought all restaurants were required to have nutritional information available to customers. I guess that is just for national and regional chains. We have a local pizza restaurant that doesn't have info and its a buffet. I use the calorie count from Cici's pizza instead since the pizza sizes they use are similar and I only eat one topping anyways.