Eating before exercise??

Options
If I am working out early in the morning I find it very hard to eat as I feel full when in the gym and cannot exercise. My dilemma is that if I don't eat I then have no energy!!!

It is fine if I work out any other time but to eat properly for a 7am workout would mean me having to get out of bed at 5am which is a bit crazy!! Any ideas???

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like to run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. To make sure I can get through my workout I will eat a decent meal the night before... even sometimes over my calories knowing I'm going to work them off in the morning.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    eat a banana or a cereal bar
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I will try both out and see how I go :-)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If I'm running late to the gym and don't have time for my pre-workout ritual (coffee plus ~300-400 calories of mostly complex carbohydrates and sugars ~1-2 hours prior) then it's a milk chuggaroo and maybe grab an apple or some other piece of fruit for the road.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I usually workout fasted. I find if I eat much of anything before, I get a little queasy.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I usually workout fasted. I find if I eat much of anything before, I get a little queasy.
    Me too. I run on an empty stomach or else i'll feel sick. If I run long (8+ miles) I'll have an energy pack (GU for me) after an hour of running.

I eat when i'm done.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    some people think that you burn more fat if you do cardio on the morning before breakfast. but if strength traininn in the morning you need some energy.

I agree with the glass of milk before exercise though. energy, but not a filling thing that will make you blergh
  • Frillytutu
    Frillytutu Posts: 1
    Options
    I always exercise first thing in the morning, because otherwise you have to wait ages before your food settles - and it just takes too much time! Sometimes I feel weak though - but if you exercise straight away when you get up, I find it isn't as bad. I feel worse if I get up really late, or sit for ages before exercising. If I'm feeling really weak, or am going to have a big exercise I'l grab a small handful of cereal and have some fruit juice.

I think you probably should just try a few things and see what works best for you.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I usually workout in the AM without eating. i drink a bottle of water in the am and on the way to the gym. After the gym..I've noticed I'm not hungry immediately following so I have time to prepare my meals...Try a light breakfast 1st such as a cereal bar, boiled eggs, or fruit.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always base my workouts on what time I eat in order to avoid this problem
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I will eat a slice of wheat bread with some peanut butter on top. light and a good mix of protein/carbs I think.
  • naiils
    naiils Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm only new so this may not be the best advice. I have an Isowhey protein shake minutes prior to my cardio & it keeps me going long after I finish. I don't know your circumstances however, if your really unfit & you push yourself too hard you will more than likely be sick - regardless of what if anything you've eaten.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Couple of suggestions:

1) eat a decent sized meal before you go to bed
    or
    2) chug a protein drink in the morning.