Just broke my baby toe!!!!!

Options
smccb
smccb Posts: 99 Member
I just broke my baby toe. Not a super bad break (not bending in any funny directions) but has all the other symptoms.

I am currently doing Turbofire and really don't want to stop. Very recently I had to take three weeks off my exercise routine because of the flu, and I felt that it took a long time to get back to the shape I was in pre-flu.

I feel perfectly fine but this little toe is making me feel like a cripple. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as healing time?

Also, can anyone suggest exercises I can do for now? Would heavy weight lifting be good to keep up with my current fitness level? How heavy and what should I do - I have never tried it but many people on this site seem to swear by it? Ideally I would like something I can start Monday.

Thanks!

Sarah

Replies

• wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    Buddy tape it to its next door neighbor toe (unless you have toe shoes then that def. wouldnt work!) but thats about the best cure for a broken toe. Motrin and couple of weeks should do the trick!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry!!! I did that a couple of months ago, it turned all black and blue and I still did my walks!!!:ohwell:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Buddy tape it to its next door neighbor toe (unless you have toe shoes then that def. wouldnt work!) but thats about the best cure for a broken toe. Motrin and couple of weeks should do the trick!

This exactly!!! I did this a couple years ago, 3 days before a dance performance. Owww! Lol. The show must go on, right? Also, try not toxhange your walking much or you'll throw the rest of your body out of wack.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I agree. I was at a Taekwondo competition a few years ago, breaking boards. I went to break one with an overhead kick and broke my second toe, along with the board. My sensei just taped it to my big toe and I finished the competition. It didn't take long to heal and was just painful for a few days.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, tape it to the next door toe. I've broken every toe on my left foot (separate occasions) and I still found a way to be active.
    There's really nothing the doctor can do about it either. It's such a pain in the *kitten* to have a broken toe.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I did the same thing when I slipped down the stairs a few years ago. Went to the hospital, they just said to rest it as much as possible, don't strap it up, it'll heal up fine in 4-6 weeks. I know it hurts like hell now but it will get better soon. :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that! I broke mine years ago, only I managed to also dislocate it, so it was pointing straight out to the side! I was laughing through tears, it hurt so bad but looked so ridiculous! :tongue: Tried to have hubby pop it back into place, but it was too painful - I eventually landed in the ER for the dumb thing.

Anyway - I'd say what everyone else has said - buddy tape it, take it easy, maybe ice it & elevate it if it's swelling or painful throughout the day. And if you can keep working out without too much pain, or without having to change your stance or balance too much, go for it.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I broke the toe next to my little one not that long ago. For work reasons i had to go to the Doctor and get it X-Rayed, which confirmed that i had broken the one toe in 2 places :( I broke it on 15th April, and while it doesn't hurt anymore it is still not quiet 100%
    Doctor said about 4-5 weeks to heal.

So instead of my usual exercise (Horse Riding and Fitness Dvds) i have been using a stationary exercise bike which didn't hurt my toe at all, plus push ups and crunches.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    does your gym have one of these?
    http://www.fitnesscor.com/flwacyreupbo.html

If you want to start weights, start on fairly low weight. just lift once, if way too easy go up one notch.
    you should be able to lift 5-10 times without straining yourself, but being able to feel the work being done
    you should do 2 reps of each type when you start and move up to 3 or more later. You would also go up to 15 times per rep.
    If you don't know form, use the machines. they separate the muscle groups and make it less likely you will hurt another body part. Also they mostly have pictures on them showing you how to use them. Get advice if it's available to you.

I broke a finger once and taped it to another with electrical tape. Took the tape off after 2nd day and retaped. It healed but is a little bent.