Spinach Craze?

Options
bradshaws
bradshaws Posts: 23 Member
I'm new to this site (and I love it, you are all very inspirational and have awesome food ideas) but I was curious about one thing... what's the deal with all of the spinach? I see A LOT of you throwing it in meals, but mainly shocked at smoothies with spinach!

Basically.. why the spinach craze?!

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others but I have started eating more spinach recently not only because it is low in calories (as are other leafy green veggies) but also because it is rich in other nutrients.

Here is some information on the nutrients found in spinach:

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/spinach.html

I guess Popeye the Sailor man knew what he was talking about. :laugh:

Lately, with strawberries now coming into season, one of my favourite quick fixes is spinach salad, with strawberries and walnut or pecan pieces and raspberry vinagrette dressing.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've always loved spinach, and as the previous poster said, it's great for you as well!
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cause it's delicious and good for you :)
    It's a good source of iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, potassium, etc etc. Such an easy way to get the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
  • bradshaws
    bradshaws Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others but I have started eating more spinach recently not only because it is low in calories (as are other leafy green veggies) but also because it is rich in other nutrients.

Here is some information on the nutrients found in spinach:

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/spinach.html

I guess Popeye the Sailor man knew what he was talking about. :laugh:

Lately, with strawberries now coming into season, one of my favourite quick fixes is spinach salad, with strawberries and walnut or pecan pieces and raspberry vinagrette dressing.

I had an awesome salad today! Basically Greek, but it had spinach instead of lettuce, cherry tomatos, cucumbers and bit of feta. I mainly started the switch from lettuce to baby spinach because of how much I hate the heart of lettuce.

Thanks for the link! it just seems like an odd thing to add into smoothies that have fruit. Or so I thought! haha
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I"m not a veggie fan, but spinach is one of the few that I like lol mostly b/c you can replace it on tacos, burgers, salads for the lettuce and theres not a huge taste difference (I eat the spinach raw) but the benefits are amazing lol