Is is ok to eat a snack at night?

Options
2»

Replies

• premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    if that works for you, do it. Protein shake over a ton of junk, yep.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a 1/2 cup of coconut milk frozen desert (like ice cream, but made from coconut milk) and 5 maria cookies most nights around 9pm - I'm working on 'em as I type this. They do not send me over my cals for the day and as you can see by my ticker, I'm losing weight. My opinion, a little snack at night doesn't hurt.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Sounds like that's working for you...why question success? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    I agree with this!

Personally I use to try to totally avoid eating close to bed time, but then I heard a sleep expert that said you should have a high protein snack just before bed. It maintains your blood sugar through the night helping you to sleep better and not wake up so groggy. That made sense to me so I tried it, and I've been doing it ever since. I do believe it helps!
  • x12jenar13x
    x12jenar13x Posts: 15
    Options
    This is what I do, around 6pm I eat my dinner which is loaded with protein(3 hours before I go to sleep). If I want to have a snack after dinner, I would have a casein protein shake since it's a slow release protein. It's made to be drink before bed. You can also drink it during the day especially on your none workout day. I don't snack on any type of food before I go to sleep, especially the ones that has sugars because your body would not know what to do with since you use less energy when sleeping. So your body has no choice but to store those as body fat.

Just to add, all of my three meals has loads of protein. Proteins takes longer to digest and uses lots of calories just to burn them. You also stay full. With doing this type of plan, I don't really need a snack before I go to bed. It works for me, maybe it will work for you.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I sure hope it's okay because I eat a lot at night! I love bedtime snacks!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Yes it is ok, there are several studies showing that eating later at night produce better hormonal profiles over eating them earlier in the day. I was once a hardcore eat all your cals earlier in the day and not at night kinda person but after trying out some different programs I am now a hardcore believer in eating the bulk of my cals later in the day and especially post weight training. http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html this is a useful link to read up on as well.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've read so many conflicting articles on this, I don't know what to believe. Some say you should eat your calories before 6pm, others say it doesn't matter WHEN you get in all your calories for the day. I tend to drink a protein shake around 8pm, otherwise I get hungry and end up splurging on junk food. The protein shake keeps me from doing that. So is it ok, or not?

The people who say not to eat your calories after 6pm, are the same people who believe eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It's "THEIR" eating pattern they are trying to impose on you.

What you need to do is set YOUR OWN eating pattern that is...

Convenient
    Allows you to meet your calorie goal for the day
    Allows you to be social if you want, without eating in excess of your goals.

If you aren't hungry when you wake up, why eat?
    If you aren't hungry for lunch, why eat?
  • KimInsanityP
    Options
    If it aint broke, don't fix it! Protein is great for curbing hunger, so if it works keep doing it!
  • angelovearth
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies everybody!