From Couch to 5K

Options
Hello everyone!

I know this subject may have already been talked about, but I am not sure how to search old threads.

I apprecaite any input!!

I have heard good things about the "Couch to 5K" runnning program but I am unsure where to go to find out what it is...how to do it....etc. I found some info on one website but it was not very thourough.

Also, has anyone been successful with this program and if you have done it...did you like it? I am not an experienced runner. In fact, I can barely jog for more then a few minutes without almost keeling over so maybe this program can be really helpful to me??

THANKS!!!

Replies

• amykati
    amykati Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. I did it during my maternity leave. Google Couch to 5k. It'll usually take you to coolrunning.com They have a printable schedule that helps you gradually increase your running.
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing this program. I have never ever been a runner but this program eases you into it. If you go to the cool running website it has the program on it for free. It is very easy to follow. I am doing Day 2 of Week 4 this evening. Give it a try, it really does work. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • MrBinkerton
    MrBinkerton Posts: 109
    Options
    Great! Thank you both so much for your help! :) I will find this website and print off the information. I will let you know how it goes :) Im excited to start
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 for the second time. I have found the podcasts to be very helpful for me. Robert Ulrey has one that is good. I don't care for the music much so switched to Suz's hip/hop one. They both tell you when to change from a walk to a run and back. Here are some sites:

This is the actual cool runnings site with the C25K info.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

here is Ulrey's podcast site

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

and here is Suz's

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

if you are offended by some dirty language, Suz may not be for you (some of the songs have some questionable language in them but I like hip/hop). I like it for the beat. I am sure there are others but these are the ones I have found. I don't have an IPOD and put it on my phone and on my MP3 player. They are free to download.

Good Luck and don't get discouraged if you can't get through it all at once. Make sure you take a day off between runs. Like I said, I am on the week 2 a second time and I think I will either go back to do week 1 again or repeat week 2 one more time depending on how my run goes tomorrow. I have definitely NOT ever been a runner but find this an easier way to get started.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I have neer been a runner either and I just finished C25K yesterday! It's incredible - now all I want to do is run!
  • MrBinkerton
    MrBinkerton Posts: 109
    Options
    You all have been really encourgaing!!! I am so excited and I found the weeks schedule online now :) I am starting tonight for the first time and I cant wait. Wish me luck!! Thanks for all of the help.

Also, I do have an ipod and I will have to def look into the podcasts! :)