Binging...and the other thing......

Options
Everyone talks about binging....Does anyone DARE bring up purging? Is it a dirty secret? Is anyone out there afraid (or not afraid) to talk about it? I just clicked on a random link about binging and not one topic was about purging. And btw, I'm not judging, I think it needs to be discussed to maybe help others who might think this behavior works.

Replies

• Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't purge. I think I would have fallen in to this trap if it wasn't for the fact I have a severe phobia of being sick.

It shouldn't be kept a dirty little secret but it is a problem and people need to seek the right help for it.

x
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't purge. I think I would have fallen in to this trap if it wasn't for the fact I have a severe phobia of being sick.

It shouldn't be kept a dirty little secret but it is a problem and people need to seek the right help for it.

x

Yup. I wish the person I'm concerned about would realize they are not losing calories....the cals get absorbed as soon as the food is chewed.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    While I'm on the fence about posting this because I don't want to encourage bad behavior, that is not entirely true. A calorie is a unit of energy. In food, this energy is stored in bonds. If something is not fully digested, the energy stored in it's chemical bonds has not been fully utilized. Purging doesn't make something calorie free, but if undigested pieces come out, the energy in those pieces could not have been harvested.
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I used to binge and then puked. I stopped b/c it was making my teeth yellow. I also realised that it was not a long term goal for me b/c I have a lot of lbs to lose. Thanks for bringing this topic up.
  • cyn4him
    cyn4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for bringing this up. I have struggled with ED for about 20 yrs on and off. Its a terrible thing to fight. And was harder for me to recover from than the drugs. That's why I am here. I need healthy encouragement. I have gone to the pro ana pro mia sites as recent as 6 months ago. I am in recovery and refuse to go down that road again. Stomach problems. Heart problems. Weakness. And only 33. Its very real and very scary. I even stopped coming here for a few weeks after seeing 2 thin girls putting down bigger ones. Those things hurt people. And I had a moment of weakness so left for a small period of time. I have been looking for others who need that same type of support. Or maybe even those I can help too. Or friends and family members who are scared and dont understand it. Ty
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    While I'm on the fence about posting this because I don't want to encourage bad behavior, that is not entirely true. A calorie is a unit of energy. In food, this energy is stored in bonds. If something is not fully digested, the energy stored in it's chemical bonds has not been fully utilized. Purging doesn't make something calorie free, but if undigested pieces come out, the energy in those pieces could not have been harvested.

but what I'm saying is you can ingest 2000 cals in one sitting and absorb most of it. Some people think all of it comes out in the toilet. It only takes one person to read your paragraph and move on......
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

x

This would be me too. I did try purging in my teens, and still think now that I wish I could after a massive binge - I know that it's wrong and that it doesn't help in terms of weight loss but I think just to get rid of the overly full feeling of a binge and 'purge' yourself of it attracts me to it.

I should probably count myself lucky that I can't be sick so that this isn't another disorder that I have to work through, and thankfully, my eating habits are normalising, and I haven't binged properly in months, when it used to happen at least once a week.