Formerly Fat

Options
This was me in 2005... 5'3" tall, weighing in at 215 pounds and wearing size 20 pants.

8Sofat05.jpg

After that I became more active and lost 45 pounds on my own, which lasted until a major knee injury kept me inactive for four months. I thought when the injury healed and I got back to being active the weight would come off again. But here's what I looked like a full year after becoming active again, weighing in at 200 pounds and wearing size 16 pants.

Fatrunner.jpg

In March of 2011 a health coach I was working with suggested MFP to me, and I finally faced the fact that if I really wanted to lose weight and keep it off, I would have to change my eating habits. Since then, I have gradually made changes, and this is me today at my goal weight of 120 pounds, wearing size 4 pants!

11May12.jpg

As hard as it has been to change my eating habits to lose 80 pounds over the course of the past year, I think the hardest part is starting today... keeping the weight off. I've read that 95% of people who lose weight regain it. I really think that I can be in the 5% who keep it off because I've looked at this all along as permanent changes I'm making to my eating habits rather than as a diet that I would quit when I've lost the weight. Having MFP and all the support here has been so crucial to the success I've had so far, so I plan to keep using it for maintenance. And any advice any of you have about maintaining weight loss would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    that is so awesome, you inspire me.
  • chrissydrske
    chrissydrske Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    congrads on your weightloss.
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Look at you!!! Way to go! Woo hoo!
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I've lost weight, but not the amount you have, and I've managed to keep it off for almost three years. I began working out, 15 minutes of fast walking, Feb of 2006; but because my main goal was controlling my type II diabetes, I just focused on movement and not my weight which was 175lbs. I was too embarrassed to even get into a photograph, so I don't really have before and after only after pics and that's because I my daughter-in-law snapped it commando style.

As long as you continue working out with whatever your exercise of choice is, you should be fine. I found that once exercising became a way of life, my food cravings changed and I could control my appitite.

Good luck to you and you look fabulous. I'm always amazed at how people's faces change for the better (you look beautiful) after the weight comes off. :happy:
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Fantastic
  • jennfeustel123
    jennfeustel123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Soooo awesome!!!
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    Thank you! It's good to hear this. I've been in regular exercise habits for far longer than I've been in good eating habits and absolutely love to run and to ski. I hope it will be as helpful to me in keeping the weight off as it is for you!
    As long as you continue working out with whatever your exercise of choice is, you should be fine. I found that once exercising became a way of life, my food cravings changed and I could control my appitite.

Good luck to you and you look fabulous. I'm always amazed at how people's faces change for the better (you look beautiful) after the weight comes off. :happy:
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    maryb2374, I really like the quote you have for your user pic! It's so true!
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    holy ****, that is awesome!!
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    Wow! your inspiring! and you look 15 years younger! congratulations!! :happy:
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration! That's wonderful, very happy to see that.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    What a transformation. i think for me (I fell off the wagon and gained lots back, but not all) IS to keep weighing yourself weekly or once a month. I hate that I left it till I gained 30 pounds back before I started to watch what i was eating again. Watch for changes in cloths and fitness and weight.
    thanks for sharing the pictures, your progress and results are inspiring.
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Looking good. Great work. Lot's of people do gain back the weight so I understand your concerns. But, they gain it back when they go back to their old habits. Your mental strength and MFP will help you stay on track.
  • jillybean
    jillybean Posts: 57
    Options
    You definitely will be in the 5% that keep it off!. Just keep applying what you did to lose the weight. Think about how healthy you are now and how good health is a gift and not one to take for granted. You are an inspiration to us all!
  • lampson1
    lampson1 Posts: 25
    Options
    You look AMAZING! From size 20 to Size 4 pants....that is incredible! GREAT JOB!!! You are an inspiration! Were you a runner before your weight loss journey? Was it something you enjoyed or something you learned to enjoy along your journey?
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! You look great and I believe you will maintain it without a hitch!
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. You look great. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you, you look great!!! Your first battle was losing the weight and you learned new habits to help you along the way. In maintenance you are going to need to rely on those healthy habits to keep your weight off. I think most people gain their weight back because they slip back into their bad habits. Just like someone with an addiction, you have to be aware of temptations and slip ups. See if there is a support forum here of people on maintenance. Good luck with your continued success!!
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!