5k NSV - Blown Away

Options
spotteddrafter
spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
I started the c25k program about 5.5 weeks ago - I just completed W4D1 on Friday (I had to miss some time due to the flu and a mini vacation). I have been doing 5ks pretty consistently for the past couple of years, but always walking them.

Today I was entered into 2 events - a 2mile fun walk benefiting the local humane society, and a 5k run/walk benefiting a very ill man in our town who has no insurance. The 2-mile walk was great this morning - I had my 7yo son so had to go a bit slower at the walk than I've been used to doing the c25k program. Then I went home and mowed my medium-sized yard. After only about an hour of rest, I met up with my momma and headed to the 5k. She asked if we should jog some of it (of course, I didn't think we were, so I wore my non-running shoes) and I said sure, just do whatever you're comfortable doing.

This 5k was the most brutal of any I've done - several large hills to go up, whereas the others I've done in the past have always been on flat ground. I've also been running c25k in my very flat neighborhood.

Well....after all of that....my final time today was a new personal best....46:19.5!! We jogged off and on, and the rest of the time we did a good-paced walk. I came home to find out that I was 4th out of my age group! While I am super happy with it, I have to wonder if I would've done better without all the other stuff I did today? I still can't believe that I finished so quickly! :)

One thing I really noticed today - the c25k program really, really works! I was able to make it much further jogging than I ever couple have imagined in the past, and I'm only on week 4. I was able to focus on breathing, pace, my body, and never had the feeling like I needed to stop....and all those hills didn't get the best of me!

On to the next.....I am signed up for my next 5k on Memorial Day weekend and I'm seriously considering jogging as much as I possibly can. To be continued.....

Oh, and just for reference - I am an almost 34yo female, 5' 9" and 242#.

Replies

• Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You definitely would have done better had you been fresh for your 5k, but props to you for surviving such a busy day! Well done and keep at it! :-)

PS - I'm lovin' your pony. ;-)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    That's great!! You will be running the whole thing before you know it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!