Why do some women drop the baby weight and others dont?

Options
124»

Replies

• DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    eating too much or wrong things, not exercising enough... all kinds of things....
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hormones. If you have a natural birth, your hormones can level out more quickly than if you've had a c-section. My doctor said it can take a year for your hormones to go back to normal after giving birth. That's not an excuse, but a reason. You just have to take the appropriate action and maybe work a little harder to get back in shape.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Omg! I kno i am sadly one of those women who just didnt drop the baby weight.. I had my only child 6yrs ago and ever since then my stomach went from a flat sexy tummy tooooooooo :/ a saggy stomach that I swear gets bigger when I over indulge.. but now im on the right track working out and I may NOT be able to afford surgery but Im gonna work hard to get it to look at least better than it does now less droopy and yea I know its possible cuz I have seen some amazing before and after pic changes from women off MFP that have done it.And inspire me to know it is possible!. so yeaup.. thats the goal at hand :)

NO MORE DROOPY BELLY!
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    After my first baby was born, I lost 38 pounds just by having him. I only gained about 40. I exercised, ate healthy and ended up losing even more weight to get below what I weighed when I first got pregnant.

My next two pregnancies were a little different... first of all, I had two more c-sections pretty close together... my youngest two are only 14 months apart... I got pregnant with my 3rd when my 2nd was 5 months old and still nursing... and after she was born, I was going through a lot in my life and I didn't take good care of myself and eat right and exercise like I did after my first one... that's why I kept the baby weight then.

You don't have to keep the baby weight. And you don't have to gain a lot of weight.
    Get fit now. When you get pregnant, stay fit. Keep eating healthy and keep exercising. Walking is great during pregnancy. I even danced during pregnancy. It will be easier, though, if you are fit before you get pregnant. Then, after baby is born, take care of yourself.

Most people that keep the weight don't take care of themselves. That's why they don't lose it.

At least that's what I've seen...
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely plan on nursing when I have kids--- I've heard that helps a lot!

Lies, all lies. Breastfeeding hangs on to my reserves like they're going outta style. I GAINED 5lbs back after delivery thanks to breastfeeding. Do not blindly listen to "What To Expect", because then you expect all the wrong things.

And some women just have to work harder than others to get it off. Hormones mess wth everything, sometimes to advantage, sometimes not. I didn't have trouble working it off, in the sense that once I got more active again it came off easily enough in the right places,, but weight did not just fall off my butt like butter in the summertime without me doing anything.

Also, people who "eat for two": All lies. 300 extra calories a day is a large bowl of cereal, and definitely doesn't feed another person. Do not kid yourself, there aren't two adult-sized, Ben & Jerry's-lovin' peeps hanging out in your body.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    As women, I don't think we realize how terrible a hormone imbalance can be for us. I was at 155 right after giving birth to my son, and at 5'8", that's right around where I want to be and look my best. But the progestin based birth control I had implanted at my six week checkup really screwed with me. I gained fifteen lbs at my heaviest in two months, lost an extreme amount of hair, was sitting in a dark room all day, and would sweat literally as soon as I stepped out of the shower. That's an extreme case of hormonal imbalance due to something unnatural in my body. Now that its out I cannot express how much better I feel, and the weight is finally coming off.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the process of losing the baby weight from my last pregnancy.
    A lot of the ladies on here have said breast feeding helped them lose weight. Did NOT happen for me. I was watching what I was eating and exercising. But breast feeding made me feel like a bottomless pit. I was always STARVING.
    I didn't start to really lose the weight until I quit nursing.
    If you read my profile. I was still running in my 3rd trimester. I gained the same amount wirh my 1st as I did with my 5th. Even though with my 1st I ate everything in site. And with my 5th I watched what I ate and was running. I think my body has a weight it wants to be at when pregnant.
    My being healthy and active with my last pregnancy did help with the way I felt during my pregnancy. I didn't have morning sickness at all. I wasn't as achy or tired. I felt GREAT my last pregnancy.
    I'm about 10-15 lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight. I have no doubt I'll get there. If you want it bad enough and fight for it you'll lose it.
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding! Breastfeeding burns 300 to 500 calories and it helps the uterus to go back to its pre-baby size. I have two children and I lost all the baby weight within 6 months. I had a lot of pre-baby weight that I am now losing. I am 15lbs lighter than when I conceived my now 11 month old and the weight is coming off slowly but surely. I attribute a good bit of my weightloss to breastfeeding.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Three reasons:
    1) Diet
    2) Exercise
    3) Breastfeeding (300-500 calories/day, and the ability to drop lower body fat better than any of time in a woman's life)