Not related to weight but Sunburn help!

Options
2»

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If the skin starts to peel and it begins itching like crazy, take an antihistamine. This will dry up the moisture beneath the dead skin which is causing it to itch.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Take an anti-inflammatory. Apply a 1% hydrocortisone cream. If the skin feels hot, lay a cool wash cloth on top. Later apply an antioxidant serum, like vitamin C or E.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Noxema skin cream/cleanser. The stuff in the blue tub. slather on a thick layer and just let it sit. It has menthol in it which will lower skin temperature on contact ( that is why it feels cold EVERY time you put it on), and your skin will absorb all the moisture in the cream and leave a thick protective layer on top of your skin.

^^^^This^^^^

I had a terrible burn & nothing was making it feel better, I used aloe, solarcane, etc & then I remembered my mother using noxema on me as a kid. It felt better on contact & the redness & pain reduced much more quickly.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    As strange as this sounds newsprint help take the heat out, like laying on it. You might get some ink on you.
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    Rags soaked in cold water help too, especially if you don't have any of the ingredients listed for the suggestions above. You just really want to keep the skin hydrated and cool (which is what aloe accomplishes). And whatever you do, DO NOT pop blisters (if you think burnt arms hurt, try having pus-oozing infected arms...)

I'm a super pale redhead, so I know your pain!
  • thenderson52
    Options
    old school trick. take bowl of white vinegar and a bunch of paper towels. soak paper towels in vinegar, wring them out lightly, and lay across burned area. the vinegar will draw the heat out of your skin soothing the burn. the towels moisure will dry up then put back into bowl and do again and in turn you will usually turn to a very nice brown in a few days

we did this when we were younger before people knew about skin cancer.

it does work and you will feel relief ...i think its way better than aloe.

sure it smells but its not unbearable and much worth it to stop the pain

and congrats on your bike ride!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    best bet, before you go rubbing anything onto your skin, is to have a bath or shower in the coolest water you can stand and stay in there for at least 10 mins but more if you can do it.

After that I would avoid adding too much to your poor skin but, if you still have your normal sun protection lotion, use that, as surprisingly that still helps after the burn! Don't put anything gel like and avoid oil too. Any lotion that you do use, cool in your fridge first. If you start to blister seek medical help without delay. Anti histimines do help too and drink lots of water as sun burn is quite toxic. As soon as you can, get some shop bought aftersun or anything else that a chemist recommends rather than putting lots of different old wives tales on your skin!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Noxema skin cream/cleanser. The stuff in the blue tub. slather on a thick layer and just let it sit. It has menthol in it which will lower skin temperature on contact ( that is why it feels cold EVERY time you put it on), and your skin will absorb all the moisture in the cream and leave a thick protective layer on top of your skin.

^^^^This^^^^

I had a terrible burn & nothing was making it feel better, I used aloe, solarcane, etc & then I remembered my mother using noxema on me as a kid. It felt better on contact & the redness & pain reduced much more quickly.

I 3rd the Noxzema!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

^^^^This^^^^

I used to use noxzema when I was a kid too, but I was told it's not good, even though it feels nice in the short term.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The menthol in Noxema is a skin irritant - not good for sunburn. The coolness does feel good but I would not use it.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Rags soaked in cold water help too, especially if you don't have any of the ingredients listed for the suggestions above. You just really want to keep the skin hydrated and cool (which is what aloe accomplishes). And whatever you do, DO NOT pop blisters (if you think burnt arms hurt, try having pus-oozing infected arms...)

I'm a super pale redhead, so I know your pain!

1. Cold shower (if the pressure is not too high, or else it will sting) or bath.
    2. Hydrate like crazy
    3. Cold compress (wet towel)
    4. Solarcaine or aloe and apply often as your skin will absorb it quickly. This is also important when it stops hurting as it will help with reducing the skin peeling. This may sound weird, but at the beginning, if you don't have any of those but you have mint toothpaste (smooth gel-like...none of the gritty kind) that works well too (put a good thick layer). Do NOT under any circumstance put oil or oil based product...that's an old wife's tale and will make matters worst.
    5. Protect the sunburned area from any type of exposure to the sun until it is healed. And yes, by this I don't mean just put sunblock, I mean a hat (if our face is where you have the sunburn) or long sleeved shirt...even if its 30C outside.

Also, vinegar will feel good, but it will dry the skin, so I would not use it on your skin.

I'm a redhead and I have 2 colours: white and sunburned, so I've been there...
  • jmillig
    jmillig Posts: 4
    Options
    Milk also helps with sun burns, and oatmeal. Any milk will do but I've heard whole milk works best but anything works so long as its not hot.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have some stuff by Ocean Potion - called Instant Burn relief ICE (it has Aloe Vera/Lidocaine/Tea Tree extract in it).. It is the best stuff.. I have used it quite a few times on me & familiy.. I tell everyone about it.. I bought mine at walmart for under 5 bucks.. It looks like blue jelly in a clear bottle.. It cools right away & take that pain away quickly.. I swear by it.. Good luck & hope you feel better quick..
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sudocrem nappy rash cream works like a charm. I put it on overnight and it the morning all the redness has gone.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In one of my first aid certifications we were taught to use menthol shaving cream. It's hard to find now here, but that is probably why the Noxema is working if it has menthol in it. I know it worked on a cooking burn I had a few years ago.

Also, my grandmother would put mustard straight from the fridge on our burns when I was a kid. Worked better then anything else I've ever used. But I'm also Native American and don't get sunburned, so the only time I've used either is on other types of burns.