Sierra Blanca, TX...I need a lawyer.

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
So, MFP friends...our son needs a lawyer. Anyone from the Sierra Blanca, TX area or El Paso who can recommend a criminal lawyer to us? He was picked up on marijuana possession.

I wanted to leave him on his own to figure this out but then I started reading about the drug laws in TX and I think he needs a lawyer.

Not sure how to pay for one yet, but I think it is needed.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Donna
(We live in NY)

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    So, MFP friends...our son needs a lawyer. Anyone from the Sierra Blanca, TX area or El Paso who can recommend a criminal lawyer to us? He was picked up on marijuana possession.

I wanted to leave him on his own to figure this out but then I started reading about the drug laws in TX and I think he needs a lawyer.

Not sure how to pay for one yet, but I think it is needed.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Donna
    (We live in NY)

Oh, Donna-- I'm sorry. I have no ties to Texas, so can't be of any help. Just wanted to give you some hugs. My older kids are giving me fits, too-- sighhh.

Hang in there--

hugs from New Jersey.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your son is indeed in a bad spot. Although I've lived in the EP/Las Cruces area most of my life I dont know any lawyers personally so cant offer advice there. Sierra Blanca is maybe the worst place in the US to have a bag in ones pocket. Arrest numbers there are amazingly high as it is a popular drug crossing from Mexico. Minor drug charges in TX can mean real prison time even for a first offender. Depending on how much your son had this could be a hefty fine for him, county jail or for an amount considered trafficking or intent to distribute he could face years. Federal charges result if he was caught crossing or right after crossing the border.
    Im sorry he got himself into this but, he is in real trouble here and he really does need your help. This could ruin his life, or much worse once he is inside the general population of the TX prison system.
    Good luck.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

He was released on bond around midnight on Sunday. He will be on his way home tomorrow morning. We did hire a lawyer, Louis Lopez who will represent him when he has his trial. It will most likely be a misdemeanor so , lots of money but hopefully no record and no jail time.

Happy Mother's Day!

D