Tips on how to get more fiber in your diet?

Options
KJackson50
KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
Hey all,

Was just wondering how some of you get more fiber in your diet? Can someone give me a list of foods high in fiber, or some personal experiences?

Thanks.

Replies

• soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    whole fruits will do it. fiber one cereals , oatmeal

here is some info http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/highfiber.htm

Highest Fiber Vegetables
    Avocado
    Beans
    Broccoli*
    Brussels sprouts*
    Cabbage*
    Carrot
    Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
    Eggplant
    Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens*
    Lima beans
    Mushrooms
    Potato with skin
    Pumpkin, canned
    Peas -- black-eyed peas, green peas
    Peppers
    Rhubarb
    Spinach*
    Sweet Potatoes

* These high-fiber vegetables are also goitrogenic, meaning that they promote thyroid enlargement and can potentially cause or aggravate hypothyroidism. Typically, the risk is highest when these foods are consumed raw, regularly, and in substantial quantity. Cooking eliminates most goitrogenic properties.

Highest Fiber Fruits
    Apples
    Avocado
    Bananas
    Berries -- Blueberies, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.
    Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, etc.
    Guava
    Kiwi
    Orange
    Pears
    Prunes

Other High Fiber Foods
    Bran Cereals, 5-10 grams - All-Bran, Bran Buds, 100% Bran, Raisin Bran
    Bread, whole grain
    Beans, Lentils, Lima Beans
    Nuts -- Almonds, Brazil nuts, Peanuts, Walnuts, Cashews

Mary Shomon, About.com's Thyroid Guide since 1997, is a nationally-known patient advocate and best-selling author of 10 books on health, including "The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss," "Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know," "Living Well With Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism," "Living Well With Autoimmune Disease," "Living Well With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia," and the "Thyroid Guide to Fertility, Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Success." Click here for more information on Mary Shomon.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    you can also get like a fiber powder that you can put into foods or drinks. something like metamucil
  • 4rgl
    4rgl Posts: 106
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies for me. If you dont like to eat fruit by itself you can always throw a bunch in the blender add some ff milk or soy or almond or whatever milk you like and make a smoothie.
    Also when im grocery shopping for things other than produce i always look for the higher fiber brand. For example cereal, you can get all bran buds i think thats what its called. Its low in calories and high in fiber, throw in a bunch of fruit in there and you got yourself a high fiber breakfast. It doesnt have to be that specific brand but if you comPare before you buy you will certainly find higher fiber ones.
    Same goes for toast or buns, pancake mixes ..always go for the higher fiber brand. It all adds up at the end of the day.
    If you like tortillas i know a great one. La tortilla factory brand only 100calories and i believe 9 grams of fiber.
    Lastly beans lentils chickpeas and the like are rich in fiber.

Feel free to add me as a friend and msg me if u need any high fiber recipes. Tell me what kind of food you like and i can try and come up with a recipe for you. I cook a lot and would be glad to help.

Editing to add: if you are watching calories watch out for nuts and dried fruits. Although healthy and high in fiber they are also high in calories and its so easy to go overboard with them
  • KJackson50
    Options
    I like the idea of Metamucil. I like veggies and all but not a whole lot as you can tell! I think that would be a good option for me at the moment until I can start buying better foods and such.
  • KJackson50
    Options
    ok sounds good
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Benefiber has these little flavored packets that you can add to bottled water and that works pretty well. Theres also a pretty good line of Fiber One products out there. They have cereal and snack bars that have a pretty good amount of fiber in them and they taste pretty good too. Salads always help too obviously as well as some fruits. I know alot of people get tired of salads but I personally love them because theres so much you can do with them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds and Flax / Linseed is high in fiber and easy to add to all sorts of stuff.