can I use vegetable oil in ear?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I relaise this is an odd question.. lol but late last night I was using cotton bud on ear and took it out an cotton was still inside.

Someone said on internet to flush it out with water, so got in shower to see if it would wash out, I assumed it must have as could no longer feel it, but this morning it still feels like something there deeper down (can feel it if i squeeze behind ear)

I can't get to doctors until tomorrow morning, it would be easier for me to nip down to local surgery in powerchair tomorrow as ambulances won't take wheelchairs if I go to A & E and my bro and his wife have gone away for the day so can't drive me there with manual chair.

I read about using a little warm oil and its usually saying olive oil but I only have vegetable oil in the house, would that work too?

If I put finger in outer ear area just inside I can't feel anything there so if it is still in there it must be deeper down? I haven't got any tweezers but tried a small hair clip yesterday and couldn't get the end of it when it was closer to outer ear.

Only other oil I have is a chinese stir fry oil with soy, garlic and ginger in but would make ear stink.. lol

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nope. Go see the doctor, even if you have to wait until tomorrow. Oil can sometimes be useful for wax, but for a blockage like that I doubt it would work.
    Why people still clean their ears with cotton buds I do not know - never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do this yourself, go and see the GP. It's very likely still in there and will give you a hell of an infection if you temper around on your own :S otherwise I agree with above... do not use cotton buds to clean ear... it even says on the cotton buds
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt stick anything in your ear as you might do damage.

If its not bothering you I would wait till tomorrow but I know how it can be when you know it there and that alone makes it bother you.

Can't say on the other oils I remember my mom using olive oil for ear aches and that is all I grew up on using around ears.
    Good luck
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My professional advice, do not put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    go to a pharmacy!!!
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with it wait till you can see a doctor. I use q tips all the time just don't go inside my ear I only clean all the grooves in the outside and gently around my ear hole. Not too deep or this happens.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    my local pharmacy not open its sunday and as I said I'm housebound and in wheelchair.

There's no pain so I'll wait to ring doctor tomorrow I can get into local surgery with powerchair, ambulances won't take them so when I come out how do I get home?

Sometimes doctor will send community nurse if weather bad or chair broke down so might be able to get them to send nurse to me to look sometime tomorrow if none of their doctors at surgery are free tomorrow.

My mum also used to put warm olive oil in ear when I had ear ache, so that's what made me ask.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If it isn't hurting then leave it alone and wait for the doctor of pharmacy tomorrow. I may of washed out in the shower and you didn't see it and may just feel like it is still there because your ear is a bit bruised. The way I know the saying is " Don't put anything in your except your elbow " as it is impossible to do.

As an extra tip for you regarding vegetable oil toss it out and buy olive oil ! ! ! Vegetable oil is one of the things that is bad for our eyes it has been said it can contribute to Macular Degeneration which causes blindness. Have Olive oils and / or butter instead of vegetable oil also have lots of green leafy vegies to help protect your eyes.

Hope all goes well
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Why are people so concerned with putting a cotton swab in their ear, yet they strap themselves inside 2500# of steel and hurtle themselves down the highway, risking almost certain death if a collision were to occur.