I'm so sick of trying

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for over 7 years and I have not lost one pound. I don't know what I need, maybe a good kick in the butt. I don't know how many things i have tried to lose weight but I really don't want to give up on it. That in it self scares me. Some times I think it's because I hate myself but really think that it the weight that makes me feel that way. You might be asking what are you looking for. Maybe a little glimmer of hope. Maybe someone has the same struggle and found something that help. Well anyway thanks for listening. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can offer a little advice.

What is it EXACTLY that youve been doing to lose weight?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing.........you must do it for yourself, no one here can do it for you.

A glimmer of hope- I am 48 yr old mother of 3 grown children. I gained 60 pounds over the years and felt like crap. I thought I couldnt lose because I was too old, too out of shape, too far gone.

Then I had an automobile accident and was injured. Now I really had an excuse to remain the same. How could I lose weight if I had nothing else to do but eat and sit and watch TV.

Then I met a great physical therapist that showed me what I was capable of doing. I started small and worked my way up and it just CAUGHT this time. I GOT it!

I have lost 31 pounds but what I have gained is far better than what I have lost.
    I gained self confidence, health, and self worth.

You can do this if you truly want to.

One day-TOday just start. Dont think about tomorrow, or next week. Just for today you will eat X amount of calories. You will log all your food. You will walk to the corner and back ( I actually did this. ONE block I walked on my first exercise night!) Start small and build up.

You CAN do this.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing.........you must do it for yourself, no one here can do it for you.

A glimmer of hope- I am 48 yr old mother of 3 grown children. I gained 60 pounds over the years and felt like crap. I thought I couldnt lose because I was too old, too out of shape, too far gone.

Then I had an automobile accident and was injured. Now I really had an excuse to remain the same. How could I lose weight if I had nothing else to do but eat and sit and watch TV.

Then I met a great physical therapist that showed me what I was capable of doing. I started small and worked my way up and it just CAUGHT this time. I GOT it!

I have lost 31 pounds but what I have gained is far better than what I have lost.
    I gained self confidence, health, and self worth.

You can do this if you truly want to.

One day-TOday just start. Dont think about tomorrow, or next week. Just for today you will eat X amount of calories. You will log all your food. You will walk to the corner and back ( I actually did this. ONE block I walked on my first exercise night!) Start small and build up.

You CAN do this.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie

Excellent advice Jeannie!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for over 7 years and I have not lost one pound. I don't know what I need, maybe a good kick in the butt. I don't know how many things i have tried to lose weight but I really don't want to give up on it. That in it self scares me. Some times I think it's because I hate myself but really think that it the weight that makes me feel that way. You might be asking what are you looking for. Maybe a little glimmer of hope. Maybe someone has the same struggle and found something that help. Well anyway thanks for listening. :flowerforyou:

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    You are DEFINITELY not alone! :noway: Most of us here have struggled with weight issues our whole lives! It's a never ending battle! :grumble:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I wish I could remember who, but one of the wonderful people on MFP gave me the best advice- it's really helped me get through those tough days. **If it was you,let me know... and know that it's helped me trememdously!! :flowerforyou:** They said not to think too much. I had "fallen off the wagon" for a week or so- had a relative in the hospital, co-worker/friend in trouble w/ the law, family drama:noway: :explode: :cry: :ohwell: and life had basically gotten in the way of working out, eating well, and logging my calories.

Inevitably, life slowed back down and I said "one more day" then I'm back on track. One day led to two, which led to three, etc. etc. etc.- you get the idea:ohwell: Pretty soon it had been two and a half weeks, and I had convinced myself that I was "crazy" when I was logging all of my calories, and that there is no way I can do that long term- I was being irrational and unrealistic doing all that crazy stuff! :laugh: :noway:

Then, when I turned to MFP for advice (as you have today) a MFP-er said "Don't think about it too much- just do it!" Sounds like a big DUH!!:grumble: but it's true. Don't think, just do it. I was getting myself so worked up about 'oh my god tomorrow i have to get back to the grind stone- i have to run tomorrow... i wonder if it's going to be super hard since i've taken so much time off....' It's difficult to explain exactly how this helped me, but I just couldn't let you post go by without putting my two cents in. :flowerforyou:

I have been on MFP since the end of March. The first month I lost almost 11 pounds:happy: - we went on a cruise at the end of April, and I was SUPER motivated to be able to wear a bathing suit. When we came back, I had gained 5 pounds in a week! :laugh: So, I started again. Long story short: as you can tell from my ticker I'm not back to being 11 pounds under my start weight today- mid July. I've kind of yo-yo'd between 148-145 for the last two months or so (the previously mentioned "falling off the wagon" incident didn't help!) but I believe that I am SO successful. I look better, I feel better. In March I was walking about 30 minutes every morning- burning about 125 calories. Towards the end of April, until the beginning of June I was burning about 340 calories a day on the elliptical in about 30 minutes a day, and I'm currently doing the Couch to 5k running program, and will be running my first 5k at the end of August :drinker:

My point being, that the scale DOES NOT measure success. Of course, the lower the better, and I do a little dance when the numbers are lower:laugh: . But, I've found that measuring success and finding happiness outside of the scale will make me more successful. As arewethereyet said, you have to do it for you- because you LIKE it, not because you LIKE the scale (when it reads in your favor).
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, we try SO hard, but in all the wrong ways. We're our own worst enemy.

I had a late baby (in my 40's) and although I only gained 30 lbs with the pregnancy, I could not lose it. Nothing worked. I tried eating less, skipping meals, fat free everything, buying exercise CD's and exercising, diet shakes, diet plans of all kinds, pills like hydroxycut, ephedra, metabolife, and straight hoodia as well as vitamins, 'healthy foods' like whole wheat and juice and guess what? NOTHING WORKED. Those pounds stuck to me like glue and even invited a couple of their friends to hang out.

There are reasons. Valid ones, that I could not lose the weight. I really was starving myself and I'd long since killed my metabolism. It's taken over a month of hard work to get myself back on track...eating enough, of the right foods, and working out productively. Taking vitamins but no garbage quick fixes. And it's starting to come off. I want to lose it slowly and keep it off, so I'm in no rush. But I do feel much healthier and don't feel that I'm dieting, but living healthy.

You can too.

Talk to us. What have you tried in the past? What are your goals? What didn't work and if you know, why?

It does help to have support. It helps a LOT.
  • radtech
    radtech Posts: 20
    Options
    I have tried a lot of things to lose weight but never followed thru. I am trying something new. I have this old pair of shorts that i loved wearing however i just got too thick for them so now those are my first goal shorts. I loved how i felt wearing them and i know getting back into them would give me that same feeling. maybe Just find something that made you feel good and work towards feeling that again.