Snacking in the car?

My husband is on the road a lot. He needs snacks that he can take in the car that will not melt or go bad that is at least semi-healthy. He usually stops by the convenience store in the middle of his shift but would rather have a healthy snack that he can eat on the go. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Apples, grapes, and carrots are some of my favs! If he needs it to be more filling, the JIF peanut butter to go cups are AWESOME! Also, 100 cal packs if he wants something sweet or salty, granola bars, almonds, etc. :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
    I pack a small cooler with snacks for the road. Veggie sticks, cheese, protein shake powder, water, nuts etc.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    All natural protein/snack bars. I eat mine as meals because I try to eat every couple hours and I like clif bars (luna, mojo, builder) , purefit bars, or balance bars.
  • Kep2005
    Kep2005 Posts: 57 Member
    Special K chips are really good, Special K bars, granola bars, apples, oranges. If he can carry a small cooler with him, he can pack some fruit & veggies.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    When Im on the road its not uncommon for me to work 12 to 14 hour shifts. Cliff bars are good I also try to keep some protein shakes with me. Supplement that with Fruit for breakfast and when possible a healthy dinner ( I like grilled fish). The main thing to remember is that the protein bars are meals not candy bars at 200 PLUS calories per serving one will keep you full for a while. The secret is sustainable calories not junk food.

Good luck

PS atkins has some that are tasty and will quench the candy fix.
  • k9caver
    k9caver Posts: 4
    Advocare has some good meal replacement shakes and bars, as well as snack bars

https://www.advocare.com/1204564/default.aspx

I have a crazy busy schedule at work, and hit the floor running and usually don't have time to take a break or lunch, so the shakes and bars REALLY save me from starvation headaches (as well as having my body shut down & go into starvation mode & hang onto all the fat!)

I also ** LOVE ** www.justtomatoes.com --- freeze dried fruit !! You can get it in large bags or bins or individual serving size bags -- it is literally JUST fruit (or veggie) so in a hot car, it is not going to go bad, in a ziplock bag, it will stay dry & crunchy. I find that it makes a yummy snack and it is not messy.

You could also combine the fruit with the shakes -- they have powdered versions of the fruit -- you could take a pinch of the fruit powder & mix it in with a protein shake for a flavor boost ---- or add it to water for a bit of zest . . . . many options!