Just did my weigh in but not sure if this is right

Options
So I am finally for the first time, truly and completely committed to losing weight. Last week I weighed myself, measured myself & took pictures etc. And started a journal (just on MS Word Blog, I'm not going to publish it, it's just for me to be able to see if I am improving).

Now I check my home scale with a 5lbs. hand weight before I weigh myself just to make sure that it's not to far off.

According to it I lost 4.6lbs from last week to this week. Can this be done with just watching what I eat? I am pretty active because I dance everyday, but I was going to start an actual workout plan (cardio and strength training) and I wasn't able to last week but I kept a really close eye on my food and am super proud of myself. I practiced great portion control and found myself getting comfortably full (rather than feeling bloated and sick) every time I was eating.

Is this normal or should I be worried? I thought it was only healthy to lose 2lbs a week? I don't want to sabotage myself by doing something wrong.

Replies

• RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...

Especially near the beginning it is common to drop larger amounts of weight.

I was dropping 20 pounds in a month when I first started.

Congrats by the way! :)
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's normal to lose a little bit more the first week. Everytime I have ever started restricting calories I have lost 3 to 5 pounds the first week. It slows down after about 3 weeks for me. Congratulations! =)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Very common, especially if you totally changed the way you eat.

The same thing happened to me. I then promptly put back on five pounds the next week, doing exactly the same thing. It takes a while for your body to get used to new foods, and a consistent intake. Be prepared to flucuate a little bit up and down, and don't take it to heart!

Congrats for starting. Stick with it, and be consistent.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    As has already been said it is pretty common to drop extra weight in the first week or two as your body gets use to the new routine it will level out.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That is normal Congratulations!!