muscle weighs more than fat true or fales

Options
i hear this saying all the time, but is it true i have been on/off exercising for 2 and a half years and weigh 10 stone but people tell me i look about 9 so could it be muscle or fat am a 8-10 size clothes.
when i asked my gym instructer she said it wasnt true

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It DOES when the volume is equal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No it does not weigh more, it weighs exactly the same but is denser and takes up less space!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Waiting for the "pound of muscle" weighs more than a "pound of fat" diva to chime in on this. You'd love her explanation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No it does not weigh more, it weighs exactly the same but is denser and takes up less space!
    If the VOLUME is the same, muscle weighs more, but a pound of muscle DOESN'T weigh more than a pound of fat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the "pound of muscle" weighs more than a "pound of fat" diva to chime in on this. You'd love her explanation.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol :) Love that.

Love the other trick "what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks" :)

Gets them every time ;)
  • fallenangel86
    Options
    thanks x
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    My understanding is that they weigh the same (1 lb = 1 lb) but muscle is denser. So it might weigh the same but will take up a lot less space in your body. That's why even if you feel like you aren't losing weight, your clothes might fit better if you've been working out.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    oh come on, isnt 1 pound of rolling paper lighter then a 1 pound of weights lol, if not do some Tae Bo and it will be! sersouly though 1=1, and musle is just more dense
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Pound of muscle burns 32 cals per day. Pound of fat burns 2 per day. Pick the one you would rather have.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    fat floats, muscle sinks ☺
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    density: fat 1.0kg/l and muscle 1.1kg/l

so basically a kilogram is still a kilo but it's just spread out more in fat
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound is a pound. But it is true that 1 pound of muscle takes up less space then 1 pound of fat. In order to get my clients to understand the difference I compare fat to tennis balls and muscle to super balls (you know those little balls that bounce all over the place). It's not an exact replica of the difference in size, but you get the idea. Which would you rather stuff in your pants, 30 tennis balls (fat) or 30 super balls (muscle). The muscle at equal weight will take up less space in your clothes. And for visual reference, here's an actual replica of 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat so you can see the difference in space that it takes up.

fat-v-muscle3.jpg
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    A pound is a pound is a pound. But it is true that 1 pound of muscle takes up less space then 1 pound of fat. In order to get my clients to understand the difference I compare fat to tennis balls and muscle to super balls (you know those little balls that bounce all over the place). It's not an exact replica of the difference in size, but you get the idea. Which would you rather stuff in your pants, 30 tennis balls (fat) or 30 super balls (muscle). The muscle at equal weight will take up less space in your clothes. And for visual reference, here's an actual replica of 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat so you can see the difference in space that it takes up.

fat-v-muscle3.jpg
    bump ..Very good...As long as my sizze is down to a 10 or 8...I am happy , but the writing , or the pic is on the wall.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

fat-v-muscle3.jpg
    And this.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

It would be just as accurate to say that it takes up exactly the same amount of space but is denser and weighs more.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to believe that anyone thinks a pound of anything weighs more than a pound of anything else. When discussing weight, the "by volume" is implied. Otherwise, everything weighs the same, doesn't it?

The short answer is yes. I have never seen anyone dispute whether or not concrete is heavier than feathers, because, as mentioned, the "by volume" is obvious. People seem to get all caught up in semantics with muscle vs. fat.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options

This is one hundred percent correct!!!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Maybe the saying should be "Muscle is smaller than fat" since people get so bent out of shape when you say it weighs more. But I'm sure someone will argue with that too.
  • denisembari
    denisembari Posts: 11
    Options
    TRUE. IT TAKES UP LESS VOLUME.