Please post your subsitutions and secret foods!

Options
BobOki
BobOki Posts: 245 Member
In my other thread asking for advice I had a few people pm with with suggestions of subsitutions for current foods that were both lower in calories and better for me. One such sugestion was Wonder - wheat bread as it was 50 cals a slice over everyone elses 100, just as an example.

What substitutions do you do to save on cals and/or better for you, and what secret foods have you found? Please, do not reveal your secret identities in the thread unless you feel you must..... clark, looking at you.

Replies

• Jensaystoyou
    Options
    Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix + 1 cup plain greek yogurt + 1/2 cup skim milk + some extra onion and garlic powder = a very low cal ranch dressing. It isn't as good as the real deal, but if you can't give up the creaminess on your salads, it is a good alternative. You will want to let it sit so the flavors can meld a bit before you use it. It might also be good with some fat free sour cream mixed in. I haven't tried that yet.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wheat pasta, low sugar pasta sauce, wheat flour, low fat cheese, almond milk, organic macaroni and cheese, I can't believe it's not butter, greek yogurt wheat bread of course, the list is never ending. You just have to thing about what you eat and look through the store for a healthier alternative.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    spirulina - loaded with proteins
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    cauliflower! it is magical- caulfower mash in place of mashed potatoes and cailiflower " rice" nummy! may no be low cal but is certainly low carb and allergen friendly
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered coconut oil spread at my local grocery store. It is solid like margarine/butter, but has no carbs, fat, sodium, etc. I have no clue what IS in it, but it tastes really good.
  • Erin6794
    Erin6794 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cauliflower! it is magical- caulfower mash in place of mashed potatoes and cailiflower " rice" nummy! may no be low cal but is certainly low carb and allergen friendly

Seconding this, especially the rice! I eat a lot of Indian and Thai and Mexican food so it has been a lifesaver. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm
  • BobOki
    Options
    From another thread posted by : emmamchuge

1. Miracle Noodles (0 calories!):
    this is probably the number 1 most miracle of all foods. They taste pretty much like any noodle (flavorless) except slightly chewier, which is definitively worth it for the 0 calories! you can order them on amazon, and there are a list of shops you can get them in on their official website. and they can NOT ONLY be used as noodles.. i have found a recipe online where you can use them to make 10 CALORIE COOKIES (this is the link > http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.blogspot.com/p/recipes-10-calorie-miracle-chocolate.html ) so all in all, these things are pretty much da bomb.
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

2. Alpro Light Soya Milk (22cal per 100ml)
    Okay, this doesn't taste exactly like normal milk, but it is an excellent alternative if you want to add it to something (e.g: hot chocolate, cereal) and takes away so many calories. A cup of whole milk (250ml) would be 165 calories, where as a cup of this would only be 55calories, when you consider it like that it really is a big difference! Plus its is very nutritious! probably more than actual milk!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.alpro.com/country

3. Hartleys Low Calorie Jelly Pots (8.75 calories!)
    Got a sweet tooth? These are your answer! They come in various flavors: Cranberry & Raspberry, Blueberry & Blackcurrant, Mango & Passionfruit. They really do taste good too!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.hartleysjelly.com/

4.Green Tea. (0 calories)
    This is literally the best thing ever. It has so many benefits, like speeding up your metabolism. I personally always feel great after drinking it, it gives me energy! Plus it fills you up. I could go on and on and on about how much i'd recommend drinking this, just Google it and you'll see what i mean!

5.All-bran Cereal. (80calories/30g serving)
    Okay this isn't very tasty, (its pretty bland) but ill tell you why its great: it has TONSSSS of fibre in it. which 1. fills you the **** up and 2. keeps your digestive system moving. I have it with 125 ml of of the soya milk i mentioned, which is just over 100 calories! seriously great breakfast, like it fills you up soooo much sometimes i have to struggle slightly to finish the bowl! it will definitely keep you going for a good while. If you want to you could add some sugar (or sweetener), raisins, fruit, whatever to improve the flavor!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.all-bran.com/Home.aspx

6.Hovis Nimble Wholemeal Sliced Bread (50calories per slice)
    Theres nothing particularly amazing about this but the fact that 2 slices comes to 100 calories is pretty low for bread, no? compared to some white breads being 93 or so calories per slice!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.hovisbakery.co.uk/

7.Philadelphia Cream Cheese Extra Light (33 calories per 30g serving)
    As far as i know, you can get mini tubs of this too which is handy because you know that you are using the right amount! put it on some toasted Hovis Nimble bread and comes to about 130 calories, decent low calorie meal!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/

8.Cadburies Highlights hot chocolate (40calories per sache)
    Overall this isn't much lower than normal hot chocolate, but again, the benefit of it is that your aware of the amount of calories you're having. Good for curing chocolate cravings. Add it to water, or 250ml of heated Alpro soya milk and it comes to 95cals!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.cadbury.co.uk/ourproducts/today/Pages/productDetails.aspx?category=drinks&product=highlights

9.Any diet fizzy drink (usually 0cal)
    Im aware that most of you probably know about these haha, but just thought id throw them in for good measure, to show my appreciation for diet coke <3
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered coconut oil spread at my local grocery store. It is solid like margarine/butter, but has no carbs, fat, sodium, etc. I have no clue what IS in it, but it tastes really good.

From what I've read, coconut oil has health benefits but like olive oil, its still an oil so should be used in moderation and counted as such. If your 'Coconut Oil Sprad' says it has no fats in it then I'd seriously question it??

However, I'm a big fan of coconut so I'd be interested in a coconut oil spread - never seen one in Australia though :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Aunt Millie's bread - 35 calories, no high fructose corn sugar
    Barley for rice
    Spaghetti squash for noodles
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Aldi Fit and Active Foods- especially the new 14 calorie ice cream and popsicle bars replacing higher calorie cold treats
    caramel and cheese mini rice cakes replacing Chicago Mix popcorn splurges
    shredded cabbage with popcorn chicken, and barbecue sauce replacing barbecue cravings (lived in Memphis for awhile)
    Graham crackers with 1/3rd fat strawberry philly cream cheese replacing cheesecake
    Peanut butter or caramel fiber bar with apple replacing apples and peanut butter (too high fat and not filling enough for me) or caramel apple cravings
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I substitute black bean patties instead of hamburgers at restaurants. I use Almond milk instead of regular milk, same amount of calcium but lower in calories, better in taste. I cook chicken and other meats with water instead of oil and it still gives the non breaded fried taste and look.
  • Delley08
    Delley08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash for noodles

Cauliflower for noodles....oh yes, delish!

PB2 for emergency cravings

Rice Cakes in place of chips... I like the lightly salted

Sugar Snap Peas....great snack anytime

Sugar Free Coffee Syrups....hazelnut is my fav

Joseph's Pita Bread in place of tortillas and wraps....65 calories of goodness

Laughing Cow LIte Cheese wedges.....all flavors sitting in my fridge right now

Adding a steamed veggie to breakfast.....

Hummas instead of high calorie dips

For portion control, my best friends are ice trays and muffin tins...gotta try them...

:drinker:
  • BobOki
    Options
    From another thread poster: Ellestarves

- KANTEN!!
    "There's something called "Kanten," which is made from red algae. Japanese people actually have a diet called the Kanten diet (Google it!). Kanten has virtually no calories, made up of fiber.. and expands to form a gel, which further expands three times+ in your stomach. If you eat this before a meal, you're guaranteed to fill up fast. It has a pleasant and mild taste, you can flavor it any way you like."
    Source:
    http://www.healthkicker.com/758374298/heres-a-secret-asian-diet-tip/

- FryLight 1 Cal Spray
    The idea is that this is meant to be used instead of cooking oil in pans and things, but I use it on toast for a 1 calorie butter replacement :D

I need to try this.

Also, I love the taste of all bran, the fibre content makes me so happy!

Sainsbury's light hot chocolate is only 36 calories :)
  • BobOki
    Options
    From another thread poster: Lect

Drinks:
    I LOVE Great value cherry limeaid -5 cals
    Water
    Great Value Coffee Creamer 30 Calories Per Serving

Sweet:
    Nabsico 100 calorie Mr. Salty Pretzels are awesome.
    Breyers Fat Free Chocolate Ice Cream 90 calories per serving
    Fudgicles are 40 calories per serving
    Popcicles are only 15 cals a pop
    Fat free pudding 60 calories per serving
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches 140 calories per.
    Watermelon under 50 calories for 1 cup chopped. 2.5 cups is a large bowl mounded over for 125 calories.
    Kiwi, around 50 calories per.
    Red grapes are 100 calories per cup
    Strawberries are really low in calories 1 cup (halved) is only 49 calories
    Chocolate Cheerios are about 122 calories per 1 cup and tastes kind of like cocoa puffs
    *Ciao Bella Blood Orange sorbet is 60 calories per serving and is very flavorful. It tips the money scale at almost $5.00 a quart but it is sooo worth it.
    The Chips Ahoy Chocolate drizzle chocolate cookies 100 calorie packs is a great snack that is super chocolaty.
    Minute Maid Juice Bars=awesome 60 calories a piece
    Dannon fit and light yogurt 80 calories
    Edys frozen fruit bars 60-100ish calories
    Delmonte light fruit cocktail 60 calories per 1/2 cup
    Banana 80-120 calories
    Quaker 90 calories snacky thingys the chocolate and the caramel are great!
    Keebler 100 calorie cookies and cream snacky thingys
    Lindt 50% Dark Chocolate 50 calories per square
    Believe it or not... Hershey's Chocolate Bar, half a bar is only 105 calories
    M+M's are only 3.4 Calories per piece
    Orange Dream Bar 70 calories

Savory/Salty
    Reduced Fat Ritz Cracker 70 calories per 5 crackers with Laughing Cow garlic and herb swiss cheese 35 calories per wedge
    Rold Gold Pretzel sticks 100 calories for 48 sticks
    Popcorn. Smartpop has 100 calories bags or even some butter popcorn is 25 calories per cup.
    Salsa and chips are a great option for snacking. 140 calories per 7 large chips and only around 15 calories per 2 tablespoons on salsa.
    Borden String Cheese is 70 calories
    *I have been addicted to fried green peas (not wasabi) They are not that low in calories. it is about 130 per 1/2 cup. The good thing about it is that they are very crunchy and it takes you a long time to eat so it is a great diet food. If you like sunflower seeds you will probably like peas. I get them at the Natural living center for only like $2.00 a pound. It is very cheap. Makes sure you get scoops with enough salt.
    1/2 cup carrots 35 calories
    1 cucumber sliced in vinegar, salt and pepper 45 calories
    Mini babybell light cheese 50 calories
    Pringles Light 70 calories per 14 chips.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I use recipes from Skinnytaste.com quite a bit. Still allows me to have my favorite foods, but I feel a little better about it!
  • julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is salsa on salads instead of dressing
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Endangered species individually wrapped dark chocolate squares-- about 50 calories each, but something about the individually wrapped-ness makes it easier to have just one. Also, they're a bit more expensive than buying a bag of 30 dove squares, so that makes it even easier to avoid reaching in the bag and unwrapping one after another after another.

Also, for salads-- slice raw mushrooms and mix some balsamic or apple cider vinegar with salt and pepper and just a tiny bit of olive oil, then marinate the mushrooms in this. They get so flavorful that you can use them in a salad and you don't need to dress the rest of the salad. You can also add sliced red onions or other seasonings to the marinating mixture.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump for later